BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

Potenza RE760s or Nitto INVO's

Looking to change out my PS2's for a quieter, smoother ride. Anyone have experience with either of these. I would like good crisp turn in response but don't care so much about absolute lateral adhesion (will get track tire/wheel set up for that).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I'm riding on INVOs (coming from PS2s) and I am happy with the overall comfort and grip. They aren't as grippy as the PS2s but honestly who needs that performance for a street application? Nitto makes a solid tire, there are some great reviews of this setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I'm riding on INVOs (coming from PS2s) and I am happy with the overall comfort and grip. They aren't as grippy as the PS2s but honestly who needs that performance for a street application? Nitto makes a solid tire, there are some great reviews of this setup.

What an odd thing to say, considering how many M3 owners have traction issues...

Did you take your medication today Nick?

Wait...do you sell INVO's...
      08-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I found standing start traction to be an issue even with the PS2s, I was more interested in handling around the corners and I could not safely get to the limits of the PS2s outside of a track setting. My point being that the PS2s will offer top notch grip in corners but I can't justify spending that amount for a street application. If we are talking track, then that changes things.

Nitto Invos are sold through Big O and America's Tire, we do not have a distribution agreement with either but nice try
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
RE760's are better than the INVO's from my personal experience. If I could do it all over again I would NOT pick INVO's as my replacements for the PS2s. For my next set I'll be going RE-11's which are similar priced as the INVO's.

A quick test on how bad the INVO's steering response. Get two M3's, one with INVOs and one with PS2s. Go about 50mph and then jerk the steering wheel left and right very fast. The PS2's feel like a direct connection with no lag, while the INVO's lag about .1 seconds. Maybe some people don't care but I find this annoying plus knowing the car didn't come from the factory like this.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I'm riding on INVOs (coming from PS2s) and I am happy with the overall comfort and grip. They aren't as grippy as the PS2s but honestly who needs that performance for a street application?
Good point man. I agree most of us don't need the PS2's level of performance ON THE STREET.

Hey, can you please compare the Invos with the PS2s in noise levels, ride comfort, and longevity (if you've had them long enough, that is)? The M3 needs a tire a notch below the PS2s IMO, with a quieter/softer ride, longer life and cheaper price. The PS2s should be a no-cost 'summer tire' option IMO, since not everybody lives in sunny FL or CA. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Im using RE11's and not only are they quiet but seriously outperform my PS2's.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

That is exactly it! There is no way I am going to get near the performance envelope of my M3 on the street (not without risking jailtime). I want a tire with good steering response and crisp turning without producing an overpowering roar that fills the cabin. For the track I will have a whole different set up....

What is wrong with smooth running tires for the street?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I've got 760's on my OZ wheels now.
I've never tried Invo's but I'm very happy with the ride and low road noise on the 760's.
Regarding the grip, you get what you pay for. Actually it's a little better than I thought.
The price is great considering 20 inch tires. ($190 each) There is a comparison test on the tire rack web site. You should check it out. IMO these tires are like a sore dick, you can't beat it!!! Don't get too aggressive though, you're gonna be in the wall.
They are not PS2's.

Last edited by ADubM3; 09-14-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Honestly I'd recommend either RE-11's, AD08's, or NT-05's. 760's and INVO's just don't cut it for the level at which this car performs.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Honestly I'd recommend either RE-11's, AD08's, or NT-05's. 760's and INVO's just don't cut it for the level at which this car performs.
I agree. Though from the reviews I've heard from some of my friends about the INVOs and how much they really like them. But I'm quite fond of the Yokohama AD08's
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildoc View Post
That is exactly it! There is no way I am going to get near the performance envelope of my M3 on the street (not without risking jailtime). I want a tire with good steering response and crisp turning without producing an overpowering roar that fills the cabin. For the track I will have a whole different set up....

What is wrong with smooth running tires for the street?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't good steering response and crisp turn-in require stiffer side walls, which make for a less comfortable ride?

There is no perfect tire -- IMO you just have to figure out where on the spectrum you fall. Personally, I find the PS2 sidewalls to be slightly on the soft side of perfect. Their initial turn-in isn't quite as sharp as other tires I've driven on.
      08-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

It looks like Hankook is better than both tires.
Here is a thread link of reasonably price performance tire shootout (they compared to PS2 as a target) form C&D.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279362

Out of 9 tires, 760 was at 4th place, Nitto was at 8th place.
Dunlop star sepc was the 1st place but they have very limited tire sizes so we have no luck. But 2nd place Hankook V12 Evo has amazing size collections. =)

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't good steering response and crisp turn-in require stiffer side walls, which make for a less comfortable ride?

There is no perfect tire -- IMO you just have to figure out where on the spectrum you fall. Personally, I find the PS2 sidewalls to be slightly on the soft side of perfect. Their initial turn-in isn't quite as sharp as other tires I've driven on.
Stiffer sidewalls do increase turn in response, but the thing about the PS2, despite how comfortable they are, when you really use them, they've got great grip, until the second they let go. Once you loose the ultimate grip, they loose ALL of it.

Since the AD08 was designed with performance in mind, when you do loose grip, it's very manageable.

I agree with you there is no absolute perfect tire out there for everybody, we all have our preferences, but there are great tires you can choose from categories that will help you find the best personal set.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

[QUOTE=jurrian @ eas;5712686]Stiffer sidewalls do increase turn in response, but the thing about the PS2, despite how comfortable they are, when you really use them, they've got great grip, until the second they let go. Once you loose the ultimate grip, they loose ALL of it./QUOTE]

Hmm really? I was planning on using up the last bit of PS2's on the track/HPDE later this year. Granted im a beginner but maybe this isnt a good idea?

Also I own the Invo's on my aftermarket wheels and yes they are quiet, and very comfortable, actually it was wierd when I first put them on b/c of the lack of tire roar. But yes when I get on it, esp. when accelerating hard between 1st and 2nd the traction control lights up much more than the PS2's.

Ive been thinking of switching tires but been too lazy and the ride is great for cruising around.

On that note anyone need relatively new Invos??
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Hmm really? I was planning on using up the last bit of PS2's on the track/HPDE later this year. Granted im a beginner but maybe this isnt a good idea?

Also I own the Invo's on my aftermarket wheels and yes they are quiet, and very comfortable, actually it was wierd when I first put them on b/c of the lack of tire roar. But yes when I get on it, esp. when accelerating hard between 1st and 2nd the traction control lights up much more than the PS2's.

Ive been thinking of switching tires but been too lazy and the ride is great for cruising around.

On that note anyone need relatively new Invos??
No this doesn't mean you shouldn't use them on the track if you're going to throw them away after anyway (obviously use your discretion of they're basically gone - aka no more tread) - but as a beginner, just take things slow on the track and you should be fine.

After my 7 years of racing, I can easily say, baby steps when it comes to racing is the best advice I can give. I'm sure my good racing friend - Charles @ VMR - can also contest to this, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen beginners go out there and push way to hard, and either

A. Spin off the course and never return to racing
B. Push too hard through a corner and go off track and hit a wall, damage their car in some way, and
C. Guys who push their car and try to prove themselves by passing someone where they shouldn't, and cause a crash.

As I mentioned, take it easy the first few times you go on the track, get a feel for it. If you don't have any professional experience with a race SCHOOL, you might want to look into it. Skip Barber has done wonders for me and everyone I've referred them to, have had great experiences with it to.

As long as you're cool and easy the first few times (especially with those tires with a car that makes 400+ HP) I wouldn't worry about it. And better yet, if you want, choose a date that Charles and I are going to the track, and we can help out a bit
Appreciate 0