BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Bmw M3 Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Factory BMW software update questions.

I'm having the toughest time in getting this done. I tried installing my ESS software, but when I sent the file over, they could not give me a successful tune to load onto my ECU because my car has not been updated to the newest software from BMW.

I called the dealers, and not only do they want to charge me to update my ECU to the newest factory software, but they don't see the need to update it. They don't want to take the risk of ruining the DME/modules during the programming which would NOT be warranted.

My question is, are the dealers allowed to just update the software? I would think BMW comes up with updates to do just that, update the car to newer settings. I can see in their eyes, there is no need to update if there is nothing wrong with the car, but at the same time, the update is there for a reason.

Justin

RPI GT-M - ESS TUNE
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Software updates are covered under warranty if there's reason to believe the update will fix an issue you're reporting, like an SIB for said issue. Otherwise you pay for it, and if you're outside of warranty you pay for it regardless. I understand the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality too, but I agree there must be some reason the software got updated, and I doubt it's always "just to support new models/options".

As far as dealers being reluctant to install updates, I understand the dealer's viewpoint that a botched update would be very bad, but if dealers are so worried about installing an update I think BMW needs to come up with a more reliable updating mechanism....

OP if you're loading ESS software (not sure whether you mean just a tune or the software for their supercharger) just tell them why you want the update and pay for it. The update isn't to fix an issue covered under warranty so even if you technically COULD lie and get it done for free, you're certainly not entitled to it given the reason you want it. And you're going to lose your warranty on that part of the car by going ESS anyway, so there's no point trying to be shady about the preparatory update. Unless you plan to try to bring everything back to stock later if something goes wrong and come to the dealer saying, "Yeah I don't know what happened, it just broke....", but we already had a thread about that a while ago: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592140

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-09-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

In my experience, dealerships will want a valid reason to take your car in for service. Only as part of this work will the tech check to make sure your software is up to date. Updating our software is a long and finicky process, and there isn't incentive for the tech to do it otherwise.

When I brought my car in for service a couple of years ago, they fried my instrument cluster when they attempted to update my software. The piece was on national back order, and as a result, the dealership had to lend me a loaner for nearly a month and pay off that month's car payment on my behalf.

So it's understandable why your dealership is being a little resistant.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I can update the software if you want. I promise not to void your warranty

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's great that this service exists for those not wanting to dable in this themselves!

OP - they have to go through this extended process which will tie up one of their computers, and potentially service bays, for hours. My wife's car had to have the entire ECU reflashed for a headlight issue...took 2 hours, then failed, then took 5 hours and was done. So there is a resource that needs to be used and if BMW isn't reimbursing them, because there is no real issue, then who will pay?

The flash shouldn't take that long, the BMW system isn't efficient, unless there is something I'm missing. Mike probably knows more, and PG has posted on the topic as well...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
It's great that this service exists for those not wanting to dable in this themselves!

OP - they have to go through this extended process which will tie up one of their computers, and potentially service bays, for hours. My wife's car had to have the entire ECU reflashed for a headlight issue...took 2 hours, then failed, then took 5 hours and was done. So there is a resource that needs to be used and if BMW isn't reimbursing them, because there is no real issue, then who will pay?

The flash shouldn't take that long, the BMW system isn't efficient, unless there is something I'm missing. Mike probably knows more, and PG has posted on the topic as well...
Depends what they use. The main issue with the dealer system is that when they perform any update, it flashes many modules and also recodes all of them. Meaning any coding is lost, including retrofits, etc..

The new ICOM systems are extremely fast compared to the stuff they had last year

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
joshe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Hey I need a software DME update for my 2011 N55. Can you do it?

Retired: E92 335i MSport Sapphire black: // aFe intake // Remus quad // AR Downpipe, Secondary cat delete // MHD // BMW PPK // Alpina B3 Flash // Vrsf 5" Stepped IC & CP
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshe92
Quote:
Hey I need a software DME update for my 2011 N55. Can you do it?
Yes, any BMW, any module.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
joshe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Yes, any BMW, any module.
I pm'ed you!

Retired: E92 335i MSport Sapphire black: // aFe intake // Remus quad // AR Downpipe, Secondary cat delete // MHD // BMW PPK // Alpina B3 Flash // Vrsf 5" Stepped IC & CP
Appreciate 0