BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

08-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

BMW Service Center mandatory at 1200miles?

I know the topic of the break in period has been beaten to death, but I need to ask this. I am at 1240 miles and my car hasn't indicated that I need visit the Service Center. On page 124 of the Manual it states "Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do not exceed an engine speed of 5,500rpm or a road speed of 105mph up to 1200 miles". I was wondering if I can go up to 8300 rpms now and 135mph or do I have to wait until my computer tells me to go into BMW Service Center. Is it manatory to go into the BMW Service Center before going to 8300 and using Launch Control? Thank you in advance for answering this.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

YES, it is mandatory!

How many miles are left until service according to Check Control?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Oh wow. But yeah, you need to complete the service first.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
i would get the service first

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
96OCTNE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I plan on taking it to BMW Service Center tomorrow morning. I didn't get a call like most of you or an indication of miles left before Service. I'll run through the computer system again to be sure. I found it odd that when I hit 1200 nothing happened, no warning or anything. I'll hold off on hitting 8300 rpm's until after tomorrow morning's service.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
omfsgraffs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Does it sound right that I brought my car for service this past Wed. and they drained the transmission fluid and now they state that they have to get the new fluid from BMWNA? It has been 6 days since I havent had my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omfsgraffs View Post
Does it sound right that I brought my car for service this past Wed. and they drained the transmission fluid and now they state that they have to get the new fluid from BMWNA? It has been 6 days since I havent had my car.
Oh dear... I hope your car isn't a DCT. If it is, search around for related threads. You will not be pleased. If it isn't a DCT... I can imagine backordered fluid given all the other service "parts" issues we have heard about. Pretty sad the dealers aren't more organized.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
omfsgraffs
Private
Rep

Yes it is a DCT. Whats the problem if it is a DCT?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is a DCT. Whats the problem if it is a DCT?
Search the forum and you will see. Did they just drain the fluid, or did they also fill it up with the wrong fluid as well? If the latter then, essentially, they've ruined your transmission. They must replace it and all supporting hardware (hoses, cooler) or your car will never work properly again.

I would be skeptical if they claim they never put the wrong fluid in. They could be just trying to cover their mistake without having to buy a new transmission. Seems more likely to me that they replaced it, test drove it, it failed, and then they were like "uh-oh!".
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
omfsgraffs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Search the forum and you will see. Did they just drain the fluid, or did they also fill it up with the wrong fluid as well? If the latter then, essentially, they've ruined your transmission. They must replace it and all supporting hardware (hoses, cooler) or your car will never work properly again.

I would be skeptical if they claim they never put the wrong fluid in. They could be just trying to cover their mistake without having to buy a new transmission. Seems more likely to me that they replaced it, test drove it, it failed, and then they were like "uh-oh!".

How do I find out what really happened? The car has been there for 7 days. They told me that they are waiting for the transmission fluid from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do I find out what really happened? The car has been there for 7 days. They told me that they are waiting for the transmission fluid from BMW.
Not sure that there is a way to know what happened for sure. Hopefully they are an honest dealership with an honest service department. Then you can count on what they say to be true. And hopefully when they finally give you your car back, it works fine and you never have another problem.

The fact that they are waiting for the fluid from BMW and it has been 7 days already is completely reasonable. It takes a while to get because its sort of a special order.
Appreciate 0