BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
skayfe
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Modification procedure question

Hi all, creeping round for ages, great site with a wealth of info.

Quick question, when getting a car "chipped" as well as installing an aftermarket x-pipe, is it mandatory for the car to be tuned on a dyno after the mods have been installed?

Sorry the car in question is an 09 E92 M3 with DCT

Thanks guys!

Last edited by skayfe; 02-25-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i would say depends. if it is a custom tune just for your car then the tuner is gonna want to dyno it, or a good tuner anyway

if it is universal software for that X pipe then no you don't have to.

alot of people like to see what there gains are and have the car dyno bf and after though

for instance i have the Dinan Midpipe (x pipe) and Dinan Rear Muffler with there matching software and i didn't need to dyno my car. they did that already in the R&D process and so the software tune is universal for the car
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Not necessary, but very beneficial if possible. A custom tune will always yield better results than "canned" tunes. However these tunes (AA, ESS, etc) can adapt (somewhat) to minor mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
skayfe
Registered
Rep

That's great just the info I needed, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skayfe View Post
Hi all, creeping round for ages, great site with a wealth of info.

Quick question, when getting a car "chipped" as well as installing an aftermarket x-pipe, is it mandatory for the car to be tuned on a dyno after the mods have been installed?

Sorry the car in question is an 09 E92 M3 with DCT

Thanks guys!
You have actually brought up a topic that I had once debated in the past.

It is not mandatory for your car to get tuned on the dyno. You can also mail in your ECU, so that you can get the software upgrade that way too. Or if you're planning to get a Dinan software upgrade, then a qualified Dinan/BMW dealer can provide the upgrade at their location.

However, from my understanding & research, getting dyno tuned has the advantage over a generic software upgrade.

Every car is different, therefore getting custom dyno tuned will adapt & work better with the way your car is, and with all the mods that you have on it.

At one point in time, we held a group buy for Powerchip to fly down to Texas and provide custom dyno tunes for several local M3's. Therefore, I took advantage of that opportuntiy, and had my M3 dyno tuned.

I can't say if it provides a clear advantage, but many experienced folks will agree that it is the preferable way to get tuned. I suppose that's because the tune is specific to your car, and no other. I've also heard that you may gain slightly more power, and the car will perform slightly better.

Overall, I don't think it should be considered a deal breaker, if one were to get a tune without the use of a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
However, from my understanding & research, getting dyno tuned has the advantage over a generic software upgrade.

Every car is different, therefore getting custom dyno tuned will adapt & work better with the way your car is, and with all the mods that you have on it.
As far as my understanding of how the computer works in this car, this info is not true. (most of which is coming from info from Lemans_Blue_M) If I understand correct you set a range of target values for this car and the ECU constantly makes adjustments to stay with in the range.?.? (half question half statement here, anyone else please chime in). You can set different values for certain mods, but they will not be different from car to car... every car with x-pipe will be the same, there's not special tune from one car to the next. This info also makes sense with statements given to me by sponsors on this site doing ECU tunes, they started with one car on the dyno, and once they figured out how to make power it's just the same for every other car with those mods. (specifically put in those words from a tuner on this site).

Anyone have different info?
      02-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
As far as my understanding of how the computer works in this car, this info is not true. (most of which is coming from info from Lemans_Blue_M) If I understand correct you set a range of target values for this car and the ECU constantly makes adjustments to stay with in the range.?.? (half question half statement here, anyone else please chime in). You can set different values for certain mods, but they will not be different from car to car... every car with x-pipe will be the same, there's not special tune from one car to the next. This info also makes sense with statements given to me by sponsors on this site doing ECU tunes, they started with one car on the dyno, and once they figured out how to make power it's just the same for every other car with those mods. (specifically put in those words from a tuner on this site).

Anyone have different info?
yes this is correct, there is no such thing as a "custom" tune Lemans stated this perfectly forgot which thread it was in...

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
yes this is correct, there is no such thing as a "custom" tune Lemans stated this perfectly forgot which thread it was in...

Oh hell, my research has betrayed me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

You don't need to do it, but If you want to bring the best out of your mod get the tune.
It will make your mod worth it.

Example:
you can buy on iPhone and use it as an iPod Touch but until you get a cellphone plan it won't bring out the full potential of the iPhone..In other words get the Chip, and make sure the people you get it from know what they're doing and that they do it custom to your car and its mods.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 02:24 AM   #10
skayfe
Registered
Rep

Yeah my reasoning was that the mix of software(chip) and hardware(x-pipe) perhaps meant that a tune was definitely needed, but can see how it's not a make or break factor if the company has already figured out beforehand the best recipe for these combined mods on the vehicle in question.
They were offering this upgrade as a package, and the x-pipe is their own design so I'm guessing its been tweaked for best combined results.
But thanks for the extra info!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^

depends, if you get the Dinan Midpipe for instance they have special software for it bc of the no cats and so you would want to get that software, but a reg x pipe i would think you can run with no tune and be fine. some guys don't like to mess with there ECU to protect there warranty and i don't blame them. i went with the Dinan Software for this reason. they are the only one i trust with my ECU, no offense to any of the others
Appreciate 0