BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

Bad O2 sensors? Have codes

I overfilled the gas tank awhile ago (from dead empty to full) and the car immediately started running rough. I put 40kms on it that day and the next morning got about 2 min from the house and it stared to run really rough. Then I got an "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" notification. I immediately took it home and drove my truck to work.

The first code was "Lambda probe pump current synchronisation error before cat Bank 1" the rest are cylinder misfire codes.

So I cleaned the O2 sensors a while back and the limp mode cleared up. It's been running ok thru the summer, put a few tanks of good gas thru it. I'm still feeling small stumbles sometimes while driving. I finally got around to pulling codes again, as follows;

272C
Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating after cat Bank 1 Error will cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Timeout

273E
Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating before cat Bank 1 Error will cause a warning light
Timeout

Lambda probe before cat, analysis device in control unit Bank 2 Error will not cause a warning light
Signal or value below threshold

They all say "Error is not currently present" because I printed this out after the engine was off.

Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this and if it is bad O2 sensor(s) or possibly something else I can check.

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

No, it's got a Dinan exhaust kit on it but It's been on for about 35,000 kms. No issues up until now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Bump, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
How did you clean the O2 sensors?
      10-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_tyrant View Post
They all say "Error is not currently present" because I printed this out after the engine was off.

Please let me know if anyone has any experience with this and if it is bad O2 sensor(s) or possibly something else I can check.

Thanks in advance,
Does it say they are present with the engine running?

If you started the engine when the O2 sensors were disconnected (unplugged electrically) for cleaning and never cleared those codes they might just be stored codes.

Have you tried clearing the codes, completing a drive cycle, and then checking to see if the O2 monitor has cleared?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
How did you clean the O2 sensors?
I cleaned the O2 sensors by heating up the tips with a small torch and then submerging them in cold water. The thermal shock cracks off the built up carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
Does it say they are present with the engine running?

If you started the engine when the O2 sensors were disconnected (unplugged electrically) for cleaning and never cleared those codes they might just be stored codes.

Have you tried clearing the codes, completing a drive cycle, and then checking to see if the O2 monitor has cleared?
I never ran or had the car on with the O2 sensors out. I was getting an O2 sensor failure code and limp mode after a bad batch of gas. After I cleaned them, they seemed to be fine. When I pulled the codes the other day, I had cleared the codes first so they occurred during my drive home from work. I will check to see if they are always present when the engine is on.

I'm just concerned because they aren't specifically "your O2 sensors are FUBAR" codes. Amplifier diagnosis after heating?? Analysis device in control unit?? These don't mean much to me. If the O2(s) are shot, I don't mind replacing them but I didn't want to start throwing money at it if they weren't the culprit.

Thanks for the help so far, keep it comin'
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #7
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Try clearing the codes and then verifying that there are no codes before driving.

A two trip drive cycle should clear the O2 monitor or cause the codes to return.
If your drive to work is far enough and includes freeway and slower driving both then you might be able to complete the full "two trip drive cycle".

So after the complete drive cycle check for codes, not just a no CEL condition.
If there are codes copy all of the information for review.

If there are no codes and the O2 monitor is complete, be happy and hope that they do not return.

We're just trying to see if the problem can be duplicated. No sense chasing a random problem that won't return.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Sorry for the late reply, it's been too cold here to drive it the last week and a half. I drove to work today and then cleared the codes. When I started it up, the first two codes popped right away, the 3rd during the trip somewhere. Same as before,

272C
Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating after cat Bank 1 Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Timeout

273E
Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating before cat Bank 1 Error will cause a warning light
Timeout

Lambda probe before cat, analysis device in control unit Bank 2 Error will not cause a warning light
Signal or value below threshold
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

How did you clean the sensors? Electronics cleaner should work. I'd also inspect the harness and wiring for obvious damage.

I'd say that the sensors are indeed on their last legs. They have a finite life, but should be covered by the 8/80k emissions warranty.
      11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
How did you clean the sensors? Electronics cleaner should work. I'd also inspect the harness and wiring for obvious damage.

I'd say that the sensors are indeed on their last legs. They have a finite life, but should be covered by the 8/80k emissions warranty.
I cleaned the O2 sensors by heating up the tips with a small torch and then submerging them in cold water. The thermal shock cracks off the built up carbon. I'll talk to the dealership about the emissions warranty. Is that a US thing, California thing or do they have that in Canada too?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

It's a US thing, so I have no clue if you're covered in Canada.
      11-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
bandit408
Rep
Drives: 2003 ZHP

You can't clean O2 or Air/Fuel sensors. They have a center ceramic section that probably was damaged(cracked) when you tried to clean them. The best is just to replace them as they are one of the most important sensors for your engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
irish_tyrant
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I'm not against replacing them but I want to make sure that they are faulty as doing all 4 is $800+. The codes don't seem to indicate O2 sensor failure but I may be wrong.

"Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating after cat Bank 1,
Lambda probe amplifier diagnosis heating before cat Bank 1,
Lambda probe before cat, analysis device in control unit Bank 2"

That sounds like something connected to the O2 sensors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0