BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Clutch Pedal Spring Removal

I forgot to take pics of this...but my description should be sufficient...it is quite easy.

Ditched the clutch-spring today...about 5 minutes total. You need a little torx bit and something to pull two little e-clips...I used a curved pick.

1. Under the steering wheel, there are three little screws you need to remove, this allows the plate/cover that shields the pedal-innards to be removed. Once they are out, the plate/cover drops down...just watch the wires.

2. Behind the clutch pedal, there is a spring...it looks like a little black coilover...that is what is removed, not the silver spring that pulls it up in front (closer to the driver). You need to use the pick, or something else, to pull the e-clips that are on the left-side of the restraining pins (the top and bottom of the coilover).

3. Push the pedal, by hand, all the way to the floor and push the locating pins (top and bottom) out. This will allow you to pull the top of the coilover out and then the bottom.

4. Put the cover back and install the three screws. That's it.

I've done this to all the cars I've owned over the past few years. What this does is give a consistant feel to the pedal on release. You know how the pedal feels hard at first when you push down, then it gets easier? Now it's just the same feel the whole way down...not really harder...but it doesn't get easier.

The real reason for this... when I release the pedal, you can feel the engagement point much better, instead of the wandering/vague point with the spring. I never feel comfortable with the spring installed, as it feels as if the engagement point is never quite same from one day to the next. Now, the lever release is linear...no change in pressure from one inch to the next.

Depending on how I feel, I may tackle the clutch-stop mod next...

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

I want to do this, is this the one????
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

That's it. E-clips should be on the left side of the locating pins.
Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

More time driving with the spring removed....I"m very happy with the difference.
For now, I'm not going to install a clutch-stop. After driving the wife's X3 and then getting back into the M3...the X3 needs the clutch-stop, seriously, the clutch travel could be measured in feet.

Be good,
TomK

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I'm just wondering
why was this put in place in the first place
      09-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
zkM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MTAW (05/20)

this is interesting..just curious, any downside?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

It actually feels a lot smoother, thanks to ace, you can now shift real smoothly
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
I'm just wondering
why was this put in place in the first place
In order to make your pedal easier to push and hold when down. That's why the pedal doesn't feel consistant.
With the spring out, it's smoother...linear and predictable. The engagement point no longer feels like it moves from one stop to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
It actually feels a lot smoother, thanks to ace, you can now shift real smoothly
Glad to hear you like the change, Chino...

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Evod Racing
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Thanks

Thanks for the information. That is the best thing I have done to the car. I complained from the first time I got the car about the clutch. Much to light and not the same pressure all the way down, very hard to get correct " take up". this was easy and helped a lot.
Evod Racing
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I'll have to try this out. It seems easy enough to revert back to stock if needed. Thanks for the post.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

i will give it a try today too....thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
mike11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW E92

wow, great free mod...getting the e-clips out were kind of a pain, but it was pretty quick, free and reversible...and the difference is noticeable....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

does it make the clutch feels "lighter" or "harder"?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

I went to remove the spring today, but it seems to provide lateral support to the clutch pedal. Have you noticed any problems with sidewards movement of the pedal?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNEDM3 View Post
I went to remove the spring today, but it seems to provide lateral support to the clutch pedal. Have you noticed any problems with sidewards movement of the pedal?
Problems?...none. I see your point and it does stand to reason that the spring could add some form of lateral support, but that would only be needed if other components of your clutch pedal were faulty. From my experience, there is no loss of rigidity or sidways movement of the clutch pedal since the spring was removed. The clutch pedal does not move side-to-side since removal of the spring.

I will say that this is the "best" mod I've done to this car, it has changed the interface of the driver-drivetrain to a point that I would feel tortured if I had to re-install the spring. The cluth release is so consistant and linear that it feels like there is a different(better) clutch installed...it's that much of a difference. There is no longer that changing level of pressure during the clutch's travel and engagement point on release.

And the spring can always be re-installed if you so wish...although I'd bet a carbon-trunk that would never happen...

I sincerely feel for those that haven't done this mod, it shoud be a free option prior to dealer-delivery...

---Clutch Spring Delete?----- YES

Be good,
TomK

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks for the response....I will def give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

did the removal last night, then burnt through a 1/2 tank...

10X better than stock.. makes driving more enjoyable!
--they should offer this as a delete option..
the clutch feel is so much better, clutch resistance is constant, slightly heavier
(how it should be)

its easy to do and even easier to put back on...

+- 30 min
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I just did this now. Took me about 15 minutes total. Hardest part was to see what direction the "e" clips were facing so I knew which way to pull them off. Only took it for a 5 minute drive, but so far the clutch is just a little bit heavier. But has a much more linear feel. There is no more heavy and light part to engaging and disengaging the clutch. I'd imagine for anyone who just drives slow around town this mod won't make much difference, but I can see it definitely a must for the track. If you drive slightly more aggressive on the street (the way the car should be driven) it's so much easier to shift smoothly. I think this fixes the issue people were referring to when they were asking if taking the CDV out was necessary. Now there seems to be no guess when and how much the clutch is engaged. I noticed after my short drive my 1-2 shift was much smoother. A perfect shift every time not just sometimes. I'll post a better review after more time with this mod. Plus I figure if I change my mind, should only take about 15 minutes to put it back.
      10-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

just did this also....

i think this will help alot for quik shifting.. and consistency.... im happy with it.. it has a stiffer feel...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #20
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

what's a good tool to use to reach those e clips?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #21
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I used one of those scrapers that dentists have to scrape your teeth.
      10-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds02400 View Post
what's a good tool to use to reach those e clips?
your finger nails and a small flat-head. basically turn the e-clip into a position where it cannot be rotated anymore, and then use your flat-head to push out.
Appreciate 0