BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Clamp for reattaching stock cats to stock midpipe

I'm considering upgrading from my test pipes to a Dinan x-pipe to be paired with my dinan rear section. So I have 2 questions.

1. Is this even worth doing. I would be buying the X-pipe used, but at the same time, it's still going to cost me at least $1000 over the cost of the test pipes. Are the gains/weight loss worth it? What about sound? Will it get louder, quieter, will the tone change?

2. I was told by my installer (sonicms in norcal) that with a particular clamp, (when they installed the TPs they left space to reattach the stock cats) I can post a picture of the cats if it will help. I know they could have just been lying, since I have only seen one thread that talks about reattaching stock cats, and he also had his installed by sonicms haha. But maybe someone here can help out. Does anyone know what I'll need to get?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

bump!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
1. Worth it? That's subjective. Yes, the tone will change. Maybe it will change for the better in your opinion, perhaps worse. Power gains? Minimal. Weight loss? Not so much there either.
2. Probably best to have the stock cat welded back in. To fit the test pipes properly, a cut has to be made about an inch from the weld on the cat. That doesn't leave much biting room for an exhaust clamp when reattaching the cat.
Appreciate 0