BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

01-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Lexus IF pricing $56k base

Lexus is pleased to announce pricing for the all-new 2008 high-performance IS F sport sedan – the fastest Lexus production car ever built. The exhilarating IS F is the first production model to wear the new “F” marque and expands the award-winning Lexus line up into the high performance arena. The all-new IS F is an authentic performance sedan with a unique interpretation of raw driving thrill at all speeds and provides a new definition of useable power.

To be certain that performance targets were achieved, much of the IS F development took place at racetracks around the world. The IS F was tested at Formula One racetracks such as Nurburgring Nordschleife in Germany and Fuji Speedway in Japan, as well as the legendary Circuit Paul Ricard in the South of France, Circuit Zolder in Belgium and Laguna Seca Raceway. IS F performance credentials include racetrack-developed suspension and braking, and a specially calibrated version of the advanced Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system.

The all-new IS F delivers heart pounding power with a quad-cam aluminum 5.0-liter V8 engine with 416 hp, 371 lb-ft of torque, a maximum track speed of 170 mph and a 0 to 60 speed in an amazing 4.6 seconds! The specially engineered engine features a cylinder-head scavenge oil pump that forces oil from the cylinder heads back to the oil pan, ensuring a reliable oil supply for extended high-G corning, motor-driven variable intake valve timing (VVT-iE), titanium intake valves and a direct-to-cylinder injection system with secondary port injectors.

The performance-tuned V8 engine is mated with the world’s first 8-Speed Sport Direct-Shift gearbox with a quick and direct special lock up clutch and a control system that enables virtually instant manual upshifts (0.1 seconds) and blips the throttle on downshifts. The new transmission blends the performance characteristics of an automated manual-type transmission with the smoothness and refinement of a planetary-type automatic transmission allowing the driver to choose between ultra-quick manual shifts for performance driving, and smooth automatic shifts when convenience is the top priority.

The IS F has amazing new technological features such as a specially calibrated VDIM system featuring a high-performance sport mode that allows higher dynamic thresholds before intervening, a two-stage intake system that provides smooth power at low-to-medium speeds then opens wide at mid range for maximum power and torque, and a Brembo brake system, designed to the specifications of the Lexus engineering team, for quick and consistent stopping power.

New and distinctive high-performance design features create a clearly differentiated appearance for the IS F. Exterior styling has a muscular stance with the front fascia, hood, underbody and rear spoiler all shaped to optimize airflow management and give the IS F a signature look. The wider front fenders set off the large tires and aggressive BBS 19-inch forged aluminum 10-spoke wheels that are both stronger and lighter than equivalent cast wheels. These gun metal finish BBS wheels, found on top-level racers around the world, including Formula One cars, help improve handling and acceleration by reducing unsprung weight and rotational inertia.

The IS F interior reveals the beauty within the beast with blue LED indicator needles used in the tachometer and speedometer which are surrounded by machined aluminum rings. In addition the interior features a unique aluminized composite trim on the console and doors. Highly bolstered leather-trimmed sport seats encourage vigorous driving by keeping the driver firmly planted. The front seats are also heated and fully power adjustable. Technological features include available DVD Navigational System, Bluetooth capability, available rear back up camera on a full color 7-inch LCD screen, available Pre-Collision System and available Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio System with 14 speakers and 300 watts of power @ less than 0.1% THD.

Pre-Launch Marketing Activities
To help build awareness and generate excitement for the all-new 2008 IS F, pre-launch activities have been put into full swing. The following is a brief summary of previous marketing activities:

Hosted two long-lead press events at Laguna Seca Raceway, with a total of 40 journalists in attendance from automotive, news, business, and lifestyle publications
SEMA presence: hosted the first-ever Lexus press conference at SEMA, to celebrate IS F with 300 journalists in attendance and provided over 1,000 IS F test drives on the Motor Trend Proving Grounds on-site
Unveiled IS F at Motorworks during Pebble Beach Concours week in Monterey, CA
Hosted 100+ Lexus owners, ClubLexus members and competitive brand owners at Laguna Seca Raceway where demonstration hot laps in IS F were provided
Enhanced 4 markets for Taste of Lexus with a dynamometer purchased specifically to support the introduction of IS F with consumers “driving” the vehicle in place on the dyno
Extended use of the dynamometer by offering “drives” of IS F at LA Autoshow – consumers sat behind the wheel to experience first hand the awesome feel, sound and power in a ¼ mile run, with over 3500 drives given during the show’s 10-day run (future auto show presence is under negotiation for multiple markets)

In addition to the above activities, upcoming IS F cinema and print advertising are planned around February through April timing.

Enthusiast Publications
Early press articles are extremely positive on IS F performance, handling and design. From Road and Track:

“The IS F is a complete departure from the norm for Lexus. Its styling is much more “in your face,” including the front fender air vents…and the stacked quad exhaust outlets.”

“Lightning-quick transient response and amazing grip earn the IS F the fastest 4-door slalom speed.”

“Lexus got its compact super sedan "right" on the first try.”

From Motor Trend:

“… the Nurburgring-tuned IS F is going to make serious trouble for the likes of the new BMW M3, the Audi RS4, and the Mercedes C63 AMG.”

“The car is, quite simply, a monster: Acceleration is brutal, the brakes are wicked-strong, and handling grip is immense…”

Pricing
Lexus’ high-performance IS F sport sedan will be competitively positioned with a base MSRP of $56,000. With this strong base MSRP, the IS F will be an outstanding value versus the competition. An IS F with navigation will be priced at $59,315 including DPH fee.

IS F Optional Equipment MSRP
DVD Navigation System $2,550
DVD Navigation System w/ Mark Levinson $3,990
Pre-Collision System w/ Dynamic Radar Cruise $2,850
Intuitive Park Assist $500
Headlamp Washer $100

F-Sport Performance Accessory Line
To extend the impact of the overall F performance story, and to bring more performance and personalization opportunities to a wider range of higher volume models, Lexus will introduce F-Sport, an all-new performance accessory line available for the IS 250 and IS 350. The F-Sport performance accessory line will provide enthusiasts the opportunity to modify their IS 250 or IS 350 with components engineered by TRD and fully covered by the Lexus factory warranty. This line-up of dealer-installed products, including full suspension kits, aggressive exhaust, larger diameter brakes, 19” forged alloy wheels, and more, will be available in April 2008.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106637

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Did you write that all by yourself?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Yep, but its official now according to autoblog.com
      01-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

60k ain't bad but it's stil kind of fugly..........

I'd rather pony up the 70k on a gorgeous M3 than shell out 60k on a something I feel ambivilant on.......
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
But the link with the source was not present at the time the initial post was made, that was added by edit. The edit was indeed before this post but if you did not bother to ge back looking for an after the fact edit you may have missed the source in the orginal post.

However you see that wrong section of the forum for sure.

I am very happy about this price. I think it will really force BMW to keep the M3 base less than $60k here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
But the link with the source was not present at the time the initial post was made, that was added by edit. The edit was indeed before this post but if you did not bother to ge back looking for an after the fact edit you may have missed the source in the orginal post.

However you see that wrong section of the forum for sure.

I am very happy about this price. I think it will really force BMW to keep the M3 base less than $60k here in the US.
It's mentioned on the other thread in posts #20, 26 and 29. Not to overlook.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Agreed. Now, the missing piece of info is the AMG pricing. I'd say if that was released as well, BMW would have little reason to hang onto M3 pricing at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Agreed. Now, the missing piece of info is the AMG pricing. I'd say if that was released as well, BMW would have little reason to hang onto M3 pricing at this point.
+1 Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons - gotta love competition

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

The IS350 base price is $36K the Base 335i sedan is ~$40k

Therefore I would disagree that the the 56K base on the IS-F would drive a sub 60K base on the M. However, I am not saying that a sub 60K price is not possible, t just won't be driven on the IS-F. I think the bigger barrier will be the physiological impact to US consumers that a base in the 60s would have. Similar to how in the US thinks are 19.99 rather than 20.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I think the bigger barrier will be the physiological impact to US consumers that a base in the 60s would have. Similar to how in the US thinks are 19.99 rather than 20.
What bugs me is how US gas prices are still $3XX.9, like rounding up a tenth of a cent would make a difference!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I think the bigger barrier will be the physiological impact to US consumers that a base in the 60s would have.
Yeah, I think I will (have a physiological reaction) to $60s base

I agree there will be a psychological impact to the price, $59k appears more reasonable!

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW can't really price the base M3 too much higher than the base ISF. Keep in mind the base ISF will have more standard features than the base M3. However, this also means that since there is no reason for BMW to undercut the ISF, it is unlikely that the base M3 will be priced under $56k (despite the difference in base standard features). So, the $56k-$60k range lights up once again.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons - gotta love competition
It really will be interesting to see how the ISF, M3, C63 and RS4 will compete once they are all on the market! Great for us car nuts!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I am happy with Lexus' pricing. Here's to getting M3 MSRP soon guys?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Hopefully BMW looks at Lexus as a true competitor now in terms of pricing. Japanese cars have earned a good reputation in the luxury market.
Appreciate 0