BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Ridehard335
Enlisted Member
 
Ridehard335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335i X
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Anybody else notice their Speedo wrong

Hey Guy, I recently bought a 09 E90 X-Drive, Manual. I always thought the speedo was wrong and I proved it by checking it with my GPS. The tires and suspension are stock 225/45/17 The speedo is 5 mph high. Has anybody else had this problem??
Ridehard335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
 
BBursey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
If you , I think you'll find this is common. Seemingly by design, it prevents the car from going faster than the speedo indicates given some inherent inaccuracy. If it were dead-on +/- a bit, you might actually be speeding.

Bryan
BBursey is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,953
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
breaking the sound barrier could explain...
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Most BMW's display between 5-7% high. Porsche is known to show 10% or more over. Cheap speed!
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

My old E92 indicated +5%, as does my current F10. As others have said, this is by design to preclude any possibility of under-reading.
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
GuitarDTO
Private
 
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

The speedometer on my 2008 335i is 5mph fast at any speed above 35. It's a little obnoxious but I've gotten used to it. The day I drove the car home with my wife following me she called and asked why I was driving so slow.
GuitarDTO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
 
bbg2d's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

I find that its usually 3 over, sometimes 4. I just mentally adjust for it when driving.
bbg2d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridehard335 View Post
Hey Guy, I recently bought a 09 E90 X-Drive, Manual. I always thought the speedo was wrong and I proved it by checking it with my GPS. The tires and suspension are stock 225/45/17 The speedo is 5 mph high. Has anybody else had this problem??
typical BMW speedo, welcome to the club!
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
typical BMW speedo, welcome to the club!
This is not unique to BMW, it's an industry standard to preclude any possibility of under-reading, which could result in a speeding violation.
At least BMW appear to 'dial-in' a constant value of 5%, whereas other cars I've driven have varied erratically between 5 and 10% over.
For info - EU vehicle manufacturers have to comply with current legislation, which states the following:
"The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h."
So there you go - BMW's are made in Germany and Germany is part of the EU, therefore the speedo will, by design, over-read.

Last edited by Jon D; 01-24-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
This is not unique to BMW, it's an industry standard to preclude any possibility of under-reading, which could result in a speeding violation.
At least BMW appear to 'dial-in' a constant value of 5%, whereas other cars I've driven have varied erratically between 5 and 10% over.
For info - EU vehicle manufacturers have to comply with current legislation, which states the following:
"The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h."
So there you go - BMW's are made in Germany and Germany is part of the EU, therefore the speedo will, by design, over-read.
nice speach buddy; but howcome my 2009 AudiA3 speedo is right on the spot!
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
nice speach buddy; but howcome my 2009 AudiA3 speedo is right on the spot!
If you take the trouble to re-read my "nice speech" or as you mistakenly spell it: speach, buddy , you might note that the legislation states that "The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed". The clue is in the word less; in other words, there's nothing to say it can't read exactly the same as actual.
Hope that clarifies any difficulties for you .
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,763
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
At least BMW appear to 'dial-in' a constant value of 5%, whereas other cars I've driven have varied erratically between 5 and 10% over.
What? I've been going too slow all this time!
grimlock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If you take the trouble to re-read my "nice speech" or as you mistakenly spell it: speach, buddy , you might note that the legislation states that "The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed". The clue is in the word less; in other words, there's nothing to say it can't read exactly the same as actual.
Hope that clarifies any difficulties for you .
you say that German car speedo will be designed "over read" is'nt an Audi a german car? the only reason the speedo on BMW cars is so optimistic is to foul costumer whit warranty by reaching millages sooner than they should whit an honest speedo. Nothing to do whit legislation. Hope that clarifies "true" facts for you!
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
you say that German car speedo will be designed "over read" is'nt an Audi a german car? the only reason the speedo on BMW cars is so optimistic is to foul costumer whit warranty by reaching millages sooner than they should whit an honest speedo. Nothing to do whit legislation. Hope that clarifies "true" facts for you!
You do come off as a bit of rube with talk like this. You might want to look into correlation between speedometers and odometers, as they're actually not the same thing. Weird, I know. But speedometers are required to read high (and I'd bet your A3's actually does) but odometers are required to be much more accurate. In fact one of the quickest ways to calibrate a speedometer is to check it against the odometer, i.e. five minutes at an indicated 60 mph should cover exactly five miles, but in most cars, you'll only record 4.5-4.8 miles on the odometer.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
you say that German car speedo will be designed "over read" is'nt an Audi a german car? the only reason the speedo on BMW cars is so optimistic is to foul costumer whit warranty by reaching millages sooner than they should whit an honest speedo. Nothing to do whit legislation. Hope that clarifies "true" facts for you!
Sorry to disappoint you, yet again, but it would appear that both 'Red Bread' and I have more of a grasp on this issue; as he succinctly puts it, odometers and speedometers are calibrated to different tolerances. I also agree that it is highly unlikely that your Audi reads exactly true.
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You do come off as a bit of rube with talk like this. You might want to look into correlation between speedometers and odometers, as they're actually not the same thing. Weird, I know. But speedometers are required to read high (and I'd bet your A3's actually does) but odometers are required to be much more accurate. In fact one of the quickest ways to calibrate a speedometer is to check it against the odometer, i.e. five minutes at an indicated 60 mph should cover exactly five miles, but in most cars, you'll only record 4.5-4.8 miles on the odometer.
Very well understood and explained
Regarding the word "rube", urban vernacular doesn't always fare well on the transatlantic exchange route, so confessing unfamiliarity, I checked it out and, as per your inference, I couldn't think of a more apposite and well chosen epithet .
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, yet again, but it would appear that both 'Red Bread' and I have more of a grasp on this issue; as he succinctly puts it, odometers and speedometers are calibrated to different tolerances. I also agree that it is highly unlikely that your Audi reads exactly true.
what `red bread' proof is that an idiot never come alone and that you are both in the field, odometers and speedometers work together and are dependant. As for my Audi you dont have to beleive me (i really dont care)
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
odometers and speedometers work together
This may have been true during the Model T era, but hasn't been the case since a weird little invention called the computer. Look it up. Ribbit.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
This may have been true during the Model T era, but hasn't been the case since a weird little invention called the computer. Look it up. Ribbit.
Don't think rubes and computers get along too well
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
llowlife
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09' 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mn

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

So I can extend my warranty by 5% ?
__________________
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him , for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
I am a revolutionary...so my son can be a farmer...so his son can be a poet. If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, so my child may have peace
llowlife is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
DrivenByE30
Colonel
 
DrivenByE30's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

Posts: 2,742
iTrader: (0)

This is not new ... BMW has always been so... makes the driver feel like they are driving way faster than everyone else...

It would seems that my E36 is indicating about 5 mph over what it really is doing.
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
az34
Major
 
az34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montréal

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
This is not new ... BMW has always been so... makes the driver feel like they are driving way faster than everyone else...

It would seems that my E36 is indicating about 5 mph over what it really is doing.
totally agree,i had say it from the debut: typical BMW speedo.
az34 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST