BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Newbie needs your help

Hi,

First of all, i did search around for it but i have been bombed with way too many info, even software updates. Anyway, hope you guys rnt bored with these questions.

I am pretty confused about the x pipes, test pipes and downpipe. Can someone please explain to me the differences between them?

I am thinking of getting the aka evo system. Does it mean that i don't have to worry about xpipe nor the test pipe? However, downpipe is something that connects to evo system right?

However, if my m3 has a downpipe +evo system, the whole exhaust system will be catalyst-free? Am i expect to experience strong waste gas smell?

Can someone also give me a rough idea of how much hp i should be expecting to see if i have a tune, aka evo, underdrive pulley? is 460hp attainable?

Thanks for any help given

B
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Test pipes-remove primary catalytic converts, only about 1'-6" long. Have to cut stock exhaust and clamp/weld up new test pipes.

X-pipe- is an entire replacement of the midsection of the exhaust this will also include the test pipe section. The only thing remaining will be the rear muffler and its connecting pipes.

Down pipe-is for a turbo in ehich it connects the exhaust side of the turbo to the exhaust. Since we do not have a turbo we do not have down pipes.

Arka-evo it's my understanding that this is a test pipes all the way back to the muffler replacement. But this can be answered by someone that is more familiar with this system.

If you are fully catless you will have a smell. Some people love it like myself while others despise it.

As for power you might get to 460 at the crank but usual bolts one will get you close or right at 400whp depending on what dyno you are using.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
barton2002
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 ZCP M3 Frozen Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Test pipes-remove primary catalytic converts, only about 1'-6" long. Have to cut stock exhaust and clamp/weld up new test pipes.

X-pipe- is an entire replacement of the midsection of the exhaust this will also include the test pipe section. The only thing remaining will be the rear muffler and its connecting pipes.

Down pipe-is for a turbo in ehich it connects the exhaust side of the turbo to the exhaust. Since we do not have a turbo we do not have down pipes.

Arka-evo it's my understanding that this is a test pipes all the way back to the muffler replacement. But this can be answered by someone that is more familiar with this system.

If you are fully catless you will have a smell. Some people love it like myself while others despise it.

As for power you might get to 460 at the crank but usual bolts one will get you close or right at 400whp depending on what dyno you are using.
Hey thanks bro! That really helped answering my question!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
The Akra Evo does have cats. Their GT4 pipe which is optional, eliminates the cats. Either way, you will smell the exhaust.
Appreciate 0