BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #45
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I love "wheel" companies that don't make their own wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: eeeeeeee92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Also, we've looked into the matter further with the supplier and apparently there was a small batch of isolated failures associated with an improper heat cycle during the forging process that affected a small run of 22" step lips. The supplier is writing up a statement to share with you all on the issue.
Mike, the owner of triangle Tool who makes your step lip parts made ADV1 aware of this problem, and ADV1 had to waive Triangle of Responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #47
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaym3 View Post
Mike, the owner of triangle Tool who makes your step lip parts made ADV1 aware of this problem, and ADV1 had to waive Triangle of Responsibility.
Wow!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
To me, a good wheel should bend (a lot) long before there is any visable material failure. These wheels suck.
Agreed. The barrels are forged I think. A forged barrel should not crack like that. Hell, one the XXRs on my E30 bent horribly due to a giant pothole but didn't fail. That's a $100 cast wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Agreed. The barrels are forged I think. A forged barrel should not crack like that. Hell, one the XXRs on my E30 bent horribly due to a giant pothole but didn't fail. That's a $100 cast wheel.
Correct. They shouldn't, and wouldn't have if the step lips had been properly produced.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #50
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep

the true facts are coming... let's see what the " Manufacture " says.... I will be here to correct it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
Yea Boi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 08 M3

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #52
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
the true facts are coming... let's see what the " Manufacture " says.... I will be here to correct it.
Nowaym3 - Do you work for Triangle?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #53
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also, we've looked into the matter further with the supplier and apparently there was a small batch of isolated failures associated with an improper heat cycle during the forging process that affected a small run of 22" step lips. The supplier is writing up a statement to share with you all on the issue.
Lets say that the during the T6 treatment, there was a small batch that weren't heated properly. Triangle wouldn't have sold you the batch and the parts would never have made it onto your wheels. But thats not what happened. You were FULLY aware that your centers were machined to the incorrect specs and decided to Jerry Rig the barrels to fit the centers. The fault is not on the barrels, they were properly made, the fault lies with ADV1 soley. You knew there was an issue and decided to ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #54
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
im not trying to bash or anything, but why all of a sudden is all of this surfacing? I mean how many wheels have you guys sold that have this issue? and what are you going to do for them?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #55
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nowaym3 - Do you work for Triangle?

No, but it is evident that the amount of technical specs i know about ADV1 wheels makes you uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #56
BMWJones
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

I'm glad that nobody was injured as a result of these faulty wheels...hopefully this issue will be resolved soon. Best of luck to your friend!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #57
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Don't understand why anyone would buy ADV1's...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #58
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

What's funny is that I finished going through the whole thread about their certification. So let me guess... this wheel was not TUV certified because it isn't in the M3 collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
They are busy buying affliction t-shirts....
Funniest thing I've read on any forum in a while

Quote:
Eugene the reason for the delay was the part was backordered from the supplier. There was nothing we could do (or any other company for that matter) to get the part any sooner. Here is the official update on your order as it's progressed:

2/8: Supplier confirmed 22x2.5 4 weeks b/o and all other parts in stock
3/15: Received (2) 22x2.5 outers from Supplier and sent outers to finish

For the normal crew stating we suck, our product isn't forged, etc... The step lip cracked, and the step lip is from the same supplier that everyone else in the industry uses. So lets stop the quality hating right there because it's not an ADV.1 specific part failure. It could've (and does) happen to every wheel company when you produce any product in volume.

Beyond that this set was originally purchased in 2010. And this is not directed at Eugene or anyone specifically and simply part of being in the wheel industry for any wheel company - we don't know what our end users do, what roads they drive on, or how careful they are. The truth is there are some awful big potholes in the world. We've had customers ruin entire sets of wheels because they got drunk and went off roading in their 7-series... we can't protect against reckless drivers, and these wheels aren't brand new - but have been used for over a year.

Regardless - we've already taken steps to replace this wheel outside of it's warranty period to stand behind the product but a backordered part is a backordered part and that was the cause for the delay in getting a new lip out to him to fix the issue.
I'm sorry but that is not how you handle a problem. It seems like it's just lies and excuses over and over again. If the parts were backordered, why wasn't he informed? Is anything ever ADV.1's fault?

I would hope that you guys can expect the wheels to last a year before seeing any issues. The bottlecap style wheel on my E30 are most likely over 20 years old.

Quote:
we all know that every one is on the jock of adv1, maybe its time to pass the word around " other forums " that his wheels are cracking because the lack of engineering. The problem with the wheels is that the bolt circle on the center and the bolt circle on the barrels doesn't match, the bolts go in at an angle causing the in and outer sections to flex and eventually crack. Adv1 was informed by their parts manufacturer that this was a big problem and would cause BIGGER problems and decided to let it go in hopes that it was an isolated incident. Apparentley not from these pics...
All of a sudden, powdercoating a set of ZCP's in Hyper Black might suffice for me

Last edited by W///; 03-20-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #59
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep

They call me Bond.. James Bond
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #60
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
They are busy buying affliction t-shirts....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #61
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Correct. They shouldn't, and wouldn't have if the step lips had been properly produced.

sorry, but what a fucking clown.. There is no accountablility anymore. You sold these wheels (originally), don't place blame on someone else. You should accept the fact and replace em that's it; no need for a shitty response spreading the blame elsewhere. You guys really should hire someone; then write everything you say down; have that person reveiw it prior to speaking in public, cause you guys sound like a bunch of toolbags..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #62
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This issue (1797W) is one of 3 isolated cases, all of which have been addressed and are either taken care of already or are in the process of being resolved including this one. The issue is not something that has anything to do with engineering / machining but only an internal issue caused by a small batch of 22" standard step lip parts which are manufactured by Triangle in California. Triangle is the only supplier of 22" step lip parts in the US so any wheels using a 21 or 22" step lip inner or outer most likely came from this manufacturer. We work closely with them as a vendor and have done years of trouble free business together thus far. The issue is not a recurring problem in any way, it has been identified and resolved. Out of literally thousands of parts used on our wheels which were provided by Triangle, this set and only 2 others have had the issue - totaling only 12 parts. We've narrowed down the possible orders that may have been affected by this issue to only these 3 sets and each has been taken care of as explained.

We have been in contact with this customer / dealer directly on this and he has been advised of the lead time and delays as they have become apparent. unfortunately right now these parts only come from 1 supplier so we're at their mercy in regards to delivery dates and the accuracy of their eta's at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #63
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
sorry, but what a fucking clown.. There is no accountablility anymore. You sold these wheels (originally), don't place blame on someone else. You should accept the fact and replace em that's it; no need for a shitty response spreading the blame elsewhere. You guys really should hire someone; then write everything you say down; have that person reveiw it prior to speaking in public, cause you guys sound like a bunch of toolbags..
We are replacing them and have take responsibility for the issue by honoring the warranty outside of the warranty period.

The statements made about the specific part failure was because everyone seems to be equating an ADV.1 wheel failure as something that occurred due to an ADV.1 specific procedure or build process when the truth is this potential part supply issue affected ANY manufacture using a 21" or 22" step lip as there is only 1 supplier for such parts in the US.

It's like blaming Dell for using a Segate hard drive that failed in their computers, that hard drive batch could've been used in HP's, Samsungs, etc. and doesn't necessarily equate to a certain manufacture being crap or making a bad product.

Regardless - the issue has been addressed and taken care of with this customer (and was being handled before this thread ever came into being) AND all customers affected by the part issue. We stand behind our product - end of story. When there is an issue you're going to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
When there is an issue you're going to get it fixed.
When it's made public. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #65
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
When it's made public. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
With all due respect by the OP's own admission the issue had already been taken care of and a new wheel was in production for him before he ever started this thread. He was simply unhappy with the lead time for the replacement which comes down to only having one supplier in the US to get the parts from.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
With all due respect by the OP's own admission the issue had already been taken care of before he ever started this thread.
I really hope this means that you haven't sold another single 22" step wheel to anyone else due to this "backorder".
Appreciate 0