BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #221
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
ADV absolutely needs to hire better PR folks or revisit how to approach these issues. Holy crap the progression of this thread was horrific.
      03-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #222
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
in for update from eug
yesterday I got a PM from Tony stating everything is in the works and THEY should be receiving the back order parts anytime now ''maybe even tonight''.

Well I got nothing! no tracking no. , no further update, no details what so ever.

and this is why I was very upset from the beginning.

give me a deadline (which was already delayed)! please stand by it PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #223
nowaym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: eeeeeeee92

would i would like to know is, why did it take ALL THIS for you to get something fixed? You would think a company like ADV1 would have fixed the issue as soon as they knew about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #224
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaym3 View Post
would i would like to know is, why did it take ALL THIS for you to get something fixed? You would think a company like ADV1 would have fixed the issue as soon as they knew about it.
I'm a nice person?!

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #225
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Do you want to talk about how HRE equipped cars were banned from a number of major race tracks and organizations in the mid 2000s due to a rash of failures?

Every wheel company has failures.

EDIT - I should add that although those statements were made by a very well respected instructor and member of Audiworld, I do not believe they were ever adequately substantiated.

Nevertheless, it is not difficult to find instances of HRE wheel failures...or really any manufacturer for that matter.
What does that have to do with HRE having their own facilities and machining their wheels in house?

HRE shod M3's continue to rack up sports car wins and championships.

I will put up HRE racing heritage against ADV non-existent racing heritage any day. Can't race on pretty boat anchors.

2010 Continental Tire Series Champion below, Fall-Line #48 running HRE's all season:

Last edited by M3_WC; 03-22-2012 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #226
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
What do you expect ? Its ADV makes sense why the wheels are cracked or something is wrong with them.
      03-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #227
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
What does that have to do with HRE having their own facilities and machining their wheels in house?

I will put up HRE racing heritage against ADV non-existent racing heritage any day. Can't race on pretty boat anchors.

2010 Continental Tire Series Champion below, Fall-Line #48 running HRE's all season:

I love this picture!
      03-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #228
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
I had to read Jordan's response twice, as I was pleasantly surprised. Though I think ADV's PR sensibility is lacking, in my opinion, this response is finally what people want from the company; honesty, transparency, humility, and professionalism. Jordan et al, if you handle all the situations publicly like this, then perhaps there's hope for your company's image.

Matt, take note of how your boss laid it out. And stop saying things like "Period. End of story". When has that ever worked for you? This thread is 11 pages long. Ha
MatthewDavid - I am certainly going to try and take note of this moving forward. I apologize if I was argumentative.

Eguene - If you have problems or want updates you should by now have Jordan's direct line. If you don't PM me and i'll get it to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #229
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
MatthewDavid - I am certainly going to try and take note of this moving forward. I apologize if I was argumentative.

Eguene - If you have problems or want updates you should by now have Jordan's direct line. If you don't PM me and i'll get it to you.
How come my series of questions has been over looked? Please explain?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #230
db71
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 Audi S5

What I was getting at about the HRE thing is they still source many components from other sources. They do not control the whole process of wheel manufacturing. I'm sure they have failures also as they get components from the same people as ADV1

Now do they get there forgings at the same place???

The race wheels shown on the M3 are totally different wheels than the ones being discussed here.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #231
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

HRE wheels are awesome; I'm a fan.

My point, as I stated, is that every manufacturer has failures. Of course there are advantages to having machines in-house, but that doesn't make someone who outsources the construction to a state of the art facility automatically the producer of inferior wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #232
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I'm a customer service snob and I really like this response.

-Our fault
-We could have handled it better
-Here is everything we know about the failure
-We will do anything to make it right at a financial loss to our company

Hopefully the ADV1 hate squad will not drop a transmission on my door step now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDavid View Post
I had to read Jordan's response twice, as I was pleasantly surprised. Though I think ADV's PR sensibility is lacking, in my opinion, this response is finally what people want from the company; honesty, transparency, humility, and professionalism. Jordan et al, if you handle all the situations publicly like this, then perhaps there's hope for your company's image.

Matt, take note of how your boss laid it out. And stop saying things like "Period. End of story". When has that ever worked for you? This thread is 11 pages long. Ha
+1 completely agree, imo that was the 1st EVER respectful response they've made.
why didn't Jordan jus step in from the get-go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Bottom line
If you don't like/trust the ADV designer
And you think their quality sucks
Just buy something else
Are you forced to buy their products?
Take your hard earned money elsewhere

It's very obvious that a few people on this thread have a bone to pick with ADV and have shown zero objectivity

They have already offered to give him a full refund AFTER his warranty expired AND he gets to keep the wheels
What more do you want??

My feeling is those very same people don't want the issue resolved and just want to feel like tough guys behind their keyboards
well said!
my main issue w/ them is on the whole tuv cert debacle, they still have nothin 2 show 4 it... imo they lied, plain n simple.
b4 that, i used 2 back them up all the time from the haters n nay sayers. now i'm 1 of 'em until they can prove me wrong.
n i had a gut feelin that if/when they hav a wheel failure, this outcry was bound 2 happen.

@ ADV.1 Matt: r ur wheels even sae-j2530?? if so, do u hav proof?

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #233
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
@ ADV.1 Matt: r ur wheels even sae-j2530?? if so, do u hav proof?
+1 for an answer to a good question.

My brother is hesitant to mount brand new 20" ADV.10TS on his 2012 C63 Coupe PP now and I can't really blame him.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #234
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas997 View Post
Its not an ADV.1 fatigue issue, it has to do with an inner barrel part used for that particular set. the part is derived from the same manufacturer HRE uses for their wheels. I think ADV.1 has handled the situation perfectly.... i just dont know why people are trying to bash them for this?
We’ve been alerted that HRE is being dragged into this thread. While we don’t want to be anywhere near this, unfortunately our name is getting tossed around so we are forced to clarify some of the statements being made.
  1. HRE Banned from Racing?: Regarding the ban from racing in the 2000’s, this is FALSE. Unfortunately this was a rumor created by the boyfriend of an Audi customer that was unhappy with us. We took this very seriously and contacted all of the racing sanctioning bodies and the Viper Racing League (which is the event the supposed failures occurred) and it was all shown to be false. Unfortunately HRE at that time had a “hands off” policy on the forums and this rumor spread like wildfire; leaving us even today having to defend ourselves. We were also way too soft with our use of legal protection. Today we would not let a rumor like this spread without serious repercussions to the perpetrator, particularly when the intention was clearly to simply hurt our reputation with false information.
  2. Rim Suppliers: HRE purchases our rims from 2 suppliers in the U.S. We have had rim failures on the inner flange (not the same location as this failure) primarily on older rims manufactured and sold years ago. This can be caused by work-hardening during manufacture but also due to other factors, including some user issues like running with low tire pressure. While this issue is rare today, we worked with our suppliers to have them roll the inner rim flange on all their parts to ensure this never happens. These rims are being incorporated into our stock now as they make the transition. The rest of the industry will get this improvement as well of course. We keep inventory on rim parts needed for our wheels at our 60,000 sq ft facility.
  3. HRE wheel failures?: HRE has experienced wheel failures, particularly on older models from years ago. HRE has been in business for a long time and the strength and quality of our wheels is substantially different today then say in the ‘90s. Even today we challenge ourselves with our racing efforts and while we have and will continue to win championships, we recognize the possibility of having a potential failure in the future given the nature of pushing the limit in professional motorsport. In fact, a well designed motorsport wheel will eventually have its fatigue life run out of it and fail if it is not retired after its useful life. However, we do NOT expect to have wheel failures on the street. We have a LIFETIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY for a reason. Our wheels are meant to be lightweight but they should still last the life of your vehicle so if it has our name on it we will take responsibility for it.
  4. Quality: Please do not equate the use of similar suppliers with similar quality. HRE does our design/engineering/CNC machining/finish/assembly here in Vista (San Diego, CA) at our OWN facility with our OWN quality management process that is TUV certified. We’re not just talking about wheels being certified. Our QUALITY MANGEMENT SYSTEM is TUV certified.
  5. Engineering: Our president has a B.S. from Harvey Mudd College in Engineering and an M.S from UCLA in Mechanical Engineering and came to us in 1999 after 8 years of working at Northrop Grumman’s B-2 Division doing structural analysis on aircraft. The fact that HRE has a mechanical engineer in such a lead position should make it clear we’re not just a “draw and cut” company and how proper engineering is viewed here. As for FEA we know it is way too easy to get a very “accurate INCORRECT answer”. If you have no idea what you’re doing, you’re going to end up with false confidence leading to problems. Junk in. Junk out.
  6. Does this failure affect HRE?: HRE has never experienced and does not expect to experience a failure of the nature exhibited here. After concerns were raised we had discussions with our suppliers and our own engineering team here and feel that this is not an issue that will affect HRE or requires any changes to our quality management system, wheel designs, or suppliers. It is easy to look at a cracked rim and immediately assume the failure is due to the rim, but the center design and quality of manufacture along with the assembly design and quality of the process are key to ensuring parts do not exceed their design limits.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me directly at lonm@hrewheels.com or call our main office at 760-598-1960.

Feel free to verify our TUV certification here, http://www.tuev.at/start/browse/Webs...rter%20Partner

Last edited by HRE_Mickey; 03-23-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #235
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

^ Winning.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #236
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

wow...they shut it down! Now if only HRE made kitchen appliances.
      03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #237
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

HRE -> Win
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #238
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
HRE -> Win
+1

They are simply on a different level.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #239
Puya King
Registered
Rep

HRE Wheels and COR Wheels are the only real custom wheels manufacture in existence....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #240
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puya King View Post
HRE Wheels and COR Wheels are the only real custom wheels manufacture in existence....
Geez...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #241
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puya King View Post
HRE Wheels and ........... are the only real custom wheels manufacture in existence....
There are others my friend.

Forgeline as well. They design, machine, assemble in their own facilities

Their wheels are run in ALMS, World Challenge, Grand-Am, and SCCA.

Last edited by M3_WC; 03-22-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #242
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

should made a list of wheel brand REALLY worth the top dollars that they R&D and race test it.
Appreciate 0