BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

12-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #507
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

wow! First snow drive... not fun!

I drove my e90 m3 zcp today in snow with summer tires... never again!!! I had about 4-5 near crash experiences and got stuck several more times. Dangerous is an understatement. Keep in mind I took delivery of my car a week ago. I also bought a used 270M wheels with Michelin pilot alpine pA4s from another member here. Woke up today with 1-3 inches of snow so I decided to drive it to tire shop nearby to put the winter wheels on. That was not to bad, but when I arrived they told me I need the wheel lock keys, which of course I had not checked for and was not delivered with the car. So I had to drive 5 miles, including highway drive, to the Bmw dealer to get the key (they have the master key and can sell you a key). The highway was ok... the on and off ramp were crazy: I slid all over... got stuck a few times... had people push me a couple times... it was just bad! Thank God for the DCT transmission on D1 drivelogic; it starts the car on 2nd sear and keeps the rpm below 2000 the whole time even as you climb on the gears. Great piece of engineering... I'm certain it would've been worst with a 6 speed (I drove a Boxster s before through winter with winter tires and know what it takes but DCT was much easier).... Pressing the M button (Turning off the DSC) also was helpful. In the end, my car now seats outside in with winter tires and it will sure be easier to drive now, but I've been on craigslist all afternoon looking for 2-3k F150 for the winter... I just wanna be able to take the M3 out periodically in the winter... daily would be too worrisome... even when I was going ok today, I was afraid of others hitting me!... btw sorry not sure why the pics are uploading sideways
Attached Images

Last edited by cvstar9M3; 12-17-2016 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #508
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Know the feeling Star. Obviously used to snow driving but simply refuse to take out the M3 on Summer tyres, dangerous. Also have the Alpines (PA3 I believe) on 270M, totally different story and good fun, even if they aren't judged as "real" Winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #509
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
I drove my e90 m3 zcp today in snow with summer tires... never again!!! I had about 4-5 near crash experiences and got stuck several more times. Dangerous is an understatement. Keep in mind I took delivery of my car a week ago. I also bought a used 270M wheels with Michelin pilot alpine pA4s from another member here. Woke up today with 1-3 inches of snow so I decided to drive it to tire shop nearby to put the winter wheels on. That was not to bad, but when I arrived they told me I need the wheel lock keys, which of course I had not checked for and was not delivered with the car. So I had to drive 5 miles, including highway drive, to the Bmw dealer to get the key (they have the master key and can sell you a key). The highway was ok... the on and off ramp were crazy: I slid all over... got stuck a few times... had people push me a couple times... it was just bad! Thank God for the DCT transmission on D1 drivelogic; it starts the car on 2nd sear and keeps the rpm below 2000 the whole time even as you climb on the gears. Great piece of engineering... I'm certain it would've been worst with a 6 speed (I drove a Boxster s before through winter with winter tires and know what it takes but DCT was much easier).... Pressing the M button (Turning off the DSC) also was helpful. In the end, my car now seats outside in with winter tires and it will sure be easier to drive now, but I've been on craigslist all afternoon looking for 2-3k F150 for the winter... I just wanna be able to take the M3 out periodically in the winter... daily would be too worrisome... even when I was going ok today, I was afraid of others hitting me!... btw sorry not sure why the pics are uploading sideways
You know, they have these things called taxis.....

BTW pretty sure your insurance will void your coverage if you are in an accident on summer tires in the snow.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #510
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

bumping this thread too, does anyone have any really nice, clean M3 + snow pics, for desktop background?
      02-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #511
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
bumping this thread too, does anyone have any really nice, clean M3 + snow pics, for desktop background?

02-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #512
Rochen_00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 e92

Alpinemss Tuned | Tecnocraft E9X ///M3 Envy™ Intake System | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | Ohlins Road&track| BBK Brembo 6p Front & Brembo 4p Rear| H&R Stabilisator| Solid subframe bushings| full spherical bushings| Recaro pole position
Appreciate 3