BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
FunnyK
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

BMW Individual US

Hey, i went to a BMW dealership in LA an was talking about buying a new M3 Sedan. After some time, they told me that they dont have any here, and if i want it we will need to order it from the factory in europe, and it will take 20-30 days for the car to get here. That's cool, and the fact that i can choose pretty much all the specifics of the car is really nice too. What is kinda confusing to me is following:

I asked them about the BMW Individual paint/ trim options, the ones that usa bmw website has only for 6/7 series. I mean, they gonna make it in europe from scratch, why not throw in Individual.

What the dealer told me after going away and talking to someone about it that the m3 does not have any individual paint/trim, and they can do it only for the 7 series, not the 6.

Is this true, or should i go and to to another dealer about it? I mean it does not make much sense since they have individual options for this car on international website.

Oh, and by the way, do you know if m3 sedan has lights from the door handles outside at night when you unlock it? My buddy has 08 328 coupe and it looks really neat. Same question about ambient lights (on the side of the door) interior-wise.

Last edited by FunnyK; 05-14-2010 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Update.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Some dealers know how to get an Individual color, but it's going to cost around $5,000.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
FunnyK
Rep

Would they be willing to tell me if they do if i just start calling them and asking if they would be willing to do that for me?

BTW, would dealers be more willing to run around and help with stuff like that if i would pay for the car ( i mean write check, not like lease/finance) ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
edlin303
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyK View Post
Oh, and by the way, do you know if m3 sedan has lights from the door handles outside at night when you unlock it? My buddy has 08 328 coupe and it looks really neat. Same question about ambient lights (on the side of the door) interior-wise.
Outdoor, yes. Inside I am not as sure, but there are lights that illuminate the center console (not the normal dome lights, but faint reddish leds).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
edlin303
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Would they be willing to tell me if they do if i just start calling them and asking if they would be willing to do that for me?

BTW, would dealers be more willing to run around and help with stuff like that if i would pay for the car ( i mean write check, not like lease/finance) ?
If anything, I suspect dealers prefer financing. They get kickbacks on it. In fact, I got serious runaround trying to bring in my own cashier's check plus a bank check. They insisted on running my credit anyway, until I got a bank that would wire it directly, and they came with me to get my check in person from the bank.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Some dealers know how to get an Individual color, but it's going to cost around $5,000.
+1 Any paint that BMW has done or is currently offering on any car is available as a custom/individual color.

Quote:

I have purchased my previous 3 new M3's from BMW of Austin, even though I live in Phoenix, AZ. They will do everything in their power to meet your every request, including my last E90 M3 in Individual Brilliant White. The dealers will ask for a deposit on any individual options usually, whether financing or leasing. PM me for more specific details.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
FunnyK
Rep

how do i messege you? i'm new here, cant find how to do that)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
Mr C
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 Dakar and E90 AW

Any dealer can order an M3 Individual, I know, mine is almost here.

The problem is it can be a lot of work for the dealer, and most would prefer not to bother. My dealer had to call Germany several times to get it approved.

Here is how it works:

The sales manager has to contact the local rep, the local rep has to contact BMW AG. It is on a case by case basis. BMW AG prefers to build an M3 Individual at the beginning of the model year. I was told that they will usually approve something like only six (6) cars total for any one model year. I ordered my 2011 M3 Individual back in February. It took BMW AG a month just to approve the order. Some colors are nearly impossible to get, like Monte Carlo Blue.

I will be posting pictures in a couple of weeks of my 2011 M3 Individual.

All I can say is don’t give up when the dealer tells you “I can’t get that.” Keep pushing or go somewhere else.
      05-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #9
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Why the dealers don't want to do the individual program is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is if someone pics some horrid combination and then skips out on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
how do i messege you? i'm new here, cant find how to do that)
Click on my username and then send Private Message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
Why the dealers don't want to do the individual program is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is if someone pics some horrid combination and then skips out on it.
That is exactly what has happened many many times and then the dealer is stuck with a car they cannot sell. This is why individual programs are not offered more or at all in the U.S.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #11
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Yea, but honestly, it would have to be some horribly disgusting combo to not be able to offload it at a fair price. I have seen this happen though, with Dakar yellow and a horrible interior color.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #12
FunnyK
Rep

I just wanted Brilliant White w/ Black Piano finish and black ext leather. I dont think it's that bad of a thing
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
FunnyK, if you need a dealer to order an M3 Individual for you, PM me.

I just ordered a SG E92 and was very close to pulling the trigger on Frozen Black. However, I didn't do it because I love the shine of the metallic SG more and I didn't think it was worth $4,500 for the Individual paint especially when you don't love it.

E82Pilot makes some accurate points. Basically, in my case, the dealership called BMW North America to get an M3 Individual approved. To my surprise, they approved as they usually don't produce that many Individual M3s per year and are all approved on a case-by-case basis.

If you want it, you can get it.

RE: Your comment on "it takes 20-30 days" that's COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY false and impossible. It takes 10 days or so for the car to be built the moment the order is placed (takes 2-3 days for the car to actually be built) and then 4-6 weeks to ship over the Southern California based on when you order it.

At the moment, they won't be building M3's until June/July so the next build slots, if the dealer has them, will be June/July builds and I'd say late-August/September delivery to the West Coast.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
What about a totally individual composition M3? Like custom color paint, custom interior, alacantra etc...... I saw that guy with the M6 but is it possible for the M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Since you're in Los Angeles, go to Long Beach BMW. They have ordered multiple individual color M3's for people. Pictures of these cars have been shown on the forums. I was driving on 405N two months ago and saw Laguna Seca Blue E92 M3 that came from LB BMW. See this thread below:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...guna+seca+blue
That's where I got mine from, but I did not order it with Individual paint...it was on the showroom floor. The guy that ordered it has moved to another dealership (I think in Buena Park?) with the internet sales team. BTW, that individual M6 cost about $30K extra...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
H2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Since you're in Los Angeles, go to Long Beach BMW. They have ordered multiple individual color M3's for people. Pictures of these cars have been shown on the forums. I was driving on 405N two months ago and saw Laguna Seca Blue E92 M3 that came from LB BMW. See this thread below:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...guna+seca+blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunae92 View Post
That's where I got mine from, but I did not order it with Individual paint...it was on the showroom floor. The guy that ordered it has moved to another dealership (I think in Buena Park?) with the internet sales team. BTW, that individual M6 cost about $30K extra...
The CA who ordered those cars (Will Shaw) moved with his sales team to Nick Alexander Imports, which is located in Los Angelas.
      05-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

shoot me a pm if you haven't bought anything yet.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Miller:Jimmym@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-509-2048
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy M PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
ssemerod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

listen to golfrr i got thehook up and I thank you for that...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If yours is Laguna Seca Blue -- then you're the guy I saw in I405 North a few months ago. I was in my daughter's Prius -- it was during the time we were preparing my car for the Mojave Mile. Too bad I wasn't driving my car at the time.

BTW, LSB looked much better in person on E92 than I thought it would. I think it looked better on the E92 than it did the E46. I thought it looked very nice -- even though I've never been a fan of LSB.
Yeah, I would have recognized your ride I saw two e46s the other day, and I agree with you. When it is clean, it really looks good. I think darker taillights will also be nice, but the contrast with the CF roof and mirrors is awesome. Funny thing, i wasn't a fan of LSB either, it was always that HUH? kind of color.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I spotted your car, I was on a business phone call at the time. I interrupted the business conversation to tell everybody that I just saw this custom color BMW on the freeway. A few of the guys on the call are car buffs -- so they appreciated what I was describing!

I was right next to you for about two-three miles.
Haha, that must be the longest I've driven next to a Prius for in a while. I was sandwiched by two of them in my 335i...single drivers in the carpool lane, so I tend to avoid those situations
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just wanted Brilliant White w/ Black Piano finish and black ext leather. I dont think it's that bad of a thing
To answer this question specifically, I was told that BMW AG only paints one non-7series car per day Brilliant White. It is a seven layer paint process and depending on the queue for this color it may take a while in addition to your regular order time.

I inquired about the piano black interior trim, but it was too late as my car was already in a build status that could not be changed.

I would go for it and don't settle unless a dealer can get you what you want. Your request is not that crazy and as a matter of fact my E90 Brilliant White M3 sat at the dealer in Austin for three weeks before I took delivery and several people asked to buy it because the color was so different.

Best of luck and let us know what ends up happening!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #22
FunnyK
Rep

Can you get touch-up paint for individual colours? Also what happens if u get in the accident? Is there a way for BMW to paint the same?
Appreciate 0