BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Von Zooming VIR!

Following Arter's VIR thread, I have my videos from running with the First Settlers PCA at VIR...and been self-absorbed and demanding to be the center of attention, I started my own thread!

This was my second trip to VIR, and I couldn't wait to get back there after last year's inaugural trip (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=overdriving). The First Settlers PCA run a good event and make everyone feel welcome with the atmosphere and Saturday night grill.

I was running with the Blue Group and was assigned our very own "Von Zoom" as an instructor. "Doc" was outstanding. I have had several excellent instructors to date, but none has shown as much commitment to me as a student as Doc did over the weekend. From the get go, he checked my set-up, my driving position, my mirrors...and told me to stop f**king about with heel-toeing until I was much smoother on the brakes! Doc took me out several times on Friday and Saturday and even jumped in on a parade lap to discuss the track and which parts you need to be very careful of that you wouldn't necessarily notice when traveling at speed. At the end of the weekend, I was significantly smoother, faster and more confident - by 10-12 seconds/lap judging by YouTube video. I was also tormenting a light blue GT3RS for most od Saturday and Sunday! There is still work to do, but I drove away from VIR on Monday a much better track driver than when I clattered and squealed through the gate on Thursday night (I have PFC-01 pads!) I am happy to pimp Doc out to anyone going to VIR for future trips!

Thanks, Von Zoom! You did a great job!

I am running on 275/35/18 Nitto NT-05's, RPi scoops, aFe intake and filter, PFC-01 pads and Eibach springs. I would also recommend upgrading to Castrol SRF fluid if you are using Ate Gold/Blue. The pedal feel so much better and never a hint of fade throughout the weekend.

Anyway, here's the films from the weekend. The HLT films of my best laps are in Arter's thread. The cabin video is with a Contour HD, the bumper cam is my old GoPro mounted with a drilled out case. Unfortunately, the mic saturates at high revs. I will use the closed case in future.

Session 2 on Saturday with Von Zoom riding along:

Session 2 on Sunday running solo (with some post production!). I expect feedback on the music!

Session 3 on Sunday running solo (bumper cam):

05-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Nice! VIR beckons
Pee Ess
Know most people will hate the music but I think it adds a bit o drama to the sequence
      05-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

There is a bunch of us that will be down at VIR in late August with Trackdaze, lots of track time and I am sure Doc will be there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

blush, blush. Thanks for the comments, and great videos. You made tremendous strides in your driving over the week end. It was enjoyable riding with you. And, yep, DCT would be a nice addition.
Regards
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
There is a bunch of us that will be down at VIR in late August with Trackdaze, lots of track time and I am sure Doc will be there.
After hearing about Trackdaze, I think I will go with them for the greater amount of track time. It is a long ride from CT, but two more intense days woould be worth it.
      05-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cool story (not sarcastic). If there's a substantial M3Post group going to trackdaze maybe I should come run with you guys. I'm doing Rezoom June 1 VIR but have no track plans the rest of the summer. It would be cool to get a pic of 4-5 E92 M3's diving into T1
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Pretty cool that you got von zoom as your instructor--pure happenstance, or did you request him?

In the first video, your exhaust sounds fantastic. Is it stock? It sounds like Supersprint.

You asked for comments on the soundtrack in the second video--you do NOT want to know what it reminds me of...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Doc is a great instructor!

I will be there with Trackdaze at the end of the Aug. The more M3's the better. That way we can gang up and box Dave's GTR in. No point-by's for you!

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
blush, blush. Thanks for the comments, and great videos. You made tremendous strides in your driving over the week end. It was enjoyable riding with you. And, yep, DCT would be a nice addition.
Regards
vz
I also had Doc as my first instructor and he is fantastic. I am also glad to see that Doc has a new pair of driving gloves!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Doc is a great instructor!

I will be there with Trackdaze at the end of the Aug. The more M3's the better. That way we can gang up and box Dave's GTR in. No point-by's for you!
I will just have to dive-bomb your asses!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Pretty cool that you got von zoom as your instructor--pure happenstance, or did you request him?

In the first video, your exhaust sounds fantastic. Is it stock? It sounds like Supersprint.

You asked for comments on the soundtrack in the second video--you do NOT want to know what it reminds me of...
It's a stock engine/exhaust with the aFe CAI (the one that goes in the OEM air box)and filter. Not sure what it does for power, but it sure does give the engine a sweet sound. The camera is mounted just outside the duct for the lower fascia intake which probably helps the sound resonate.
      05-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Cool story (not sarcastic). If there's a substantial M3Post group going to trackdaze maybe I should come run with you guys. I'm doing Rezoom June 1 VIR but have no track plans the rest of the summer. It would be cool to get a pic of 4-5 E92 M3's diving into T1
We get a fair representation from the M3Post group at most VIR Events, particularly those which have a BMW following. Rezoom is a great group, and I am sorry I cannot make it up, but family matters prevent my participation. I will be at TrackDaze June 9-10, plus Tarheel Junje 29-01.

Hope to see and meet you at VIR soon.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
We get a fair representation from the M3Post group at most VIR Events, particularly those which have a BMW following. Rezoom is a great group, and I am sorry I cannot make it up, but family matters prevent my participation. I will be at TrackDaze June 9-10, plus Tarheel Junje 29-01.

Hope to see and meet you at VIR soon.
vz

I thought you were going to be instructing for the SVT Cobra club tomorrow and this weekend? I signed up on your advice and now you're leaving me to fend for myself with those Mustangs (sarcasm)? I think I'm the only E9x M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I also had Doc as my first instructor and he is fantastic. I am also glad to see that Doc has a new pair of driving gloves!!!
I bought them
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
I bought them
Yep
Thanks Wild Thing. Cannot wait to see your rice cooker.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I thought you were going to be instructing for the SVT Cobra club tomorrow and this weekend? I signed up on your advice and now you're leaving me to fend for myself with those Mustangs (sarcasm)? I think I'm the only E9x M3.
Victor - I am very sorry that I am not there with you all. Believe me, I tried to get my schedule free so I could. This is a very good group of drivers. One good thing, if you are the only E9xM3, you will not have any competetion. Be careful, don't run over any ponies.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep
Thanks Wild Thing. Cannot wait to see your rice cooker.
vz
Funny, not very PC Doc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Big D - Oh he knows, and I could have said, sushi swisher.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #19
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Why aren't you guys looking to go to VIR in late August plan to go to the BMWCCA Tarheel event? I'll bet you that's where Doc got his outstanding training OP enjoyed.

I'm making the haul up from Florida for the event. I so miss the Tarheel gang. Can't find a better group to run with, anywhere.
      05-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Well all, agree you have to go a long way to top the Tarheel BMW Chapter. I will most definately be there. And, yep, my very first instructors were with the Tarheel HPDE guys. Every now and then, I have one or two of them ride with me, and then I ride with them, and we instruct back and forth. Keeps the pencil sharpe. We hang together to this day.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Great sound from your car, it sounds mean. I would get out of the way if I heard that coming up behind me.......
I can barely hear my car in my recordings.

You sure are dogging that blue Porsche..... looks like he is not comfortable in the curves as he is fast in the straights......

Humm, I resemble that

Like the music...

Glad it didn't rain on sunday.........
if you had cool drivers gloves you would pick up 3-4 seconds a lap
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Great sound from your car, it sounds mean. I would get out of the way if I heard that coming up behind me.......
I can barely hear my car in my recordings.

You sure are dogging that blue Porsche..... looks like he is not comfortable in the curves as he is fast in the straights......

Humm, I resemble that

Like the music...

Glad it didn't rain on sunday.........
if you had cool drivers gloves you would pick up 3-4 seconds a lap
The mic is on the front bumper, so I am cheating. I do plan to play a tape of the soundtrack in my cabin from now on and pretend that I driving the new M5 with driver enhancement, or whatever the fake engine noise is called.

I do have cool driving gloves, but Doc said that I wasn't ready for them.