BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silverstone E92 M3

2008 E92 Suggested Performance Upgrades

I've had my 2008 E92 for just over a month. All I can say is I've been bitten by the bug. The M3 Bug. Now, I'd like to explore this car more. I have registered for a performance driving course to learn more about it. What I'd really like to get feedback on is what upgrades whether they be engine, suspension or other would give me the "Best Bang" for the buck. I've installed the Dinan Air Intake and am very open to other suggested improvemtns that can be made.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwest View Post
I've had my 2008 E92 for just over a month. All I can say is I've been bitten by the bug. The M3 Bug. Now, I'd like to explore this car more. I have registered for a performance driving course to learn more about it. What I'd really like to get feedback on is what upgrades whether they be engine, suspension or other would give me the "Best Bang" for the buck. I've installed the Dinan Air Intake and am very open to other suggested improvemtns that can be made.
I would try searching around a little bit, everyone has a different opinion as to far as whats best. You might want to draw some of your own conclusions...
      08-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #3
EagleEye CA
Supreme Chancellor
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

What driving course did you sign up for? I am in Kelowna and there is nothing spectacular near me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The dinan intake isn't bang for your buck IMO. A full exhaust system w/ tune provides very nice gains. As for suspension, springs won't add any perfor
ance and may take away. Either go coilovers or wait in hopes for a true EDC compatible coilover system

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Courtenay?? Try Saratoga Speedway for a quick short auto-x fix!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats on the new car. I would also suggest doing some research.

As far as an intake goes I would suggest a simple drop in filter. Not sure how far you are from MR Schnell325 but he has some pretty nice mods on his E9X that you may want to check out

IMO the best first mod depending on budget,etc is a rear exhaust. Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you have.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Autowerke View Post
As far as an intake goes I would suggest a simple drop in filter. Not sure how far you are from MR Schnell325 but he has some pretty nice mods on his E9X that you may want to check out
Unfortunately, we're a ferry ride away and another 500 miles.

But I do love my mods
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
I've had my 2008 E for just over a month. All I can say is I've been bitten by the bug. The M Bug. Now, I'd like to explore this car more. I have registered for a performance driving course to learn more about it. What I'd really like to get feedback on is what upgrades whether they be engine, suspension or other would give me the "Best Bang" for the buck. I've installed the Dinan Air Intake and am very open to other suggested improvements that can be made.
Kudos.

That was a very smart move.

In fact, you have already found the best 'bang for your buck' mod you can get. A performance driving school class, will teach you valuable skills that will pay huge dividends in the future. Every time you get into your car, you will be better prepared to drive a high-performance car. That is not always the case with some drivers.

My suggested mods for you right now:

#1 Nothing
#2 See mod suggestion #1
#3 See mod suggestion #2

I would spend the next several months, doing research on all the mods you are thinking about buying. That is the only way you are going to find the one you like the most. If not, you will likely spend a lot of money, only to find there is no magic formula that works for everyone.

Personal tastes are very different, and the likely hood of disappointment is very high, if you move too fast with regards to the mods you select. Take your time.

Rushing in, and buying something 'just because' it's not stock, is not the best game plan IMO.

The car is great in it's stock form, so there should be no rush on your part to transform it into something else. (not yet anyways)

At least that's what I think.

That opinion is likely in the minority around here though.
      08-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I agree with LeMans. So few people take the car to the track. That's where you realize you don't need more power, but need more track days!!

Try your local BMWCCA Chapter. They have GREAT instructors and it's very reasonably priced. As one friend put it, "this is too fun not to do."
The car is just awesome at the track. It truely feels in it's element there... until the idler pully fails and shreds the belt just as you enter "NASCAR 1" going 140mph and the steering suddenly gets really heavy and the car starts climbing up the banking. The butt cheeks start to clentch and the knuckles turn really white at that point. Good times!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
^ I agree. Also doing one mod at a time lets you fully enjoy (and get your moneys worth in excitement) from each mod. Plus you get to see/feel/hear the difference each time you put on a new mod which is always fun

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

^^ Listen to this man.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

2008 E92 Suggested Performance Upgrades

Just picked up my E92 last month from Calgary Alberta. The more I drive it the more I smile. Planning on taking a performance driving course next month. I'm also considering some component upgrades but, have very little knowledge about it for the M3. Some people have mentioned Dinan. I'm considering

Engine Software upgrade, Dinan 4.10 diff, Dinan Mid exhaust, rear exhaust and perhaps their stage one suspension upgrade.

ANy suggestions, thoughts or alternatives would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep

Save your money. Dinan is not worth it. If you want real gains you'll have to go with some of the more aggressive tuners like Gintani or AA.
      08-22-2009, 12:33 AM   #14
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye CA View Post
What driving course did you sign up for? I am in Kelowna and there is nothing spectacular near me.
Sorry for the delay in replying. Quite new to this. The course has been set up by BMW Calgary (from where I purchased the car). It offeres all the same stuff as that offered by BMW Canada except I get to spend about 8 hours worth of time on the track. Yes!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Kudos.

That was a very smart move.

In fact, you have already found the best 'bang for your buck' mod you can get. A performance driving school class, will teach you valuable skills that will pay huge dividends in the future. Every time you get into your car, you will be better prepared to drive a high-performance car. That is not always the case with some drivers.

My suggested mods for you right now:

#1 Nothing
#2 See mod suggestion #1
#3 See mod suggestion #2

I would spend the next several months, doing research on all the mods you are thinking about buying. That is the only way you are going to find the one you like the most. If not, you will likely spend a lot of money, only to find there is no magic formula that works for everyone.

Personal tastes are very different, and the likely hood of disappointment is very high, if you move too fast with regards to the mods you select. Take your time.

Rushing in, and buying something 'just because' it's not stock, is not the best game plan IMO.

The car is great in it's stock form, so there should be no rush on your part to transform it into something else. (not yet anyways)

At least that's what I think.

Thanks for the feedback. I really plan on taking full advantage of the expertise on the course. And, plan on researching, just like I did when I picked out this M3 before I do anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Courtenay?? Try Saratoga Speedway for a quick short auto-x fix!
It would but, I'd really like to explore and learn more about the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Also, becasue I'm so new at this I ended up putting the same feeler out. My Apologies
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Like others have said, avoid Dinan since you can get the same or better performance for less from other venders here.

Significant gains come from removing the cats. If you just do the secondary cats, you won't have any issues with a check engine light. But if you take out the first set of cats, you'll need software to fix the light and get more power. AA, GIAC, Encore are a few that offer software.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
That's OK. I merged the two threads into this one. Welcome to the site and to the world of modding your M3!
Very glad to be here. It's been a long time coming for me to get something like this but, well worth the wait. This is a whole new world that I'm chomping at the bit to explore.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I you want the best 'Bang for your Buck' mod: an SSK (short shift kit) may be it.

A rear exhaust makes a big sound difference/upgrade, but I'd prefer to go all the way with a full exhaust system, tune, etc. That's what I'm doing currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I agree with LeMans. So few people take the car to the track. That's where you realize you don't need more power, but need more track days!!

Try your local BMWCCA Chapter. They have GREAT instructors and it's very reasonably priced.
+3...mod yourself (through training) not your car. It's much more cost effective and it will last a lifetime. BMWCCA or the Canadian equivelent do a great job. Too bad you're not in Ontario, lots of good tracks there. Mosport, Calabogie, and Mont Tremblant, QC with-in a few hours drive.
      08-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

So, because I'm sorta new at this who exactly is AA, GIAC and Encore so I can research and look at the websites etc
Appreciate 0