BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #45
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
I took out the little "silver" spring too by mistake. Any pics of how it goes back? Thx.
just hook it up. part 15.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #46
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 & 67 Alfa GTV

Got it done. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #47
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

prob the best mod i have ever done, n its free!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #48
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

I finally did the mod today....All I can say is THANK YOU!!! Awesome mod. It really helps with clutch feel. I also noticed under hard acceleration the 1 to 2 shift is alot smoother.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #49
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep

Now you must perform the CDV removal and you will experience clutch action nirvana!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #50
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Now you must perform the CDV removal and you will experience clutch action nirvana!
Not necessary in this car. A number of people have taken it out and shown pics of the valve being hollow, just like the fake ones.
      11-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #51
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

maybe you can stick a much lighter spring in there from a remote control car if oyu want to leave it in place?! What are the dimensions of the spring?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #52
CodeRed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Not necessary in this car. A number of people have taken it out and shown pics of the valve being hollow, just like the fake ones.
I completely disagree with your statement, as it was VERY obvious on my car...it made a distinct difference. Do you really think that BMW puts in fake CD valves? What purpose would that serve, as the part is unnecessary otherwise. Although, it still don't agree with why they put them in to begin with, as it really ruins the clutch action...then again I don't do "burn outs" or drag racing so they wouldn't have to be concerned with my type of use.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #53
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Although, it still don't agree with why they put them in to begin with, as it really ruins the clutch action...then again I don't do "burn outs" or drag racing so they wouldn't have to be concerned with my type of use.
That is usually why they do it...to keep the clutch from becoming an on/off switch and smoothing the power engagement for driveline component longevity.
I don't drag either, so it's not an issue for me, too.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #54
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Am I the only one that feels the clutch pedal is too high. Compared to my old car the friction point is much higher. Does anyone have any idea to lower it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #55
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I completely disagree with your statement, as it was VERY obvious on my car...it made a distinct difference. Do you really think that BMW puts in fake CD valves? What purpose would that serve, as the part is unnecessary otherwise. Although, it still don't agree with why they put them in to begin with, as it really ruins the clutch action...then again I don't do "burn outs" or drag racing so they wouldn't have to be concerned with my type of use.
There's a thread on this forum somewhere with pics comparing to two. The company found taking the CDV out had absolutely no advantage. Let me see if I can find the thread.
      11-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #56
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

found it. On the first page of this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=cdv
      11-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #57
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentanyl View Post
Am I the only one that feels the clutch pedal is too high. Compared to my old car the friction point is much higher. Does anyone have any idea to lower it?
to lower?...no. What most do is use a clutch-stop that effectively reduces pedal travel, eliminating pedal overrun, and achieving your goal.
With that said, when I removed the clutch-spring...well, I no longer felt I needed to make a clutch-stop, as the travel "feels" shorter. Trust me, it is not shorter, but because the clutch engagement is no longer muddled bythe clutch-spring transition, it's a much cleaner action and the distance between full-depression and engagement feels diminished. I left the clutch-stop mod alone.

Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #58
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
found it. On the first page of this thread.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=cdv
Good find, J.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #59
Fentanyl
///Mazing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 AW M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
to lower?...no. What most do is use a clutch-stop that effectively reduces pedal travel, eliminating pedal overrun, and achieving your goal.
With that said, when I removed the clutch-spring...well, I no longer felt I needed to make a clutch-stop, as the travel "feels" shorter. Trust me, it is not shorter, but because the clutch engagement is no longer muddled bythe clutch-spring transition, it's a much cleaner action and the distance between full-depression and engagement feels diminished. I left the clutch-stop mod alone.

Be good,
TomK

Thanks for the info. I'll try the spring removal and see how that goes. So I guess my next question would be how do install the clutch-stop if decide to do it after.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #60
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentanyl View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll try the spring removal and see how that goes. So I guess my next question would be how do install the clutch-stop if decide to do it after.
That will be what you can do...I don't know of a specific application for te E9X clutches. But try the spring-removal first...let us know how you feel after...

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #61
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

A mod I need to try out as well. Thanks guys and any negatives so far?
      12-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #62
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Clutch stop? Is that something you buy or make?

I find the clutch travel is too far. In order to depress the clutch fully, I actually have to tiptoe a bit and I'm 5'10. I tried moving up my seat but then I'm too close to the wheel and the other pedals.

I'd also like to hear any negatives about the spring removal.
      12-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #63
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Haven't found a negative yet
      12-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #64
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep

reply below in RED...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Clutch stop? Is that something you buy or make?
-One usually needs to "fabricate" a clutch-stop, unless a company makes one for us...which I am not aware of any offered.
I find the clutch travel is too far. In order to depress the clutch fully, I actually have to tiptoe a bit and I'm 5'10. I tried moving up my seat but then I'm too close to the wheel and the other pedals.
-unless you can fabricate a stop, you may want to try to cut a 2"x2" piece of wood to fit over the pedal and bolt it on. Now that's not the most elegant solution, but it should help you.
If not, then you might be able to apply something like this from Carolina Clutch...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...arolina+clutch

I'd also like to hear any negatives about the spring removal.
I may be biased, as I started this thread, but I have no negatives on the spring removal. The only result is an even pressure, or increase of pressure, while you depress the pedal. The action becomes linear, which is the resultant benefit/reason for removal of the spring. Perhaps the only negative is that the pedal is more difficult to keep depressed for a long period of time...like at a traffic light...but you really shouldn't be doing that anyway.
Be good.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #65
javito50
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White

Wooooww this is heaven, i hate M3s clutch, i thought that i became stupid with this car and its gear changing hehehe, i am so happy, i will do it as soon as i can!

Thank You"!"!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #66
CatchM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X6M Competition DG

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [9.00]
Hey folks, just need some clarification. can someone please tell me which spring it is using this diagram as a reference. Which number?