BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Replacing back tires

Can I replace the back tires with a different brand? (vs the OEM michellin in the front?)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

of course. its recommended that all 4 be the same but not everyone abides by that.

I wouldn't track w different tires though.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMID INC View Post
of course. its recommended that all 4 be the same but not everyone abides by that.

I wouldn't track w different tires though.
Do you know why?
My point is: because of less performance (different grip, ride) or can damage something?

I can't think of any part of the car that can be damaged...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Do you know why?
My point is: because of less performance (different grip, ride) or can damage something?

It's not a risk of damage that results in the warning against mixing tires. As you mentioned, different tires have unique characteristics that may change the handling balance of the car. This will be a greater risk in the wet, since the variance in how tires manage water tends to be greater than their dry grip, assuming the same class of tire. It's no different than changing any variable, just be cautious in pushing the limit. The one situation you must avoid is different tires on each side of the rear axle, and I know that is not your plan.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Do you know why?

The damage would only come about if you hit something because of the imbalance in the handling. Steering response, grip level vs slip angle, traction in wet vs. dry, and basically any other handling parameter you could name might be different. Different enough to make you lose control? Not usually, but aggressive driving or emergency maneuvers will be a bit riskier.

I would never mix tires if I could help it, but as a short term situation it sometimes works out without any major issue.
      05-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
westend117
A Priori
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
The damage would only come about if you hit something because of the imbalance in the handling. Steering response, grip level vs slip angle, traction in wet vs. dry, and basically any other handling parameter you could name might be different. Different enough to make you lose control? Not usually, but aggressive driving or emergency maneuvers will be a bit riskier.

I would never mix tires if I could help it, but as a short term situation it sometimes works out without any major issue.
Agreed. Mixing is for cocktails, not tires.

Ben, do you feel 255/275 is a good up-sizing for width for the M3? My suspension etc. is stock but I wouldn't want to have any rubbing issues on the front. Forum opinions seem all over the place on this.
Appreciate 0