BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

04-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
KMIII
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M-DCT E92 M3

Value of my car

Just a question...if I bought a loaded 08 M3 e92 brand new, what would be the market value in 3 years after 30,000 miles?

Space Gray Coupe
Silver Novillo
Premium
Cold
Tech
Enhanced sound
Carbon Fiber roof

Sticker $70,770
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

Magic 8 ball says..."Ask again in 3 years"
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Prob. you'll trade in for 1/2 of MSRP or slightly more than 1/2 for private party sale. Im guessing.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Dontbethatguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Manual

There's no magical answer. It will depend on how the market is at that point. If you would've posted a year ago that you could get $15000-$20000 off on a new '08 M3 coupe you would've gotten bashed. The current economic condition and market demand will dictate what it's worth at that time. All you're going to get are guesses. With that said, I think half price of MSRP is a safe bet. That's based on three schooners of beer.

Trevor
      04-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Buying brand new right now is just INSANE. These cars are going for less than 50k at auction right now
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Samifumi
Private First Class
Syria
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMIII View Post
Just a question...if I bought a loaded 08 M3 e92 brand new, what would be the market value in 3 years after 30,000 miles?

Space Gray Coupe
Silver Novillo
Premium
Cold
Tech
Enhanced sound
Carbon Fiber roof

Sticker $70,770
A CPO'ed Space Gray with DCT just sold at Schomp BMW in Colorado for $54,000 (or less). It retailed for $72k+, was owned for 5 months, and had approximately 10,000 miles. The CPO warranty is about $5000 when purchased individually. I've refused to give dealers their asking prices on a new M3 because of the enormous depreciation the car has been taking, but that's probably why I still don't have an M3.

I am going to end up with an M3, but I don't know when and what year model. If I continue to wait, I'm probably going to wait for a 2009 with the updated iDrive to hit the CPO market (the CPO market is more willing to swallow the depreciation instead of trying to prop up resale values). All things being equal, my preference is to have the 2009 than the 2008 because of the iDrive interface alone. That should factor into the expected value of the car 3 years down the road.

I briefly negotiated with Fields Auto in Daytona on the Space Gray M3 Coupe w/DCT you purchased. I offered $54,000 expecting to eat some of the depreciation. Clearly, we didn't see eye to eye on many things. They told me someone in Spring, Texas purchased for around $60,000 (and tried to rub it in my face no less). Classy guys those car dealers. I presume that person is you, so Congratulations are in order.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
ChrisFastM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samifumi View Post
They told me someone in Spring, Texas purchased for around $60,000 (and tried to rub it in my face no less). Classy guys those car dealers. I presume that person is you, so Congratulations are in order.
Since your flexible on time (& colors I presume), just leave them your offer & your phone number. Tell them to call you once they're tired of seeing the car on the lot. A member on the forums here walked away with a sweet deal that way. DCT is still pretty hot in the market though. You have a lot more wiggle room with the 6 speeds.

I hear ya loud & clear about the depreciation factor. I had my deposit down to get an E92 M3 for June of 08 delivery at MSRP but, I chickened out on the 11th hour due to the economic climate. Glad I did. It would have sucked a big one if I lost $20k for having the car for only 10 months. Instead, I made some good short term investments & made $ instead Best of luck to both of you!

Last edited by ChrisFastM3; 04-21-2009 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
ygfamily21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman S

30-35k i think
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
BimmerNerdJr.
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samifumi View Post
I briefly negotiated with Fields Auto in Daytona on the Space Gray M3 Coupe w/DCT you purchased. I offered $54,000 expecting to eat some of the depreciation. Clearly, we didn't see eye to eye on many things. They told me someone in Spring, Texas purchased for around $60,000 (and tried to rub it in my face no less). Classy guys those car dealers. I presume that person is you, so Congratulations are in order.

Just for the record, I know many folks who have bought cars from this dealer and I have never heard of any negative feedback from them. I can only assume that you just simply weren't offering them a fair price for the car. And at $54,000, these guys aren't even pulling a profit. I'm amazed at how many of you folks on here think that dealers don't mind losing money. Especially on a vehicle with DCT that warrants a profit (even if it's a small one)You expect them to give you everything and you don't offer anything in return. Don't badmouth someone for trying to make a smart business decision. Are you in business to lose money? Didn't think so...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Samifumi
Private First Class
Syria
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNerdJr. View Post
Just for the record, I know many folks who have bought cars from this dealer and I have never heard of any negative feedback from them. I can only assume that you just simply weren't offering them a fair price for the car. And at $54,000, these guys aren't even pulling a profit. I'm amazed at how many of you folks on here think that dealers don't mind losing money. Especially on a vehicle with DCT that warrants a profit (even if it's a small one)You expect them to give you everything and you don't offer anything in return. Don't badmouth someone for trying to make a smart business decision. Are you in business to lose money? Didn't think so...
I knew this would come up. No where in my posting did I defame the business. It was all factual and verifiable through the emails. I simply relayed my experiences with the dealership, stating what I offered, and that we did not see things eye to eye, a benign assertion by all accounts.

Am I in the business to lose money? Of course not. For this reason I drove such a hard bargain and still do to this day. I am not interested in making the dealership money. Their interests are not my interests. The dealership doesn't offer any particular service to me, and I do not care if they make money. In fact, I find dealerships to be outdated business models that are in need of tweaking, and if free market forces put them out of business, I won't miss them. The car sells itself, the dealer didn't offer any particular service to me that justified their profit margins. They fill out paperwork and maintain enormous overhead that I am not all that keen on being responsible.

The car was a 2008. At the point I was making offers, anything that helped them cover their costs was a reasonable offer. The car had been sitting on lots for one year. By selling it at the price they sold it, they already lost. How much they were willing to lose was part of the negotiation process. They went a different way, which is their prerogative. What I didn't appreciate was some of the exchanges after the fact, and I have a right as a consumer to voice my displeasure with the professionalism of the dealer based on those email exchanges.
Appreciate 0