BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

EXXEL Distributions

12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

Dealership needs nonrefundable deposit for this???

I'm thinking of ordering another M3 with one of the individual colors, and for some reason the dealer is telling me they need a $2,500 nonrefundable deposit to even ask BMW NA if they will make the car. Seems strange.

The dealership also told me they just tack on $5,000 to the price of the car and then "request" the color from BMW NA. If BMW NA says ok, the car gets produced (and the paint price would then be adjusted). Does this jive with what others have been told?

Why can't they just ask BMW NA if they will make the M3 in the individual color and get a price...maybe I'm missing something.

Any help on this would be great. Thanks as always.
      12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

Normally I would walk-away from any dealer asking for a non-refundable deposit. But in the case of Individual Paint, I can understand as there is some risk to the dealer (should you back out of the deal).

Not many people want to pay the 5k premium for paint. I have seen this waived if there is buying history with the same dealer.

In-terms of guaranteeing the build with your preferred color, I have read this before and it is in BMW's court.

What color are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

All they have to do is ask......that process cost them nothing. Try one of the vendors on here.......Jimmy where are you?.................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
Normally I would walk-away from any dealer asking for a non-refundable deposit. But in the case of Individual Paint, I can understand as there is some risk to the dealer (should you back out of the deal).

Not many people want to pay the 5k premium for paint. I have seen this waived if there is buying history with the same dealer.

In-terms of guaranteeing the build with your preferred color, I have read this before and it is in BMW's court.

Considering the Fire Orange. I do have buying history with the dealer, but they are never straight-shooters IMO. I was looking at the Lime Rock edition but the only ones I can find are DCT and I want a manual
      12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
All they have to do is ask......that process cost them nothing. Try one of the vendors on here.......Jimmy where are you?.................Phil
That's what I would think....its not rocket science...they either will or won't make the color. This dealership is also one of the largest in the world, so I can imagine they can get an answer quickly if they wanted to.
      12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post

THIS...dealers have been burned too many times ordering individual colors and that have customers back out

Custom paint means you need to guarantee purchase either through prepayment or non-refundable deposit. If a dealer chooses to work with you without this they do so at their own discretion
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
THIS...dealers have been burned too many times ordering individual colors and that have customers back out

Custom paint means you need to guarantee purchase either through prepayment or non-refundable deposit. If a dealer chooses to work with you without this they do so at their own discretion

asking if the color is available is different than ordering the car. im just trying to understand this process.
      12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think OP is stating that dealer won't even find out if the color can be had without a deposit. Once it's determined that BMW will produce the car, then I can see them requesting a deposit from OP..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeneral101 View Post
asking if the color is available is different than ordering the car. im just trying to understand this process.
Quote:
I think OP is stating that dealer won't even find out if the color can be had without a deposit. Once it's determined that BMW will produce the car, then I can see them requesting a deposit from OP..............Phil
I dont believe thats how it works..if they have to "ask" for the color and BMW says no, you are not going to be out any money, because they didnt fulfill their end of the deal..its basic contract law

The non-refundable deposit becomes non-refundable when the order is place and the commitment is made to build the car
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont believe thats how it works..if they have to "ask" for the color and BMW says no, you are not going to be out any money, because they didnt fulfill their end of the deal..its basic contract law

The non-refundable deposit becomes non-refundable when the order is place and the commitment is made to build the car
I wish that's how it worked (at least at this dealer). They WILL NOT inquire if the color can be made without a nonrefundable deposit. Now granted, if the color can't be made they would give my money back...but why can't they just ask.

For example, what if I just asked them what the current individual colors are for M3's? They would need 2,500 from me to answer that? Doesn't make sense to me.
      12-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I had my dealer request a individual color prior to my purchase. I was even copied on the email chain to BMWNA. It doesn't cost a dime to ask..........Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish that's how it worked (at least at this dealer). They WILL NOT inquire if the color can be made without a nonrefundable deposit. Now granted, if the color can't be made they would give my money back...but why can't they just ask.

For example, what if I just asked them what the current individual colors are for M3's? They would need 2,500 from me to answer that? Doesn't make sense to me.
Every dealer is different but I guess this is a way to make sure they are dealing with serious buyers intent on going through with the deal

Ask them point blank -

What happens if BMW says no, we wont build it? I am sure they will say they would issue a refund

and make sure to read over any documents carefully before you sign
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
lol im here sorry, was at the range!

Just shoot Checa an email and she will get you set up. We do not mark up individual orders. We sell them the same rate over invoice as we do a regular M set up.

Ryan/Checa sell more individual BMW's then anyone, they know the routine and have it down to a science

email address is below in my signature

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Just shoot Checa an email and she will get you set up. We dont mark up individual orders either. We sell the same rate as we do a regular M set up.

There you go OP..problem solved
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just shoot Checa an email and she will get you set up. We dont mark up individual orders either. We sell the same rate as we do a regular M set up.

I knew you would chime in and save the OP from this BS .........Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go OP..problem solved
lol nice, sending an email now. love this place (most of the time lol)
      12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Every dealer is different but I guess this is a way to make sure they are dealing with serious buyers intent on going through with the deal

Ask them point blank -

What happens if BMW says no, we wont build it? I am sure they will say they would issue a refund

and make sure to read over any documents carefully before you sign
I've purchased from them before, not like I'm a guy off the street. I understand not wanted to take on risk, but just asking for colors doesn't risk anything.
      12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've purchased from them before, not like I'm a guy off the street. I understand not wanted to take on risk, but just asking for colors doesn't risk anything.
Well if you are a repeat customer then shame on them..guess they are out a sale
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if you are a repeat customer then shame on them..guess they are out a sale
they sure are
      12-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^If you need anything else at anytime just pm me and I can find out the status on the email etc.. for you no problem

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^^If you need anything else at anytime just pm me and I can find out the status on the email etc.. for you no problem
thanks! I already sent the email, so just waiting for a response now. appreciate the help.
      12-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
GOLFFRR
Rep

cool. Checa and Ryan were off since Monday so im sure they are playing a little catch up today.

In your email make sure you list what color and set up your looking for and she will contact BMW individual and get it all set up and put a quote together for you and you can go from there.

Be aware that getting an answer on a indiv request can take 1 hour or upto 3 days sometimes. It will all depend on bmw indiv. As far as color goes pretty much can get whatever color you want, beauty of BMW indiv program

Appreciate 0