BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Winter Tyres now compulsory in Germany

I almost forgot that on 1 January, Germany made it compulsory that tyres "suitable to the weather conditions" are installed on every vehicle. I think AS tyres are OK as long as there is not a lot of snow/ice. Otherwise, tyres with that snowflake-on-the-mountain logo are required.

If you're caught driving with summer tyres in winter (and I'm guessing vice-versa), firstly it's a €40 fine. Secondly, if you block a road because you're stuck with unsuitable tyres, then they will fine you (I can't remember how much) for causing an obstruction. Thirdly, if you get into an accident with unsuitable tyres, then you will be liable for the damage to your car (the insurance won't cover it). Fourthly, if it can be proved by experts that having suitable tyres could have prevented (or maybe even minimised) the accident, then you will also be liable for any third party damage out of your own pocket.

From what I can gather after talking with some people, the new law is a little vague (ie, what exactly constitutes "tyres suitable to the weather conditions" etc). But nevertheless, it makes the investment worthwhile.

Now if only the damn rental companies would stop charging extra for winter tyres (usually €15 per day) during the winter!! :mad:

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I think it's ridiculous.

I ALWAY drive with normal(not winter)tyres in your country.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
I think it's ridiculous.

I ALWAY drive with normal(not winter)tyres in your country.
I don't think it's so ridiculous. I rented a 320d (didn't really want to put 3,500km on my car) over new year for 8 days to go to Berlin and Copenhagen. I opted to skip the winter tyres because it would have meant another €125. It was one of the stupidest things I ever did. About half-way to Berlin it started snowing. And not that wet stuff. This was the disgusting, slimy, icy stuff. I can tell you the summer tyres had absolutely 0 grip! Even touching the brakes caused the ABS and DSC to kick in and even still the back end was wobbling. And that was only half the problem. Of course, everyone else had winter tyres and could maintain about 80km/h or so, and there's me, barely able to do 30. The fear of losing control and being smacked into by another car (or even worse, a truck) was pretty high and I was white knuckled for the entired 5km's to the next rest stop (luckily it was close!). Earlier I had seen a 5 or 6 car pile-up (apparently it was also on the news) and I didn't really want to end up like that. I don't think I've ever been that scared in my entire 30 or so years or driving.

So of course, I was straight on the phone to Sixt (who were extremely helpful; two big thumbs up to them) and arranged to have another car ready in Leipzig, this time with winter tyres. So I waited for about 2 hours for the roads to be salted and the snow to melt and drove on to Leipzig to get another car.

I'm glad I did, because when I arrived in Copenhagen the next day, it snowed heavily to the point you couldn't see the curbs anymore. You could immediately tell who had winters and who didn't. Those that did could drive pretty normally (althought a little slower of course). Those that didn't were either stuck, or if they could somehow manage to get moving, were sliding all over the place. I saw one van driving down a small street sideways! That's not exactly my idea of fun (except in a closed environment; now that's fun!).

So anyway, if people want to drive in snowy/icy weather with summer tyres then that's their decision. But there's going to be no sympathy from me if there's an accident. And they'd better stay away from my car!

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm

Last edited by jcoo085; 01-05-2006 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I think it makes sense, but it is kind of a difficult rule to enforce only in one area. Are other parts of europe adopting this law?

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
I'm not sure what the other EU member states are doing. And I'm not sure what they will do with cars registered outside Germany. My guess is they will get an on-the-spot fine, just like they can for speeding etc. Because you have to follow the laws of the country you're driving in.

Someone also mentioned to me that the police will be taking it easy this winter by mainly giving warnings (unless you get stuck and block the road, or get into an accident). But next winter you can bet that they will be cracking down.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I'm pretty sure the German police is not gonna ticket some out-of-country cars for not having winter tires, this is like saying the Canadian cops ticket any Americans that come up here for not have DRL (daytime running lights), as the Canadian law requires all cars be equipped with DRL, while the Americans do not have such a law

however, I do think it's a great idea to have winters tires in the winter, makes for safer driving, for you and for your fellow motorists
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
TIRES!

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by db17k
TIRES!
hey, smart a**, that's how the English spell "tyre", tire in North America is tyre in England/Europe
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
I'm pretty sure the German police is not gonna ticket some out-of-country cars for not having winter tires, this is like saying the Canadian cops ticket any Americans that come up here for not have DRL (daytime running lights), as the Canadian law requires all cars be equipped with DRL, while the Americans do not have such a law
Hmm. Interesting point. However Scandinavia has the same law regarding DRL's. This means I could still get a ticket if I didn't drive with my headlights on, even in a German registered car.

In Finland, winter tyres are compulsory from 1 December until the end of February and this also applies foreign vehicles. However, Norway and Sweden also make winter tyres compulsory but only for locally registered vehicles. So it will be interesting to see what direction they go in.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

jcoo, I understand what you mean, but we 've had pretty much snow last winters and I ALWAYS drove with normal tyres. My former M3 too. And IN the snow I could maintain 100km/h or more(braking distances sucks doh)on the highway where many other cars were doing 50/60kmh inthe slower lane. Maybe I am a lunatic dunno

This is me, no worries j/k
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Law sort of makes sense, especailly with so many oem tires being the Summer/performance tires now.

However, I can't see Spain putting this into effect esp since it rarely snows there. Germans are a bit more law-oriented. Do the Swiss have this law as well? I remember working there and someone told me that it was against the law to mow the lawn before/after certain times because of noise pollution?!?
      01-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Here is a link regarding winter tyres in various European countries (but still has the old German 'law' in there).

Winter Tyres

Robin Hood, I also understand what you're saying. I know a few people in Belgium who wouldn't even think of having 2 sets of wheels (althought I'm not sure if they just use All-Seasons). I guess it all depends on what you're used to and what the roads are like. And maybe you do have to be a little nutty .

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
canucklion
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
Hmm. Interesting point. However Scandinavia has the same law regarding DRL's. This means I could still get a ticket if I didn't drive with my headlights on, even in a German registered car.

In Finland, winter tyres are compulsory from 1 December until the end of February and this also applies foreign vehicles. However, Norway and Sweden also make winter tyres compulsory but only for locally registered vehicles. So it will be interesting to see what direction they go in.
good point, I guess with the DRL regulation, you can always flick on your headlight in a DRL-manditory country, whereas with winter tires, not so easy haha,
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

These laws that are so vague end up getting thrown out by courts, at least in the US. What is 'suitable'. (what is 'weather'?) Some bad officer can use it for whatever reason he wants.
I'd rather the government use it for education of drivers. Maybe buy an advertisement on the TV.
Driving in the UK (and I bet in Germany) is much nicer because drivers take it serious. In the US, there's no hope.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
Heidelberg328i
2007 328i in Germany
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Ok...I have been told by both the Polizei and MP (Military Police) Officers that All-Season Radial tires are the minimum requirement for snow. The Polizei have told me that winter/snow tires are by far the best, but ASR tires are acceptable and my auto insurance at USAA state that ASR tires are fine. Both law enforcement officials did tell me though that summer/performance tires are illegal during winter and fines will be administered to violaters and if an accident did transpire, auto insurance may not cover your damages and if the Polizei DO SEE YOU driving by with performance/summer tires, they WILL pull your ass over and ticket you. MP's are a little more leniant, though. And all Americans in Germany know that the Polizei are more leniant on Americans for our gas guzzlers, driving techniques, window tint etc., etc. (The Polizei are RUTHLESS on their OWN people...LOL!)