BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Adjusting rear camber

I know I've read that there is some camber adjustment available in the rear suspension but I wasn't positive on where the adjustment is. Is it the inner bolt or the outer bolt on the suspension arm?

Here a pic I took of the drivers side and passengers side respectively.

I assume that the one with the adjustment is the lower inner bolt with that washer that looks somewhat off center. Notice its in different positions on the driver's and passenger's side and thus my rear camber is a bit off on drivers side. I was going to ask the shop that did my alignment to correct but at first they told me they could adjust the rear camber so I was going to explain to them that there is some adjustment available. I just want to be sure I'm telling them the right thing.
      07-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It's the inner bolts with the eccentric washers on the lower camber arm.

Parts 7, 8, 9.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
It's the inner bolts with the eccentric washers on the lower camber arm.

Parts 7, 8, 9.

So depending on the orientation of the washer (#9), that determines the camber setting right? Because the washers on mine are not set at the same orientation, that would cause the 0.2 degree difference in camber between the two?
      07-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Keep in mind that it will also affect the toe with each adjustment in camber because the toe are is so close to the camber arm.
It would have been better if BMW made the upper arm adjustable for camber. I think some racing teams have come out with an arm that's adjustable there for the 1 series.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
So depending on the orientation of the washer (#9), that determines the camber setting right? Because the washers on mine are not set at the same orientation, that would cause the 0.2 degree difference in camber between the two?
Yes and no. Other settings also affect camber such as the toe arms. It is not easy to align the M3 due to all the crosstalk that goes on.

Keep in mind that 0.2 degree is well within the tolerance spec'd by BMW (0.5 deg.)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Yes and no. Other settings also affect camber such as the toe arms. It is not easy to align the M3 due to all the crosstalk that goes on.

Keep in mind that 0.2 degree is well within the tolerance spec'd by BMW (0.5 deg.)
I realize that my cross camber is within spec but one side is at -1.5 degrees which is not within spec. I'm just trying to get that .1 or .2 more to be within spec.