BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #23
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Yeah, in terms of a few laps for timing purposes the Sport Cup + were not known as this massively improved grip tire that everyone believes is the case and the tread wear on street was terrible. Today's PSSs are better in terms of performance and obviously, wear.
For the purposes of one fast lap, I'd take a slightly wider '14 spec PSS over the '07 tire all day.

PSS keep pace with some of the best modern street legal performance tires

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...res-tested.pdf

PSS is definitely a better tire in terms of conventional wear. On track, maybe. I've seen them get torn up pretty quick.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

would say….e92 M3. The DCT will give you a gain of 3-4sec. Not more.
And forget the Cup+ tire.
Have driven it, too 3 years ago.
Don't have the proof, but I'd say the new SuperSport is not better or worse
than a Cup+ tire.
The normal Michelin Pilot Cup is a great tire. But the Cup+ is just a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #25
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
For the purposes of one fast lap, I'd take a slightly wider '14 spec PSS over the '07 tire all day.

PSS keep pace with some of the best modern street legal performance tires

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...res-tested.pdf

PSS is definitely a better tire in terms of conventional wear. On track, maybe. I've seen them get torn up pretty quick.
Well I can't comment on the Sport Cup + vs PSS/PS2 since I never tried them. If they aren't better then I guess that's the way it goes. I would have thought they are a much faster tire given their design and intended use as a R comp track focused tire compared to a more street-focused summer tire. But whatever.

As for the PS2/PSS, i can't understand all the love for them on this site. Sure, they're not bad at all as a street tire, but they're such crap tires on the track. I tried both and I will never go back to either one again. The Advan Neova AD08 I have now are way better. The PS2 and PSS get greasy and slippery after a few laps on the track. And the sidewall is way too soft. The heavy weight of the M3, the softness of the stock suspension, and the lack of camber along with the soft sidewall to make the tire roll big time onto the outside edge in corners. I had large chunks of tire literally tear out of the outer edge of the tires and had to throw them away despite still having half the tread left. I also felt the steering feel being a bit more numb with the Michelins and less precise, probably also due to the softer sidewalls. The AD08 have improved steering feel and precision quite a bit. Sure, wet performance is a bit worse, but not really by that much.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Well I can't comment on the Sport Cup + vs PSS/PS2 since I never tried them. If they aren't better then I guess that's the way it goes. I would have thought they are a much faster tire given their design and intended use as a R comp track focused tire compared to a more street-focused summer tire. But whatever.

As for the PS2/PSS, i can't understand all the love for them on this site. Sure, they're not bad at all as a street tire, but they're such crap tires on the track. I tried both and I will never go back to either one again. The Advan Neova AD08 I have now are way better. The PS2 and PSS get greasy and slippery after a few laps on the track. And the sidewall is way too soft. The heavy weight of the M3, the softness of the stock suspension, and the lack of camber along with the soft sidewall to make the tire roll big time onto the outside edge in corners. I had large chunks of tire literally tear out of the outer edge of the tires and had to throw them away despite still having half the tread left. I also felt the steering feel being a bit more numb with the Michelins and less precise, probably also due to the softer sidewalls. The AD08 have improved steering feel and precision quite a bit. Sure, wet performance is a bit worse, but not really by that much.
PSS is very good over a lap, skidpad, autocross, etc. but they lack the durability of an RS3, AD08, NT01, etc.

My dct came with new PS2's. It's been years since I last had them. Honestly I think they suck on the street, forget about the track. Best street tires I've had on the M3 were Conti DW's. Quiet, good grip, and they were seriously good on a wet track day.

Appreciate 0