BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #45
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
^^^ OR not.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #46
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 aw/cf m3

I have 45k miles and have had my 08 M3 for 3.5 years. I am in the middle of them testing my battery multiple times and finally finding a problem. As almost every one else, they have started by telling me BMW NA is saying it is not covered because of my driver profile? I guess the question I have is, is this the dealership or BMW NA? My dealership has always been top notch and has gone out of their way to take care of me. But the early verdict is not covered and they are stating there is no decision on their part, they just submit it and BMW NA decides. I also have had a baattery tender for the past 3 years? Does that impact warranty coverage with such low mileage? Finally, will they give me a better trade in value, since 45k miles is such low mileage???
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #47
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

I got my battery changed under warranty. It is not only about how many kilometers you drive yearly, it is also about how many kilometers you drive for each trip (from when you start the car till you turn it off)
Having a good relationship with your dealership resolves all these issues.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #48
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
I have 45k miles and have had my 08 M3 for 3.5 years. I am in the middle of them testing my battery multiple times and finally finding a problem. As almost every one else, they have started by telling me BMW NA is saying it is not covered because of my driver profile? I guess the question I have is, is this the dealership or BMW NA? My dealership has always been top notch and has gone out of their way to take care of me. But the early verdict is not covered and they are stating there is no decision on their part, they just submit it and BMW NA decides. I also have had a baattery tender for the past 3 years? Does that impact warranty coverage with such low mileage? Finally, will they give me a better trade in value, since 45k miles is such low mileage???
So the dealer said it was due to your driving profile even though you have a high mileage car and you have a battery tender? I say it's high mileage because I'm at 19k miles and I'm pretty sure my battery doesn't get fully charged because my commute is about 30 miles two-way if I drive the car and it only does this maybe once a week. Battery still holding charge but I ended up getting a battery tender because I was draining the battery too much when I'm messing around with coding the car. If and when the battery gives, I'm going to replace it with the mini Cooper battery and save myself 25 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #49
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I know it's not the total mileage, but the amount of short trips as well. I guess a commute to work is negated by a 1 mile drive to lunch? That's why I bought the damn battery tender 6 months in, to avoid warranty issues. OH, well. Is the mini-cooper battery a viable option? I have only looked at the braille battery and it seems to have some issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #50
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtm3 View Post
Yeah, I know it's not the total mileage, but the amount of short trips as well. I guess a commute to work is negated by a 1 mile drive to lunch? That's why I bought the damn battery tender 6 months in, to avoid warranty issues. OH, well. Is the mini-cooper battery a viable option? I have only looked at the braille battery and it seems to have some issues.
I figure if I keep it hooked up to the tender, the mini battery will be fine. There's a thread on it in the DIY section. I think you'll be ok as long as you register the battery and code the car so it knows you are running a smaller battery so it won't over charge it. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321965. 24 lbs. is a pretty significant weight saving, that along with my Akrapovic exhaust, I'll be saving 75 lbs. Not going to do the rear seat removal or anything that takes away from the functionality of the car. I don't think those Braille batteries are a viable option for daily driving and they don't fit into the car like the mini battery does. I say you go with the mini battery, just make sure you code it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #51
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Further down the thread, I see the battery started to fail. I think I will probably just go OEM. Can other places code and register the battery or does it have to be the dealership? I know Autozone can't, but my local import repair place?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #52
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

dealer replaced mine...

I just had mine replaced under warranty on a modified (sc'd), no questions asked...the SA's position was "unless you spliced into the electrical system and have some monstrous sub in the trunk I don't care what's under the hood"
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #53
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

I had this same problem. SA told me my car had been underdriven so the battery failed. He covered it under warranty. If you dont drive 1000 miles a month your car is underdriven. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #54
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Finally after my third time in for this issue, they replaced my battery under warranty....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #55
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
It is not only about how many kilometers you drive yearly, it is also about how many kilometers you drive for each trip (from when you start the car till you turn it off)
Having a good relationship with your dealership resolves all these issues.
Fully Agreed! I had a similar issue recently with my Dealer and was told the same thing (driving profile). My good relationship with the Dealer solved the problem but I also purchased a Tender.

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #56
vtm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally replaced under warranty. I had a tender the whole time, which evidently convinced BMW to replace it. The dealership is 100% the reason. They spent a week testing it, I am not sure how they bill BMW NA, but I am sure it was more than the $159 I could buy a battery from Tischer and whatever they would charge to register it. It is confusing which battles BMW choses to fight. I have had some minor cosmetic issues that they did not flinch to fix and even found more that I would not have complained about, yet they continually want to tell BMW drivers that their driving profile is not suitable for a BMW. Well, at least not if you want to use the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #57
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Haven't even got my car and reading shit like this pisses me off.

Maybe BMWNA should post acceptable "driving profiles" so we know that we are in spec and our cars warranty will be covered. What a total crock of shit I'd expect this from GM.

Weak ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #58
bainmd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Same problem here. Brought it in twice and the dealer is giving me the same driver profile story. $517 to replace the battery.

Drive it every day, just flipped 10k miles, and just started with the battery discharge warning around 9k miles. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #59
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Yea, this issue has began to pop up for me recently. It's not my DD, but then again it hasn't been for a year and it started doing it just recently. Dealership says "Are you sure you're not leaving anything on at night?".
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #60
gone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Me too

Had same error come up several times in last 4 weeks. I drive the car, a 2008 E93 M3, well within the acceptable "daily driving" times. Finally car will not start or do anything electrical at all last Friday. I try trickle charger, I try emergency portable starter. Nothing works. Finally I jump start it with my Dad's 2012 528i. Dealer, Quality BMW of Fort Walton Beach Florida, takes car in a 0900 today and calls back at 6pm as they are closing maintenance shop to leave a messge with my Father that I can pick car up in the morning. They have not replaced the battery and have simply recalibrated a switch (note: not replaced) that was not allowing the battery to recharge properly. Car is out of warranty in November and has a battery that is almost 4 years old and discharged to that sort of empty point. I call BMW NA and tell them about situation and they point me back at dealer. I talked to customer rep at dealer (maintenance shop gone until Monday of course) and they point me back at BMW NA. This seems to be becoming a trend with anything I have to have the dealer do on any BMW's I have owned lately. I know losing my and my family and friends (who I all brought to BMW over the last 10 years) business will not even be a blip on BMW NA's radar but it is a sad state of affairs on some very expensive cars that I have come to love (I have ownnd E39 530i, E46 330Cic, E93 335i as well as the M3). Guess back to Ford Mustang BOSS 302. Service might not be any better, but at half the price who cares.
      02-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #61
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogrence View Post
Guess back to Ford Mustang BOSS 302. Service might not be any better, but at half the price who cares.
If its a better car then good idea...if not then its "cutting your nose off to spite your face".
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #62
REALESTBM
Never Riding Dirty
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3CP/ESS SC

Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
Just had this issue happen yesterday... my car is an 08 so its out of warranty.... The battery from the dealer is like £200

Hello Sir,

I noticed your G-Power Supercharge. I was considering the G-Power Clubsport ll for my 2011 M3 but I have decided to go with the ESS VT2 650.

My concerns that made me decide against the G-Power is:

1. The kick down deletion on the DCT
2. The air to air cooling instead of a intercooler.

I plan to get a assignment in Bahrain after I finish my tour here in Germany so I am thinking the intercooler might be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #63
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALESTBM View Post
Hello Sir,

I noticed your G-Power Supercharge. I was considering the G-Power Clubsport ll for my 2011 M3 but I have decided to go with the ESS VT2 650.

My concerns that made me decide against the G-Power is:

1. The kick down deletion on the DCT
2. The air to air cooling instead of a intercooler.

I plan to get a assignment in Bahrain after I finish my tour here in Germany so I am thinking the intercooler might be a better choice.

Hi...
Who told you they delete kickdown? Mine kicks down fine.
My car always keeps cool.. the engine temp stays the same as a normal M3.
Also... why did you ask me on this thread??

Last edited by Donbona; 02-13-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #64
NLMiami
///Menace 2 Society
Rep
Drives: 2009 Jerez E92

I had this issue a year ago. Dealer gave me the "
unfavorable driving profile" crap. I bought a new battery and their "BMW advanced charger." I plug the chrager in every few months, but the car would never take a charge. The red light would go on for a minute (charging), then switch to green, then shut off. Now I'm getting the increased discharge again. Gonna take it to the dealer and so help me god they give me the "unfavorable driving profile" crap again...stay tuned.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #65
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Battery discharge warning

I started getting this message last weekend. I don't keep a key in or near the car and it's 6 MT do can't be those issues. I also do > 12k miles / year so can't be lack of miles.

Last week I did have my car's right side sound cut out - so maybe something has gone amiss w/ the stereo, but bottom line it seems to me I've got a battery problem.

Guess I'll be shooting into BMW before I get stuck

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #66
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 6MT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
...I have not gotten the "abnormal discharge" message but I find that my M-Drive clock drifts by 4-5 minutes in a 24 hours. Is this a symptom of a battery dying?
I am pretty sure that this is not the correct forum for "abnormal discharge". You may want to try the webmd boards instead...
Appreciate 0