BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

11-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Hood Not Latching Correctly

Hey Guys,

Recently the hood on my '08 coupe has been failing to latch on the driver's side. Before this started a smooth shove from about 12" would result in a nice, "clack" with both sides secure.

The first time I noticed this, the gap between the front edge of the hood (on the driver's side) was greater than on the passenger side.
It took 3 attempts to get it to close properly.
It's at the point where I do not want to close it with any additional force.
Something is clearly out of adjustment / alignment.

I checked the latches for binding and found nothing wrong or obviously out of adjustment.
The loops on the hood (which secure into the lower latches) are loose by design i.e. they pivot slightly.
I tried adjusting the rubber bumper on the driver's side (which can be lowered or raised) with no improvement.

Out of curiousity I stopped by the local dealer and found an M3 on the showroom. The hood was not latched on the driver's side....
A salesman came over, looked at it, gave it a shove with his hand and walked off.

Short of taking the car into the dealer, which I'd prefer NOT to do, has anyone here had this problem?

Thanks.

AC
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
rwchrist
CMPULSV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine White

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I picked my 09 up in Munich and it had the same problem. They told me that I just needed to slam it a bit harder. Once I got it back to the states here, I had the local BMW shop adjust it. Seems to be fine now.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

I have this too on my car, I guess the hood is just so light that you need to give it a good push to close it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Light hood with hydraulic lifters means you need to close it by hand, not 'shoving' it. Put your hands right above the hinges, and it just needs a mild push on both sides simultaneously.

If it's misadjusted, it's a piece of cake to adjust it correctly yourself. The hinges on the hood are threaded (after you remove the plastic cap), just like all rubber stops. First check the hood closed to see where it needs to be adjusted (if at all). If hood closes hard, start by loosening the rubber stops first. If misaligned, go with the hinges next. And finally adjust the rubber stops back up if needed. Takes a few minutes. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I noticed this on my car... at about 90mph while passing a semi on I-80 heading into SLC for a wedding. TG we were able to pull over before the hood flipped up & over the car. One good drop & hold and we were on our way. When got into town we went straight to the Murray dealer and they told us it was a lubrication issue which causes the latch to stay open for longer than it should. So when you drop the hood, the latch stays open and your hood pops out of it... unless you hold the hood down for a few seconds which gives the latch the sweet time it apparently needs to close when it's "dry". Anyhow, they lubbed both latches and I haven't had an issue since. Don't know what they used since it was in one of the hoses, but good old WD40 would probably do the trick... GL!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
TG we were able to pull over before the hood flipped up & over the car.
. What do you think the middle latch (with yellow plastic) is for? Secondary hood latches have been used for decades.

By the way, lubing is nice but not necessary for proper closure. Your rubber bumps need to be screwed in a bit; they're not allowing the latch to properly catch. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
DIY Guides/ Discussions Section

Since this is in the DIY section, are we going to finally see a step by step DIY on how to properly close your hood?
      11-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
: By the way, lubing is nice but not necessary for proper closure. Your rubber bumps need to be screwed in a bit; they're not allowing the latch to properly catch. Good day.
I adjusted the driver's side rubber bump stop (by screwing it down) and the hood now latches fine. Thank you.

FWIW, the owner's manual states the following instructions regarding closing the hood:

"Close the hood from a height of approx. 20in/50cm with momentum..."

This is the method the salesman demonstrated when I bought the car.

The bump stop was preventing complete engagement of the latch despite more than adequate momentum.

AC
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv

Garage List
Funny, I just hate slamming the hood of a car like this. Our 911 positioned the hood pin right below the emblem so that you don't even smudge the paint when closing the hood. Just lower it down, place your palm on the emblem, and lightly press until you hear a click.

THAT should be the standard for closing hoods on highline vehicles. I have had my M3 hood adjusted so that one hand over each hood latch is all it takes to lock down the hood. No slamming, dropping or anything so drastic.

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

ive had a hood come up on me on the freeway. not fun.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Beem_mup
Old-ish Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

just bought a new (New old stock) 2011 e90 M3. I am positive it was closed properly when I left the dealer. 100 miles later when I got home noticed the drivers side was not latched down. tried a few times to push down but would not latch.

Next day I opened and closed it with success. I will try the procedures mentioned here. Thanks for the suggestions.

This is the kind of thing you have to take into your own hands to avoid frustration and wasted time with dealers. However I will make them look into it when I take it in after the break-in.
      12-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Beem_mup
Old-ish Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Just curious...is everyone's issue with the drivers side only or does it, pop-up (sorry) on the passenger side as well?
      01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beem_mup View Post
Just curious...is everyone's issue with the drivers side only or does it, pop-up (sorry) on the passenger side as well?

Mine does it on the passenger side only. PITA. Latch spring is to tight. Have lubed it, etc. I just have too do a secondary push down to close it.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I never noticed this myself until this thread. What do you know. My drivers side doesn't always latch.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black/black E93 M

Ditto. Driver's side only. Has had to slam my hood really hard for it to shut. Will try the rubber stopper fix tomorrow. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
kmbroder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

M3 E92

Just wanted to provide some helpful input. Had a similar issue with my 2013 E92. The hood wasn't closing properly and the hood on the drive's side was a bit lower than the driver's side quarter panel.

Brought it into the dealer. They made adjustments to the rubber stoppers on both sides and gave me some great advice on how to close the hoods on M3's.

Since the hood is aluminum, it is very light and basically, it must be forcefully closed from about half way. This is counterintuitive as my 2007 335i, you would simply let the hood drop. This is simply how the M3 was designed by BMW.

The dealer advised if you don't close the M3's hood this way, you're going to have problems with the hood not latching correctly.

Ken B.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Instead of slamming it down, or dropping it from 20/23/25 inches with 10lbs of force and whatever other methods the dealers tell you, just adjust it yourself correctly and press down on the hood at the location of the latches.

Both my 535 and M3 came with the latches and rubber stoppers not adjusted perfectly so one side would latch while the other wouldn't unless I pressed down afterwords with decent amount of weight.

So instead of dropping and slamming the hood, do as others have already suggested: adjust both the metal latches and rubber stoppers until you are satisfied with the way it closes by just applying some pressure on it after the center latch catches. Yes, it's a trial and error process and takes some time to get it right, but it's not rocket science and you'll have a peace of mind if you have an OCD for such things... as I do.

I can post a video if people still can't find this in the manual or understand how to do it just by looking at the latches themselves.