BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
1984M3
Rep
Drives: aw e92 m3

Differential plugs torque specs

Anyone know the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on the differential?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31984 View Post
Anyone know the torque specs for the drain and fill plugs on the differential?
I always tighten them by hand, but remember seeing those specs somewhere on this board. Did you try searching for that? Anyway, factory torque values are always too high IMO. Besides, those plugs have built-in gaskets, so torquing them more doesn't make a difference. You'll need a 14mm allen socket, by the way.

And remember to always loosen up the fill plug first so you don't disable your car in case you can't remove it (and you already drained the fluid). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
1984M3
Rep
Drives: aw e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I always tighten them by hand, but remember seeing those specs somewhere on this board. Did you try searching for that? Anyway, factory torque values are always too high IMO. Besides, those plugs have built-in gaskets, so torquing them more doesn't make a difference. You'll need a 14mm allen socket, by the way.

And remember to always loosen up the fill plug first so you don't disable your car in case you can't remove it (and you already drained the fluid). Good luck.
I saw your thread where you changed your tranny/diff fluid with alternate fluids. I could not find the torque specs in yours or any other thread. I saw on another forum the specs for an e46 m3 diff rated at 60nm for rubber gaskets and 65nm for crush washers. I know we have the green built in rubber gaskets so I thought about going with 60nm but wanted to check here to see if it was different for our cars. I went out and got the 14mm socket recently so I believe ilve got everything I need for it.

Side note: Elp, you give really thorough and good advice. Thanks for all you contribute to this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m31984 View Post
I saw on another forum the specs for an e46 m3 diff rated at 60nm for rubber gaskets and 65nm for crush washers
Damn, that's super high for a drain plug IMO. Now I remember having to lift the darn car to break the plugs loose, so those torque numbers might be right. If you're not familiar hand-torquing drain bolts (I've been doing it for decades, and never an issue), I suggest you use the factory torque specs. I also tried the search function to help you out, but it SUCKS on this site; couldn't find anything. You might want to specifically ask for that on a new thread, with the added benefit future members can easily find it ('Need torque value for differential fill and drain bolts', or something like that). Good luck buddy.
Appreciate 0