BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Tune skeptic proved wrong (ESS)

Ok So I am often a tune skeptic in terms of real-world performance. However I did see a few videos this past week of a tuned w/ cattless/HFC and drop-ins, really pulling several cars ahead in straight line races with stock M3's. Who knows the conditions but that was enough for me to give it a whirl. The 1k was a drop in the bucket to put my own mind at rest that there was actually something there to be had.

So pure performance numbers I still think really lack on these forums. With the number of tunes and such I really wish more objective date would be put up aside from dyno's so I cannot unfortunately contribute to this objective data.

So loaded ESS, 94 octane, HFC/xpipe and green filter. Really loved my car before and had no complaints in anything so really wasn't looking for anything particular but within 10 mins of driving the car, Ill be damned that I undoubtedly felt a really noticable difference in power up to redline. I didn't want to admit it so but over the past few days I can confirm the tune is absolutely noticable.

I may have been jaded by past 3 litre (non turbo) bmw's I would get a tune for and feel nothing. Not the case here probably because we have more engine to work with.

I DEFINETLY do not think a tune turns the car into "a totally different animal" that some say. That is just hogwash honestly. It does turn it into a little bit more aggressive beast in all the good ways and I finally understood what people mean when it should have come from the factory this way.

So while its not mind blowing, its enjoyable and noticable enough to really enjoy the heck out of it and I would definetly do it over again. I would have done evolve, ESS or benvo-I don't think you can go wrong with those three from my research.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Ok So I am often a tune skeptic in terms of real-world performance. However I did see a few videos this past week of a tuned w/ cattless/HFC and drop-ins, really pulling several cars ahead in straight line races with stock M3's. Who knows the conditions but that was enough for me to give it a whirl. The 1k was a drop in the bucket to put my own mind at rest that there was actually something there to be had.

So pure performance numbers I still think really lack on these forums. With the number of tunes and such I really wish more objective date would be put up aside from dyno's so I cannot unfortunately contribute to this objective data.

So loaded ESS, 94 octane, HFC/xpipe and green filter. Really loved my car before and had no complaints in anything so really wasn't looking for anything particular but within 10 mins of driving the car, Ill be damned that I undoubtedly felt a really noticable difference in power up to redline. I didn't want to admit it so but over the past few days I can confirm the tune is absolutely noticable.

I may have been jaded by past 3 litre (non turbo) bmw's I would get a tune for and feel nothing. Not the case here probably because we have more engine to work with.

I DEFINETLY do not think a tune turns the car into "a totally different animal" that some say. That is just hogwash honestly. It does turn it into a little bit more aggressive beast in all the good ways and I finally understood what people mean when it should have come from the factory this way.

So while its not mind blowing, its enjoyable and noticable enough to really enjoy the heck out of it and I would definetly do it over again. I would have done evolve, ESS or benvo-I don't think you can go wrong with those three from my research.
Whichever tuner you choose, please get a baseline and after dyno to verify results.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I had th ESS tune installed on one of my past cars as well and it def was worth it IMO. It not only was faster but for me the shifts seem to be a lot crisper and the car in general just drove smoother.

I am planning the same set up on my new M also.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
My car feels like a completely different animal before and after tune. On a stock car the difference isn't gigantic, although very noticable - but on a Catless / HFC car it's a huge difference.

Glad to see you are enjoying it.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

The more I drive, the more I really am realizing just what a tune with a catless setup and intake/drop in can do. I would have to say the e90 m3 does not feel completely raw in stock form. Actually feels very capable but refined. Catless and drop-in created a lot of raw sounds from the car which I absolutely loved.

But with a tune I now would call my car an animal! So its not a totally different car but it seemed to take it from a refined car to a raw animal. I get the butt dyno can be way off, but there is a certain level where it is crystal clear that it is more than placebo. I noticed tonight when gunning it in 1-3 at redline, the amount the car "squats" was noticable more aggressive and the front "pulled" up more noticably than before. The push back was noticable and everything about the experience was actually quite different than stock.

In short I feel it added a rawness to the car that was not there. Love it. I will be the first to say I eat my own words of doubt!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
The more I drive, the more I really am realizing just what a tune with a catless setup and intake/drop in can do. I would have to say the e90 m3 does not feel completely raw in stock form. Actually feels very capable but refined. Catless and drop-in created a lot of raw sounds from the car which I absolutely loved.

But with a tune I now would call my car an animal! So its not a totally different car but it seemed to take it from a refined car to a raw animal. I get the butt dyno can be way off, but there is a certain level where it is crystal clear that it is more than placebo. I noticed tonight when gunning it in 1-3 at redline, the amount the car "squats" was noticable more aggressive and the front "pulled" up more noticably than before. The push back was noticable and everything about the experience was actually quite different than stock.

In short I feel it added a rawness to the car that was not there. Love it. I will be the first to say I eat my own words of doubt!
High flow / catless exhaust and tune does turn the car into a different machine. It does have a more raw feel that I believe the car was intended to have. Im glad you are happy with the car now
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

MUuuuunit (said like 50cent), glad you're enjoying it, I know you were reading up. I was skeptical too about the 20hp on 400hp...but you it's definitely too much change to be placebo. Like you say, it's a bit more push back...and on sport+ it's got pretty strong response even down low =)
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
JBiddy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M

Deff a good mod! After I tuned it/primary cat deleted it, I fell deeper in love with the car
      01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
dead ringer
09 M3 E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 E90 - DCT

Had pipes & ESS tune today

... Definitely more power, lost traction a few times today testing it out where I normally don't
Appreciate 0