BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
ohjay
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

E93 M3 roof problems

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm a rookie here so please be gentle.

I'm having continuing issues with the roof on my M3.

Had my car for 2 years now and for the first 12 months, no problems with it at all until last summer when the roof started acting up. It has been into BMW 5 times in all, the 5th time they gave me their brand new demo M4 for 2 weeks as a courtesy for the all the times I'd had to bring it in.

In the end I'm told it had a whole new wiring loom and a couple sensors were sorted in the roof and finally after 2 months of back and forth and head scratching it worked and hasn't given me problems since...until now.

Anyone who's got a convertible E93 will know the stages it goes through but for those who don't, the windows go down but not quite all the way, the roof does it's very impressive origami bit, the boot tilts back, roofs settles in, boot comes down and locks and the windows go up, the end.

Mine gets to the bit where the boot comes down and it sounds like it locks but then I get an error on the dash saying roof malfunction. Now if I'm not in a rush or can be bothered, lifting and dropping the boot again from anything between 1 and 20 times eventually will solve it and I know when it's going to play ball because there's a loud clunk and the windows go up.

I don't know what's causing the this clunk or why it has an effect on it completing the cycle. My only possiblity so far is that there are 2 spring loaded blocks in the boot that I assume the roof rests onto and the one on the drivers side isn't as smooth as the passenger but that's all I can see so far.

The only constant I have come up with for when it does it more than not is when it's hot but that could be coincidence.

I'm reluctant to take it back to BMW because based on last time's performance, I don't believe they have a clue what's causing and due to it being pot luck when it does and doesn't do it, no doubt I'll drive it over there and it won't fail.

On top of that, because I'm now on an extended warranty, it's going to cost me for them to even look at it and for them to just head scratch at it, I'm obviously not that keen.

SO I'm coming to the people who know these cars best hat in hadn as a newbie! I need help!!!

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Are you sure that there's nothing on the sides, where it says not to put anything there?

When I first got mine, I would always keep the drivers manual on the ledge on the side of the trunk (cause, it looks like it was made to sit there)....Even the minute thickness of the driver's manual throws the roof's folding function. As you said, it would cycle and seem to lock down, but the iDrive would throw an error. All space where the roof folds down and into must be clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Are you sure that there's nothing on the sides, where it says not to put anything there?

When I first got mine, I would always keep the drivers manual on the ledge on the side of the trunk (cause, it looks like it was made to sit there)....Even the minute thickness of the driver's manual throws the roof's folding function. As you said, it would cycle and seem to lock down, but the iDrive would throw an error. All space where the roof folds down and into must be clear.
This threw me when i first got mine as well. Since you have had the car for a while, I would assume you know this, but that's a good place to start.

Aside from that, I have no idea. Could be a faulty sensor??
      07-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
davewerner
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93

Just last week I began having a weird issue with mine as well, but mine is in reverse. when i put the top up, it goes all the way up and latches at the front, but the rear latches don't click in and that doesn't allow the windows to go up. If i let up on the top switch, then pull it up again it will complete its function, but i can't being afraid it's going to get stuck and leave me stranded one day soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
M3GarageKing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93#DTC Lexus IS350 Fsport DD

I had a similar problem, on the roof shell lock there is a small little plastic guide in there, mine was broken so i took it out and fix it. The plastic guide is the guide the two roof to lock every time, without it our roof cannot lock properly.

Make sure you lubricate all your parts, I followed the step here and i am pretty happy with it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609222
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #6
ohjay
United Kingdom
Rep

That's always my first check that there's nothing in the spaces either side just in case I've forgotten it just that once but I never have. I'm the same, it's manual sized and on both my 335's that was where the manual lived but I've had to stop that.

I thought it might have been the tray not sitting down properly but I've checked and double checked that there's nothing stopping it even he tiniest thing but can't find anything that suggests it's sitting up at all.

That guide is incredibly helpful, can't thank you enough for that. I'll have a good read of that but what you've suggested could well be in. I don't think it's ever been looked after to the extent that I look after it. Even now I find little pockets of muck and gunk under seals that have never ever been cleaned out. After picking it up 2 years ago, first thing I did was give it a thorough wash over. BMW said they have done a hand over clean but it may as well have been done by a blind person the amount of stuff they'd missed. The gutters where the hinges fall into on the middle piece for instance were full of water and gunk and even a small twig!

I'll keep searching to find out where the clunk is coming from but it's the sort of problem that unless you built or designed the roof mechanism and know it in and out, it could take me ages!

Anyone else had a similar problem???
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
M3GarageKing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93#DTC Lexus IS350 Fsport DD

keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

The dreaded hardtop error...it's like the blue screen of death but worse by 10x.
Good luck OP. Keep us posted on finding the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
ohjay
United Kingdom
Rep

Haven't had an opportuniyt to have a proper look through that maintenance guide yet (work dictates time as per).

It bought up the error message again yesterday so I lifted the roof back up and gave both the sprung loaded blocks (that are my current suspect) that sit on the left and right of the boot/trunk floor a pump up and down, pulled the switch again and it settled back in, lid came down and the magic clunk happened and it shut.

Still can't confirm if that's what's causing it but it's my number 1 culprit right now!

I also noticed that the 2 holes in the boot that I believe accept the pins that attach the front section to the windscreen both have a very very sticky covering on them, if anyone fancies checking to see if theirs are like that too to see if it's normal, I'd appreciate it.

I'll keep trying different things and update again soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #10
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Try driving over rough roads with top up and windows down. Do you hear a rattle? If so roof needs alignment. i have had this issue with two of my 3 E93 verts. Look at the black guide strings, do you see any white? If so the covers are coming off. Fixing roof problems are an issue, I had the passenger side flap failure in the shop three times.

Since this is an ongoing problem, it should be repaired as part of the original warranty not the extended warranty.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #11
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

What MY is yours? I hear the bkack guide strings were replaced with a stronger material in later model years and dont fray as easily as earlier models (pre 2011.5?)
Also the guide pins for the front windscreen on mine dint have a sticky residue, but if its lubricant, thats a good thing. Ive heard other forum members have issues because the guide pins get worn down and then top gets stuck in the up position.
So always stay lubricated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
ohjay
United Kingdom
Rep

mjposner there is a rattle but I've always assumed that was the tray because it differs in sound whether it's up or down. I've never noticed any rattle that soudned like it was coming from the roof itself but I'll give it a go this afternoon.

That was exactly my thought on it being under original warranty especially as it's something they've tried to fix befreo btu clearly haven't. Sadly in the UK, unless it's brand new or an obvious fault, you really have to fight your corner with it and go in with all the answers or they'll try and talk you into giving them money for something.

digitalpersona it's a 58 plate so latter end of 2008 so it has some of the early updates as far as I understand but certainly not whatever was done in 2011. Absolutely with the lubrication. If it was greased up, I'd understand it but this is almost glue like stickiness, can't see how it would lubricate anything but I could be wrong, I don't know what they use.
Appreciate 0