BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Question Removing left rear wheel..

So i have a 3 ton floor jack by Husky...and a couple jack stands, but what im wondering is will it be SAFE to just lift the left rear of the car by the floor jack and remove the left rear tire? or should i use a jack stand also and where would i put the jack stand if the floor jack is already lifting at the lift point? this is for an oem alarm install by the way
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

anyone? i juss wanna do this as quick as possible without jacking up the entire rear of the car..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

For just one wheel and without having to get under the car, I jack the car up from the jack location and just lower the car to its proper stance after removing wheel (I don't like leaving it all twisted), do the work needed, then raise car again and reinstall wheel.

Having said that, if you need to keep the car lifted for a longer period of time just raise it from the differential and put the rear on jack stands. I prefer to use the subframe 'elbows' for the jack stands but you need jack stands with round pads to be safe. Othewise use the jacking pads in front of the wheels but put rags or something or you'd break them with the typical angled surface of most jack stands. Oh, and you'd need a wood shim (a piece of 4x4) or something to be able to lift the car that high. And no, I don't like doing that. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
For just one wheel and without having to get under the car, I jack the car up from the jack location and just lower the car to its proper stance after removing wheel (I don't like leaving it all twisted), do the work needed, then raise car again and reinstall wheel.

Having said that, if you need to keep the car lifted for a longer period of time just raise it from the differential and put the rear on jack stands. I prefer to use the subframe 'elbows' for the jack stands but you need jack stands with round pads to be safe. Othewise use the jacking pads in front of the wheels but put rags or something or you'd break them with the typical angled surface of most jack stands. Oh, and you'd need a wood shim (a piece of 4x4) or something to be able to lift the car that high. And no, I don't like doing that. Good luck.

when you say you lower the car to its proper stance do you leave it on the jack? or do add a jack stand?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I prefer to use the subframe 'elbows' for the jack stands but you need jack stands with round pads to be safe.
Agree, jackstands are not all equal, most are made to rest on old school frame rails. Get jackstands with generous pads on top, like these.

In a pinch, slide the wheel you just removed under the car, if something slips it'll keep the car off the ground and off of you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
So i have a 3 ton floor jack by Husky...and a couple jack stands, but what im wondering is will it be SAFE to just lift the left rear of the car by the floor jack and remove the left rear tire? or should i use a jack stand also and where would i put the jack stand if the floor jack is already lifting at the lift point? this is for an oem alarm install by the way
Lift the car at the jack point inboard of the sill. Use a pad or block on you jack (ore get the special adapter that fits the lift point). Jacks stands are always a good idea, as a hydraulic jack can suffer a catastrophic failure and fall. I would use the pivor pint for the rear trailing arms, which is reinforced. You don't have to rest the weight of the car on the stand, just keep it under there for safety should it fall.

This pic show the front on jack stands, but you get the idea.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Agree, jackstands are not all equal, most are made to rest on old school frame rails. Get jackstands with generous pads on top, like these.

In a pinch, slide the wheel you just removed under the car, if something slips it'll keep the car off the ground and off of you.
so keep the jack in place on the jacking point, where should i put the wheel? further under the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
wow 23,000 posts
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so keep the jack in place on the jacking point, where should i put the wheel? further under the car?
If you've got jacks stands, might as well use them.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

If I am simply swapping wheels, I leave the car on the jack and slide the wheel that I just took off under the side of the chassis (not all the way under the car as it can simply push through the floor pan depending on where you put it exactly) before I mount the other wheel. I guess there is a tiny chance the jack might fail during the 30 seconds that it takes me to remove and slide the wheel under the car, but I think that is highly unlikely if you have a good jack that is in proper condition. If I plan to work on the car for an extended period, I put it on jack stands (and still slide the wheels under the sides of the chassis).
      12-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
when you say you lower the car to its proper stance do you leave it on the jack? or do add a jack stand?
Just on the lowered jack, making the car look level, with the brake rotor a few inches from the ground (don't like leaving the chassis twisted any more than needed, but that's just me), with a piece of 4x4 under the jack's 'arm'. As others and I said, if you're going to leave the car lifted for hours, put it on jack stands.
I've left it for an hour, and 'arm' was still the same 2 millimeters or so from the wood block. When I work on a wheel, I always check everything around the area, clean the fender well, and clean the inside of the wheel. Since I don't get under any car component, that works for me. If I'm going to put even a finger under the car, it goes on jack stands. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post

may I ask what kind/brand of jackstand is that?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartanium View Post
may I ask what kind/brand of jackstand is that?
Looks like this one: http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/p...oducts_id=3443. That price at Ultimate Garage is $20 less than most places (yes, you can find cheaper ones elsewhere, but these are the highest quality). This is good when you have the stand as a primary support. For just backup safety use, I prefer the ratcheting type as it is much easier to set and release.
Attached Images

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-30-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

finished! the hardest part id say was putting back in the wheel well liner...the alarm was $245 at tischerbmw...but overall prety easy to do yourself takes time but IMO better than spending 500+ at the dealership
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Thanks Greg for the details, I am looking for this style of stands because they do not cut into my coated garage floor.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Crydaddy
pin up model
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Greg, what brand ramps are you using. I have rhino ones but it always feel like its gonna give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Lift the car at the jack point inboard of the sill. Use a pad or block on you jack (ore get the special adapter that fits the lift point). Jacks stands are always a good idea, as a hydraulic jack can suffer a catastrophic failure and fall. I would use the pivor pint for the rear trailing arms, which is reinforced. You don't have to rest the weight of the car on the stand, just keep it under there for safety should it fall.

This pic show the front on jack stands, but you get the idea.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Service ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crydaddy View Post
Greg, what brand ramps are you using. I have rhino ones but it always feel like its gonna give.
Mine are old school steel ones (with plastic slope extensionss) I got through Griot's Garage. The are "Ultra Ramp 6500" with UR2000 extender.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
snook
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90m3, 2500hd, 95ltw

jack that thing up....leave the jack there....its not gonna hurt anything.