BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Why can't BMW offer more options as standard, look at the 08 Altima coupe!

Drove past a Nissan dealer last night and caught a glimpse of the 2008 Altima Coupe (a.k.a Poor mans G35). Reading more about it online I was rather set back by standard options on the V6 model for $31,398 (CDN).

- 3.5-liter VQ V6 rated at 270 horsepower and 258 ft-lbs. of torque
- sport suspension
- blue tooth / hands-free phone / satellite radio
- leather
- and a few others I don't recall off-hand.

With a higher base price on the 335i ($51,300 CDN), why can't BMW offer more options as standard equipment?!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

because demand is already so high. There is a reason why they are one of the most profitable companies. They make good cars, but they are also marketing geniuses.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Because BMW builds them using far superior components, they are built to last, and are engineered for drivers, not for masses looking for transportation. yes the BMW is a mass produced vehicle, but a well engineered and thought out vehicle.

Besides, if BMW through more stuff at the 3 series as standard many folks that are stretching to afford the more simply equipped BMWs would be kept away.

I'd say go drive one, then come back and tell us if the 08 Altima is an equivalent driving experience for far less money.
      07-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Because BMW builds them using far superior components, they are built to last...
since when was a bmw built to last options/component-wise.
      07-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Go drive an Altima. Then you'll know why.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

all that matters in the BMW is the steering wheel, wheels, seats, engine and tranny.
The rest is crap...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
all that matters in the BMW is the steering wheel, wheels, seats, engine and tranny.
The rest is crap...
Couldn't afford any extras, eh?

I can't afford to live in Trump Tower either, but I have to still admit that it's a nice building.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

A la carte ordering has it's advantages too. You don't have to buy options you don't want.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
I was gonna say the same. BMW are best for leased vehicles, but for long-term quality Nissan is superior along with Infiniti
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
Umm.... since the beginning, OEM Springs, Shocks, Suspension arms, trailing arms, Drivetrain, structural rigidity, rattle free, I can go on and on with the hundreds of ways that BMW builds their cars with more than 3yr/36K miles in mind. Drive a 5 year old altima and ANY 5 year old BMW and you'll see.

Not being a Fanboy, there is a difference in construction methods and philosophy.
      07-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85 View Post
I was gonna say the same. BMW are best for leased vehicles, but for long-term quality Nissan is superior along with Infiniti
I cannot argue with Infiniti's long trouble free life... But the wife's car while stone reliable has never felt the way the BMW does going down the road, this is WHY you buy a BMW, for the drive.

Saying that Nissan/infiniti's long term quality is superior though makes no sense. What you are speaking of is durability and no where have I read that BMWs wear poorly. Quite the opposite in fact.
      07-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Umm.... since the beginning, OEM Springs, Shocks, Suspension arms, trailing arms, Drivetrain, structural rigidity, rattle free, I can go on and on with the hundreds of ways that BMW builds their cars with more than 3yr/36K miles in mind. Drive a 5 year old altima and ANY 5 year old BMW and you'll see.

Not being a Fanboy, there is a difference in construction methods and philosophy.
Ummm, I'm not sure about that. Take a 8 year old Accord and compare it to a 8 year old 3 series. Which one will will have more repairs, etc?

If you're point is to say that BMW makes some great cars; then you're speaking to the choir. We all like BMWs. But to say that they have the extremely reliable cars and that they are not overpriced is IMO rediculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Because BMW builds them using far superior components, they are built to last, and are engineered for drivers, not for masses looking for transportation. yes the BMW is a mass produced vehicle, but a well engineered and thought out vehicle.

Besides, if BMW through more stuff at the 3 series as standard many folks that are stretching to afford the more simply equipped BMWs would be kept away.

I'd say go drive one, then come back and tell us if the 08 Altima is an equivalent driving experience for far less money.
I am in no way shape or form saying the driving experience is equivalent. I'm simply questioning the standard "bells and whistles".
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
I am in no way shape or form saying the driving experience is equivalent. I'm simply questioning the standard "bells and whistles".
I think that is understood. The consensus of responses is that BMW puts the money into over-engineering the overall quality of the car. Most standard features of BMW are things that go forgotten or unnoticed, such as the great breaking system (including auto-drying brakes and brake panic mode), the marvelous suspension, weight balance, etc. Overall fit and finish is very very good... these all cost money to develop and manufacture. For those who want more bells and whistles, they are available as options.

It is also clear to see that there is a contingient of "just give me a steering wheel" owners. Some of these folks would actually see tons of free bells and whistles as a negative, not a plus.

Bottom line - you can't please everyone.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:35 PM   #15
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I think that is understood. The consensus of responses is that BMW puts the money into over-engineering the overall quality of the car. Most standard features of BMW are things that go forgotten or unnoticed, such as the great breaking system (including auto-drying brakes and brake panic mode), the marvelous suspension, weight balance, etc. Overall fit and finish is very very good... these all cost money to develop and manufacture. For those who want more bells and whistles, they are available as options.

It is also clear to see that there is a contingient of "just give me a steering wheel" owners. Some of these folks would actually see tons of free bells and whistles as a negative, not a plus.

Bottom line - you can't please everyone.
Well put. Screw it.... cancel my 08 335i order, I'm buying a Vespa.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well put. Screw it.... cancel my 08 335i order, I'm buying a Vespa.
Nah, keep the bimmer order. You'll be glad you did!

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
Ray
Rep
Drives: three series

Consumers will fear the sticker shock.

Many companies (not mentioning any specific brands) will add accessories to make up for short comings. Market leaders and innovators (cost of R&D) will incur more cost than market followers (copying used technology)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Couldn't afford any extras, eh?

I can't afford to live in Trump Tower either, but I have to still admit that it's a nice building.
I think that depends on which Trump Tower you are referring to.
      07-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

instead of thinking what you can live with... why don't you think about what you can live without to make your car lighter and faster
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
fer360
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i

Quote:
Drove past a Nissan dealer last night and caught a glimpse of the 2008 Altima Coupe (a.k.a Poor mans G35). Reading more about it online I was rather set back by standard options on the V6 model for $31,398 (CDN).

- 3.5-liter VQ V6 rated at 270 horsepower and 258 ft-lbs. of torque
- sport suspension
- blue tooth / hands-free phone / satellite radio
- leather
- and a few others I don't recall off-hand.

With a higher base price on the 335i ($51,300 CDN), why can't BMW offer more options as standard equipment?!
I would rather see a $25,000 Altima and not have have to pay for all those standard features I don't want.

IMHO, If those items listed were optional, then the Altima would steal sales from the cheaper Nisan models.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Ummm, I'm not sure about that. Take a 8 year old Accord and compare it to a 8 year old 3 series. Which one will will have more repairs, etc?

If you're point is to say that BMW makes some great cars; then you're speaking to the choir. We all like BMWs. But to say that they have the extremely reliable cars and that they are not overpriced is IMO rediculous.
Over priced? I don't think so... Maybe you spent too much for you, but when you get behind the wheel, I know where BMW has spent their money. It's up to each of us and the market to determine if a car is overpriced. Based on the demand, the driving performance, and feel I'd say the car is priced perfectly. Sure I'd love it to cost $10k less, but I feel I am getting my monies worth and more every time I hit a long winding road...

The Japanese have been trying for decades to copy the performance and feel of the BMWs. They can work out the performance to a point, but they still have no clue about "FEEL". About communicating to the driver what is going on nor have they worked out ergonomics that are correct. This is where the money goes, I can feel each tire individually, and it's worth every penny.

As for long term durability, BMWs may not have the near 100% trouble free that some of the Japanese vehicles have, but long term the BMW is going to be a MUCH MUCH tighter, rattle/shimmy free car, still handling better, and still looking fresher. What I am talking about is the car itself will be tighter and still feel better going down the road than a comparable Japanese car. The BMW may have more odd little niggles and such, but will remain a tighter more rewarding car to drive and own. Or you can simply commute in a Camry reveling in it's AMAZING lack of problems...

I'm distracted, maybe I am not making sense I dunno, they seem to want me to do work today... bastards...
      07-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #22
SunnyvaleCA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 C43 AMG

RWD "option"

The rear-wheel-drive option for the Altima costs something like $5000 (Infinity G37); that's a standard feature on the BMW.

The Altima's "sport suspension" doesn't come with staggered wheels or other BMW goodies. In fact, their sport suspension isn't really any more sporty than the standard BMW one.
Appreciate 0