BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What should I do?

So my parents own an apartment that we rent out. its the bottom floor unit of a stacked unit. Recently the bathroom roof started leaking. its not a constant leak, but more like a spontaneous leak every once in a while (sometimes while it rains, sometimes not). and as a result, the roof has a fatty hole in it and the wall papers started to get puffy slowly.

I talked to the upstairs people about it (they own and live in it). They said its because of the rain recently and we probably have a leaky drain pipe in the building so not their fault. However they been remodeling for the past 2 months and I really think its their new plumbing that wasn't hooked tight enough.

what to do?

Is there a company that will come out and look at the situation, determine fault and bill the approiate party for repairs? or is it more like if we call them out, we will get the bill no matter our fault or not, and its my responsibility to collect from my neighbor.

I can already smell small claims court in the not so far future.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
So my parents own an apartment that we rent out. its the bottom floor unit of a stacked unit. Recently the bathroom roof started leaking. its not a constant leak, but more like a spontaneous leak every once in a while (sometimes while it rains, sometimes not). and as a result, the roof has a fatty hole in it and the wall papers started to get puffy slowly.

I talked to the upstairs people about it (they own and live in it). They said its because of the rain recently and we probably have a leaky drain pipe in the building so not their fault. However they been remodeling for the past 2 months and I really think its their new plumbing that wasn't hooked tight enough.

what to do?

Is there a company that will come out and look at the situation, determine fault and bill the approiate party for repairs? or is it more like if we call them out, we will get the bill no matter our fault or not, and its my responsibility to collect from my neighbor.

I can already smell small claims court in the not so far future.
Call a Home repair contractor, ask him to make an estimate. sounds like the people upstairs had a little error when they were doing there install and dont want to admit to it
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Tell them that you are going to get someone to come out and determine where the leak is coming from. If it's coming from their remodel, you will charge them for inspection. Ask them if they think that is fair.
The only logical thing they can do is agree to that. If they say "no", then they are probably not so sure about the remodel because they may have to foot their bill. If they are certain they are not th cause they will say "yes".

Before you do this, draw up a contract and have them sign it.

Does it only leak when it rains or does it not matter whether or not it rains?
Gary
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Insurance adjuster.
Repair company could appear one sided and you may end up in small claims.
      02-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Is there a company that runs the building as a whole? Like an association or something like that. Try to go through them if you have one.

If not I'd prolly call my insurance for that unit and see what they suggest. Maybe also contact a lawyer.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Tell them that you are going to get someone to come out and determine where the leak is coming from. If it's coming from their remodel, you will charge them for inspection. Ask them if they think that is fair.
The only logical thing they can do is agree to that. If they say "no", then they are probably not so sure about the remodel because they may have to foot their bill. If they are certain they are not th cause they will say "yes".

Before you do this, draw up a contract and have them sign it.

Does it only leak when it rains or does it not matter whether or not it rains?
Gary
The contract sounds like a good idea. Something along the line of "we both agree to call a mutual party (maybe rescue rooter) and which ever party to be determined at fault will foot the entire bill for inspection and repair"

The 1st time it leaked, it was raining outside. then here on out, it leaks randomly (sometims rain, sometimes shine) like about 2-3 times a month for a good amount about 1-2 mins then it stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Insurance adjuster.
Repair company could appear one sided and you may end up in small claims.
I thought about that, but I think we have a company that always fix plumbing in that complex, so maybe I can call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Is there a company that runs the building as a whole? Like an association or something like that. Try to go through them if you have one.

If not I'd prolly call my insurance for that unit and see what they suggest. Maybe also contact a lawyer.
There is a HOA for the complex, but the neighbor above me is also the president of the HOA so... iono man.

I need to ask my mom if we have insurance...even if we do, im pretty sure it only covers fire...my mom is pretty cheap.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
There is a HOA for the complex, but the neighbor above me is also the president of the HOA so... iono man.

I need to ask my mom if we have insurance...even if we do, im pretty sure it only covers fire...my mom is pretty cheap.
That's kinda BS. Is there a board of owners? Maybe bring it to the VP's attention since the President of the association would obviously have a biased opinion.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0