BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

02-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Then why are you complaining that Apple updates the iPhone every year? Apple updates their MBP at least once a year, Mac Pro, iMac, etc. You would be happy if the iPhone was left pretty much alone since 2008 with slower 3G, a 400 Mhz CPU, and 128 MB of ram? You wouldn't want Apple to update the hardware?
I'm not, I'm just stating. They can make minimal changes to the hardware and instead of creating a new frame focus their changes on the software. Why would I want the iPhone to stay the same? That would make absolutely NO sense, and I never said that. They could also place more attention on the problems the hardware may bring instead of rushing to put out a new one; especially with their antennae problem they have now. The phone is beautiful. All I'm saying is that most people are not even getting around to purchasing the "current" model/getting accustomed to the one they have before rumors of a new one surface. And in turn, complaints also surface due to it being under such scrutiny in the first place. Which is why it doesn't make sense [to me] to release them so frequently. But just my $0.02.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
He makes some good points. Doesn't come off like a complete fanboi.
If I was a complete fanboi, I would be taking up issues of people don't like that both sides are made of glass, etc making idiotic statements about how their personal tastes.

Although I do find it funny that a person is suing Apple because he considers dropping his phone "normal usage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
I'm not, I'm just stating. They can make minimal changes to the hardware and instead of creating a new frame focus their changes on the software. Why would I want the iPhone to stay the same? That would make absolutely NO sense, and I never said that. They could also place more attention on the problems the hardware may bring instead of rushing to put out a new one; especially with their antennae problem they have now. The phone is beautiful. All I'm saying is that most people are not even getting around to purchasing the "current" model/getting accustomed to the one they have before rumors of a new one surface. And in turn, complaints also surface due to it being under such scrutiny in the first place. Which is why it doesn't make sense [to me] to release them so frequently. But just my $0.02.
Ah ok. Although I wouldn't want the iPhone design to be the same especially since I wasn't a big fan of the 3G/S plastic back design. I love the 4's form factor including the front and back being glass and the stainless steel band.

Although I do not really know why people like to focus on the "antenna" issue. I know I am sounding like a fanboi here, but other phones have demonstrated a signal drop when you cover the antenna. You can argue that Apple put the antenna in a location where it is easy to cover it, but it isn't exclusive to Apple or a problem per se. Hell, people were mentioning the same issue when the 3GS came out, but it never did gain traction. Guess Apple shouldn't have put so much focus on their antenna design.

Last edited by quagmire; 02-10-2011 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #25
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Oh, and can someone please tell them to have a non 3rd-party insurance policy?

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Until those idiots make a phone that isn't made out of glass, doesn't fuck up when you let someone with "bad skin" use it, and a removable battery, then I don't care. Unlimited data is nice, but damn.

Oh, and how about not releasing a new model every year?
I get your other points but not the last one..

Since when are we complaining about new technology??
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

I got mine the other day after pre-ordering it. It's my first smartphone. The resolution is ridiculous, I've got great cell coverage, and it replaced my old 8gb nano. Awesome apps, really snappy and quick phone. Battery life is excellent, too. Jailbroke it right away.

I'd consider a droid, but the lag annoys the crap out of me. I'm picky like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #28
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I get your other points but not the last one..

Since when are we complaining about new technology??
Shit loses value quickly nowadays.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
The chipset in the Verizon iPhone 4 is the same chipset that is in the Droid world phone. So the Verizon iPhone 4 already has the capability to do both CDMA and GSM. Just Apple chose to limit it to CDMA only. Also, back in January there was a prototype released which had a mini-SIM card slot and had the antenna design of the Verizon iPhone. Either that is the iPhone 5 or an early stage Verizon iPhone.

I fully expect both phones to merge eventually. Either in June or next year.
exactly, the current baseband chip in the Verizon iPhone can already do both but it would have taken a major redesign for both to work. Everything I've read says Apple will come out w/ a world phone (GSM/CDMA) around summer time.

the iPad 2 is also expected to be merged for both
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
...Although I do not really know why people like to focus on the "antenna" issue...
The fact that it exists isn't the problem for me. It's all in how they reacted, as well as the "oops I guess we were accidentally deceiving iPhone owners into thinking they had better signal than they actually had this whole time" which came about at the same time. I had the original, a 3G, and a 3GS, and this whole time they were pissing down my back and trying to tell me it was rain. I always had my suspicions about the signal strengths, but dismissed it as me just having a completely non-scientific hunch that lacked any substantial empirical data to back it up.

I hope Apple burns in hell, but I do not hold that against the iPhone itself, and I respect it as a technological device. In fact, I was considering it last September when I wanted to get a new phone, but went with the Captivate instead, simply because I enjoy messing around with the available Android tweaks, and have been intending on getting into developing for a bit. The iPhone4 is an awesome phone, but once LTE becomes available to me, I wouldn't consider a new phone without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh, and can someone please tell them to have a non 3rd-party insurance policy?
verizon iphone has this option

Quote:
Shit loses value quickly nowadays.
just wanna add, I sold my 3GS for more than for what I paid for my iPhone 4. I also sold my 3G for more than what I paid for my 3GS. This is the only electronic device that I have been able to do that, its the only reason I upgrade every year
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #32
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
verizon iphone has this option
Srs? Damn. I want it.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #33
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
The fact that it exists isn't the problem for me. It's all in how they reacted, as well as the "oops I guess we were accidentally deceiving iPhone owners into thinking they had better signal than they actually had this whole time" which came about at the same time. I had the original, a 3G, and a 3GS, and this whole time they were pissing down my back and trying to tell me it was rain. I always had my suspicions about the signal strengths, but dismissed it as me just having a completely non-scientific hunch that lacked any substantial empirical data to back it up.
Yeah, I noticed that as well. When I upgraded from the original to the 3G, I noticed I had 1-2 bars of 3G at my house. Then iOS 2.1 came out, and I suddenly had 3-4 bars. I figured they fixed a bug and thought nothing of it.

Quote:
just wanna add, I sold my 3GS for more than for what I paid for my iPhone 4. I also sold my 3G for more than what I paid for my 3GS. This is the only electronic device that I have been able to do that, its the only reason I upgrade every year
Yeah, I love that. When the original came out, people were buying them for $1000 on eBay despite the Apple Stores still having plenty of stock throughout the weekend. It wasn't until Monday when stocks were running low. When the 3G came out, people were selling their originals for like $500-$600 or more despite the 3G being cheaper. Then when the iPhone 4 came out, retailers were offering trade in of the older phones for more then market price for the phone. Verizon was willing to give $100 for a 16 GB 3G, etc.

Last edited by quagmire; 02-10-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Yeah I sold all of mine for more than I paid, if you don't take into account price of contract, etc...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #35
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
my boss got one today, walked in and out in 15mins.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
my boss got one today, walked in and out in 15mins.
Try 5 minutes; I timed him!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #37
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

anyone who buys the verizon iphone is stupid, iphone 5 is going to come out and everyone is going to be stuck with the iphone 4
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #38
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
where exactly have you read that an iphone 5 for the VZ network is a given in June?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #39
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Word on the street is it will be going straight to the 5 in the summer.

I just bought 3 of the 4s. Family talk with my self.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #40
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iheLLraiseR View Post
where exactly have you read that an iphone 5 for the VZ network is a given in June?
Either way, VZ customers are going to be pissed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #41
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Either way, VZ customers are going to be pissed.
Thats why I'm waiting until June, Ill pre-order it so I dont have to wait in line
      02-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #42
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

Droid is better
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #43
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsy View Post
Droid is better
Android is expanding their devices fast. Surprisingly they have more applications and sold more devices than Apple now. As a iPhone user for 2 years I think I might consider jumping ships again. The 4G service HTC EVO offer is a plus. Would love to get consistent 3+ MBPS.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #44
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Thats why I'm waiting until June, Ill pre-order it so I dont have to wait in line
I meant that either way VZ customers are going pissed because the two iPhones will merge in June pissing off the customers who just bought the VZ iPhone or the VZ customer waiting for the iPhone 5 thinking that they will merge then will be pissed because they didn't merge and are stuck with getting a 4 or waiting until the 5 comes out for Verizon( or 6).
Appreciate 0