BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #45
Shevon
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I always thought I would get an e92 335 for my next car but this Audi has gotten my attention.

Go.
Wait for the RS4 if you must buy an Audi
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #46
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Just having driven the B8 S4, I can say wow. My brother's friend is a salesman at an Audi dealership, so he let me rip the car a new asshole. That thing goes, no doubt. My cousin's stock 335i is a bit abrupt on torque delivery. The S4 was very smooth on power delivery. The ride was firm, but wasn't uncomfortable. It didn't have the Audi Drive select or S Tronic, but it had the new torque vectoring differential. First impressions: black really showed off the lines in the light and was very classy. Some guy was taking delivery of an Ibis White S4, and that looked fantastic. The car hasn't been started the whole day, so hearing the car start up with a roar was exciting. It was throaty, but it was never intrusive in the cabin. The clutch was smooth and kind of soft, but it let me feel the biting point. The interior smelled distinctly Audi. The seats were THE BOMB. Great leather surface, although I noticed it absorbed my finger oil easily. Pulling out of the dealership, I was instructed to turn out into an empty straight where all the cars there are test driven. I rolled onto the throttle and was quickly gaining speed. No supercharger whine at all, just that deep V6. I didn't want to redline it, the car only had 126 miles and the engine was slightly cold. At the end of the straight is a bridge, and after that a series of sharp turns with wet patches(likely due to the sprinkling system)I naturally, wanting to experience this new Quattro trick diff, jammed the throttle and yanked the steering wheel. It was an odd experience to say the least. The car remained perfectly calm, even through the wet patches, and sailed through like the road was dry. It didn't feel natural, but it was definitely impressive. The steering was light, but not too light. It was easy to maneuver it back to its space later on. Unfortunately, I was too caught up in driving, so I didn't test out the audio or MMI. I can say that the buttons have a crisp feeling when you touch them. BMWs have a soft feel when you press into the buttons. The Audi had a crisp click, and each button didn't require much force to activate them. I kinda liked that, nice feedback coming from the buttons. People say the car doesn't have steering feel, but that is absolutely wrong. Although not as direct as say, my cousin's 335i sedan, I could feel what the tires where doing to a certain extent. Overall, I would definitely try out the S4. One test drive could change your mind!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #47
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Now here's a stupid fuckin' idea.....why not take them both out on a proper test drive and see which one you prefer???

I have had the 335i and I was looking at an S4 avant, now to put this in perspective I had an M3 SMG coupe and an A6 3.2 avant at the time after wanting another M3 again as the 335i was nice, fast, but a little dull. Also my 2005 A4 avant was the worst car I have ever owned, hated it in so many ways it is untrue, nose heavy, poor gearing, nasty clutch, and just horrible to drive in anything but a straight line.

However I bumped into a someone from one of the magazines one evening and he had the S4 avant press car, with S-Tronic and just about every option you could tick, he had been driving an E92 M3 previously, and he said the new S4 was great, a car he would probably spend his own money on.

I decided to take the S4 out, managed to get it for the whole day which was a bonus.

Firstly the interior is great, couple of odd things like the way the air vets are different heights from passenger, middle and drivers side which makes the cabin look awkward, and for some strange reasson the cd player is high and the climate low leaving a black slab of plastic in the middle of the dash, but overall it is a nice place to be. The pedals are better positioned than the previous S4 and the seats are much nicer, the old car looked like it had nice seats but they were not great considering they were Recaros, I think the under thigh support raises more on the new one, more like the BMW sport seats.
The new MMI system is pretty nice, although not actually as good to use as iDrive, easier to learn but using it you have to delve deep into menus to do the simplest of things, like call home.
But all in all a good infotainment system.

The car actually feels similar to my old 335i, just as quick, but smoother, more refined (which to me is not a positive) but as quick, however the first thing you notice is the steering feels more artificial, even setting it to the sportiest of settings the car doesn't have that balance you have with a BMW, don't get me wrong, the best all round Audi ever made after the RS4 (not tried the R8) and I would take it over the RS4 as I prefer the DSG 'box.
But going across the twisties it just didn't reward you in the same way the 335i does, it does it all in a very cultured relaxed manner, no drama, no fuss, it just takes you through the bends. One problem is you can't feel what the car is really doing beneath you, each time you do a stretch you can get faster and faster, you get to remember how fast you can do each corner, but that is not the same as feeling what is happening and reacting on the fly, at least with the BMW you can tell when it is going to let go.

All in all a really nice car, and one I would definitely own, for me the 335i always felt a real step backwards from my M3, but then it was a CSL so was in a different league feedback wise, but then after selling the CSL and getting the 335i I went back to a regular SMG M3 and still thought it was 100x better than the 335i in every area other than outright pace (my 335i was remapped so quicker.)
So I wouldn't actually want either, I would have the S4, but in avant guise and as my second car, it just isn't fun enough, if you want a fun car buy a used M3, if you need a sensible car that can gobble the miles in complete comfort and far faster than most things out there then the S4 is great, if you want something that is going to make you want to go out and drive just for the sake of it then get an M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Just having driven the B8 S4, I can say wow. My brother's friend is a salesman at an Audi dealership, so he let me rip the car a new asshole. That thing goes, no doubt. My cousin's stock 335i is a bit abrupt on torque delivery. The S4 was very smooth on power delivery. The ride was firm, but wasn't uncomfortable. It didn't have the Audi Drive select or S Tronic, but it had the new torque vectoring differential. First impressions: black really showed off the lines in the light and was very classy. Some guy was taking delivery of an Ibis White S4, and that looked fantastic. The car hasn't been started the whole day, so hearing the car start up with a roar was exciting. It was throaty, but it was never intrusive in the cabin. The clutch was smooth and kind of soft, but it let me feel the biting point. The interior smelled distinctly Audi. The seats were THE BOMB. Great leather surface, although I noticed it absorbed my finger oil easily. Pulling out of the dealership, I was instructed to turn out into an empty straight where all the cars there are test driven. I rolled onto the throttle and was quickly gaining speed. No supercharger whine at all, just that deep V6. I didn't want to redline it, the car only had 126 miles and the engine was slightly cold. At the end of the straight is a bridge, and after that a series of sharp turns with wet patches(likely due to the sprinkling system)I naturally, wanting to experience this new Quattro trick diff, jammed the throttle and yanked the steering wheel. It was an odd experience to say the least. The car remained perfectly calm, even through the wet patches, and sailed through like the road was dry. It didn't feel natural, but it was definitely impressive. The steering was light, but not too light. It was easy to maneuver it back to its space later on. Unfortunately, I was too caught up in driving, so I didn't test out the audio or MMI. I can say that the buttons have a crisp feeling when you touch them. BMWs have a soft feel when you press into the buttons. The Audi had a crisp click, and each button didn't require much force to activate them. I kinda liked that, nice feedback coming from the buttons. People say the car doesn't have steering feel, but that is absolutely wrong. Although not as direct as say, my cousin's 335i sedan, I could feel what the tires where doing to a certain extent. Overall, I would definitely try out the S4. One test drive could change your mind!
Thanks for the GREAT reviews.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #48
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Here is mine....

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #49
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Now here's a stupid fuckin' idea.....why not take them both out on a proper test drive and see which one you prefer???

I have had the 335i and I was looking at an S4 avant, now to put this in perspective I had an M3 SMG coupe and an A6 3.2 avant at the time after wanting another M3 again as the 335i was nice, fast, but a little dull. Also my 2005 A4 avant was the worst car I have ever owned, hated it in so many ways it is untrue, nose heavy, poor gearing, nasty clutch, and just horrible to drive in anything but a straight line.

However I bumped into a someone from one of the magazines one evening and he had the S4 avant press car, with S-Tronic and just about every option you could tick, he had been driving an E92 M3 previously, and he said the new S4 was great, a car he would probably spend his own money on.

I decided to take the S4 out, managed to get it for the whole day which was a bonus.

Firstly the interior is great, couple of odd things like the way the air vets are different heights from passenger, middle and drivers side which makes the cabin look awkward, and for some strange reasson the cd player is high and the climate low leaving a black slab of plastic in the middle of the dash, but overall it is a nice place to be. The pedals are better positioned than the previous S4 and the seats are much nicer, the old car looked like it had nice seats but they were not great considering they were Recaros, I think the under thigh support raises more on the new one, more like the BMW sport seats.
The new MMI system is pretty nice, although not actually as good to use as iDrive, easier to learn but using it you have to delve deep into menus to do the simplest of things, like call home.
But all in all a good infotainment system.

The car actually feels similar to my old 335i, just as quick, but smoother, more refined (which to me is not a positive) but as quick, however the first thing you notice is the steering feels more artificial, even setting it to the sportiest of settings the car doesn't have that balance you have with a BMW, don't get me wrong, the best all round Audi ever made after the RS4 (not tried the R8) and I would take it over the RS4 as I prefer the DSG 'box.
But going across the twisties it just didn't reward you in the same way the 335i does, it does it all in a very cultured relaxed manner, no drama, no fuss, it just takes you through the bends. One problem is you can't feel what the car is really doing beneath you, each time you do a stretch you can get faster and faster, you get to remember how fast you can do each corner, but that is not the same as feeling what is happening and reacting on the fly, at least with the BMW you can tell when it is going to let go.

All in all a really nice car, and one I would definitely own, for me the 335i always felt a real step backwards from my M3, but then it was a CSL so was in a different league feedback wise, but then after selling the CSL and getting the 335i I went back to a regular SMG M3 and still thought it was 100x better than the 335i in every area other than outright pace (my 335i was remapped so quicker.)
So I wouldn't actually want either, I would have the S4, but in avant guise and as my second car, it just isn't fun enough, if you want a fun car buy a used M3, if you need a sensible car that can gobble the miles in complete comfort and far faster than most things out there then the S4 is great, if you want something that is going to make you want to go out and drive just for the sake of it then get an M3.
Your opinion sums up what most BMW drivers would think after spending a very limited time behind the wheel of the S4. I isn't as raw than experience as a BMW is, if that rawness is what you prefer then I agree you should look else where.

But if you don't mind a more polished experience then be in no doubt, the S4 is superior in every way to the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #50
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Think you're missing the point. What exactly does the S4/5 offer over the 335?

Exterior styling? ...Subjective

A better interior? Some will argue though I tend to agree.

Better performance? ...Well that's what the magazines are saying at least

Fun facor? (RWD, weight distribution, etc...)

Difference in price premium?

HPFP is an issue with the 335, but don't think you're safe switching over to an S4/5 either.

They're cars and just like any car, they can have issues.

A lot of wrong data here...

1) Yes, the looks are subjective.
2) Weight distribution of the S4 is CLOSE to 50/50, not like the Bimmer, but close. 60/40 is the AWD distribution. However, the AWD adds a LOT to the fun, stability and handling.
3) Stock for stock, S4 performs better than the 335. I believe the 335 is easier to modify though.
4) Manual Transmission is IMO day and night. THough very precise with the Bimmer, it was fairly disappointing with a long throw and sometimes sticky and fairly heavy clutch pedal.
5) Price, S4 Premium Plus (Base model) I purchased yesterday was $47k out of the door, that is equivalent to the Bimmers Premium + Sport package. I believe the price is pretty much the same if not a tad cheaper with the Audi
6) Problems -- there is a clear data on the 2009 B8 model reliability, and...I believe it is actually better than the 335 that has been around for a few years. Every car has issues...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #51
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
A lot of wrong data here...

1) Yes, the looks are subjective.
2) Weight distribution of the S4 is CLOSE to 50/50, not like the Bimmer, but close. 60/40 is the AWD distribution. However, the AWD adds a LOT to the fun, stability and handling.
3) Stock for stock, S4 performs better than the 335. I believe the 335 is easier to modify though.
4) Manual Transmission is IMO day and night. THough very precise with the Bimmer, it was fairly disappointing with a long throw and sometimes sticky and fairly heavy clutch pedal.
5) Price, S4 Premium Plus (Base model) I purchased yesterday was $47k out of the door, that is equivalent to the Bimmers Premium + Sport package. I believe the price is pretty much the same if not a tad cheaper with the Audi
6) Problems -- there is a clear data on the 2009 B8 model reliability, and...I believe it is actually better than the 335 that has been around for a few years. Every car has issues...
What options did you specifically get with your car? Besides the Premium Plus what other model is there?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #52
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What options did you specifically get with your car? Besides the Premium Plus what other model is there?
Premium plus (pictures above) is the Base S4 model. That is all I got on it. I did not care about anything else. It is equivalent to the Premium BMW. ZSP is already part of the S4.

You can get the separate options:
- Nav
- B&O Stereo (Logic7 equivalent)
- 19" wheels
- ADS system
- an other options.

Prestige package automatically adds the Nav, B&O, and some other things that I did not care about...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #53
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Not to beat a dead horse, but the premium plus package is the equivalent of the BMW 335Xi or i with sport, cold weather and premium packages. Price out a 335i with those options and you are higher than the base price of the S4 at $45,900. The Xi is higher still. The only way the BMW is cheaper is to go with base only, sport only or premium only.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #54
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
The new S4 has a tune you can buy already..and more will be coming. I personally cant afford a new S4..or a new M3..or a new 335i for that matter...I have had both BMWs and Audis...and I like them both. Its all a matter of your taste..not what fanboys say. You only go around once...live a little..and get what really moves you.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #55
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you are picking someone else up for errors I think I should also inform you that the S4 isn't near 50/50. It's actual figure is 54.7/44.3.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #56
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Premium plus (pictures above) is the Base S4 model. That is all I got on it. I did not care about anything else. It is equivalent to the Premium BMW. ZSP is already part of the S4.

You can get the separate options:
- Nav
- B&O Stereo (Logic7 equivalent)
- 19" wheels
- ADS system
- an other options.

Prestige package automatically adds the Nav, B&O, and some other things that I did not care about...
So you got your car with zero options at all. Did you have to order it that way or did you find it on a lot?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #57
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you got your car with zero options at all. Did you have to order it that way or did you find it on a lot?
I wanted it like this because the options are expensive and did not need/want them. This was the only "base" S4 in the region from NC to TX to FL. This one was at the lot in Palm Beach (25 miles from me)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #58
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
If you are picking someone else up for errors I think I should also inform you that the S4 isn't near 50/50. It's actual figure is 54.7/44.3.
For me that qualifies as "NEAR", much better than what it used to be with the Audis.

Also, since you pointed out me picking on someone, I should inform you that 54.7 + 44.3 does not equal 100...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #59
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Don't buy S4... wait for RS4/5 that will be coming out soon.

If you need a new car NOW, get a used 335. There will be less depreciation then when you trade it in for RS4/5.
RS4 and RS6 aren't coming to NA.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #60
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
The new S4 has a tune you can buy already..and more will be coming. I personally cant afford a new S4..or a new M3..or a new 335i for that matter...I have had both BMWs and Audis...and I like them both. Its all a matter of your taste..not what fanboys say. You only go around once...live a little..and get what really moves you.
yezzzir.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #61
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

S4s are awesome, and priced right. If I was doing it again, I'd put some serious consideration into the Audi. Especially if you want AWD, because I think Quattro > Xdrive.

Then again, Msport > Quattro, plus you can do EuroDelivery on the 335i and go to Munich for an unforgettable experience! And/or, the Performance Center!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #62
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
S4s are awesome, and priced right. If I was doing it again, I'd put some serious consideration into the Audi. Especially if you want AWD, because I think Quattro > Xdrive.

Then again, Msport > Quattro, plus you can do EuroDelivery on the 335i and go to Munich for an unforgettable experience! And/or, the Performance Center!
Ahm...Audi also has the Euro Delivery program, FYI.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #63
onehungevo
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I think the 335i coupe is too big and that is why I went with a 135i. To answer your question I would pick the audi because you don't see many of those around.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #64
audiprotein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi a4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevon View Post
Wait for the RS4 if you must buy an Audi
No more RS4s
      11-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #65
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For me that qualifies as "NEAR", much better than what it used to be with the Audis.

Also, since you pointed out me picking on someone, I should inform you that 54.7 + 44.3 does not equal 100...

A finger fart on the keyboard, it should have read 45.3%. My point was where BMW make a big deal of their 50/50 balance (as do their following) your rounding up a full 5% on either axle was a bit mis-leading to the unfamiliar. I'm not saying that it makes a mountain of difference, it's not like the 335i or xi can corner any harder or quicker than the S4, in fact it's probably the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #66
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A finger fart on the keyboard, it should have read 45.3%. My point was where BMW make a big deal of their 50/50 balance (as do their following) your rounding up a full 5% on either axle was a bit mis-leading to the unfamiliar. I'm not saying that it makes a mountain of difference, it's not like the 335i or xi can corner any harder or quicker than the S4, in fact it's probably the opposite.
No problem, mate...
Appreciate 0