BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #45
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Get a used '05-'08 Lexus GX470. Those drivetrains will go 500,000 miles.
agreed. im planing on getting one of those by the end of the year as a commuter
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #46
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
My wife and I went back and forth between it and the MDX, and eventually decided that if we are going to be driving something that large, we'd prefer to have the cargo capacity of the MDX.

For the OP: I'd also recommend a used MDX. If you have't driven one give it a try. It seems very large but it drives smaller and the actual physical measurements are reasonable. Its only an inch longer than a 5 series.
I can relate to that. I went with my family to see the ZDX and they didn't like it as much as the MDX. They said they'd rather have the MDX which is completely understandable because it's actually an SUV. So if someone needs an SUV the MDX would be THE choice.

The ZDX, IMO, is for those that don't really need the cargo space of an SUV yet would like to sit up higher AND like that extra space for cargo it provides. I think those are called cross-over utility vehicles (CUV). BMW did it with the X6; Toyota with the Venza (essentially a station wagon of some sort); Honda with the Accord Crossover, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #47
iamgus_gus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 350z,soon 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
hmm lots of interesting suggestions!

Keep them coming!

I am currently leaning towards smaller vehicles like the LR2, RDX, and X3. However I do like the ML. But sadly, the tahoe, GX, and MDX are too big for me.

Touareg, i am surprised you did not suggest a touareg lol, my sister in law has one, its great!!! but too big and too thirsty for me
http://www.vw.com/tiguan/en/us/

theres your answer right there then. u said u wanted small

if not then get a used fx35, its got the vq engine
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #48
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I know this will be hard to believe but the V6 is the more enjoyable drive. It's a little slower for sure but we are talking about SUVs so comfort should take priority anyway and truth me, in normal give and take traffic situations I doubt you will really notice the drop in power but driven sensibly you will see an improvement at the pump.

The only question is whether they are any cheaper than the equivalent X5.
I would say that they are much cheaper than the equivalent X5s here. I'm not sure if i would see a great improvement in Fuel economy. I remember that the estimated fuel economy was about a +1 improvement for both city and highway for the V6 over the V8.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #49
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
I would say that they are much cheaper than the equivalent X5s here. I'm not sure if i would see a great improvement in Fuel economy. I remember that the estimated fuel economy was about a +1 improvement for both city and highway for the V6 over the V8.
That is interesting, I was sure that in the combined cycle the V6 would have been more economical over the V8 by more than 1mpg.

As I am not in America I don't know the list of models available to you but I think this formula works the world over, bigger means heavier and heavier means less economical. So if you need space then you will pay for it at the pump, regardless of engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #50
Jet Black
Rep
Drives: black

BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #51
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

There is actually a really good deal on a 2003 X5 3.0i with 40K miles. It seems pretty clean and is one owner, i am planning on checking it out.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #52
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i just re-read the OP post, I think if I'm in your shoes, I would just get a honda crv and call it a day. it does everything equally well, good on gas, practical, understate look, don't have to worry wherever you go, part are dirt cheap. I checked tirerack for brake or tires, freaking half the price of pretty much every other luxo suv.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #53
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i just re-read the OP post, I think if I'm in your shoes, I would just get a honda crv and call it a day. it does everything equally well, good on gas, practical, understate look, don't have to worry wherever you go, part are dirt cheap. I checked tirerack for brake or tires, freaking half the price of pretty much every other luxo suv.
I agree. That and keep your car. I will need an SUV/Truck next summer to tow my track toys(bike,car). I will get a used truck 5-10K max and just drive it to the ground.A full size Chevy will do the job.I'm not down on spending 50K for a truck while I can put it on a car. I hate automatic cars let alone trucks. Unless you need to use your car has a status symbol skip the Cayenne's,Range,X5 my friends only use them to show that they have money.....thats their only purpose.Never went off roading,nor pull anything with these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 02-04-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #54
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd stick with Acura personally.

I dont like the X3, its like the porsche boxter of Suv's.

THe landrover, well enough said its unreliable pig.

You too lexus out of the equation, but you can get a Toyota Highlander which is the samething just cheaper.

Or Acura MDX or RDX.

CRV is fine but its underpowered.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #55
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: Too slow

I have both a Q5 and a GLK, both AWD. I'd have to say, I like the GLK a bit more.

The Audi center console is cluttered, it sits a bit higher because the engine is up higher, but it probably has a bit more space and a bigger boot. I also HATE the adaptive steering, and I don't remember if you can buy it w/o the adaptive steering. But hey, that's just preference.

The GLK's throttle is much more responsive and a much more fun car to drive, but it eats a bit more gas than the Q5. It's simpler on the inside, but the iPod interface isn't as good as the Q5's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #56
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep

Oh, and I used to have a '04 GX470. I'd have to say, I loved that car too. The grunt of the v8 = love.

Not one problem with it, except the brakes (but I'm sure that was more my fault than anything else). Had it for 5 years, until the lease was up, and had more than 70,000 miles on it, still handled perfectly.
Quote:

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #57
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I test drove a Land Rover LR2 thursday and really liked it. Although I was confused with a little bit. Both the salesman and the land rover web site indicates 4wd but many online websites say its AWD.

I know that there is a difference in AWD and 4wd but which one is it?

Although i know there is a difference between AWD and 4WD, i'm not sure what that is?

Also, since i'm pretty much snowed in right now, which would do better in snow?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #58
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

the lr2 kind of looks like a ford escape but it does have a volvo i6 engine
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #59
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I test drove a Land Rover LR2 thursday and really liked it. Although I was confused with a little bit. Both the salesman and the land rover web site indicates 4wd but many online websites say its AWD.

I know that there is a difference in AWD and 4wd but which one is it?

Although i know there is a difference between AWD and 4WD, i'm not sure what that is?

Also, since i'm pretty much snowed in right now, which would do better in snow?
The LR2 uses a Haldex system (exactly the same as the Volve XC60) which will only shift upto 50% of the available power to the rear but no more, though it can shift upto 100% of the available torque. It's ok but not of the standard that the Discovery and Range Rover use.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #60
jetblk328i
Colonel
Rep

That makes me second guess the LR2. I was very interested in Land rover's superb AWD/4WD systems.

So what do you guys think has the Best awd/4wd system for snow that would fit in my price range?

I truly despise driving in the snow and would certainly get snow tires for this new SUV.

Quattro, Xdrive, 4matic, SH-AWD, 4motion, Land rover's system? Soooo many to choose from....

Also, sadly I will have to admit that I want something with a little bit of badge. I think that more "expensive" cars might be a little more well designed and would have a bit more attention to detail than some normal cars. VW is ok though, they seem to pack a lot of engineering into their cars.

Last edited by jetblk328i; 02-06-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #61
eVitO
trollololol
Ukraine
Rep

I'd go w/ 4matic > Quattro, just from experience.

I don't know much about the rest.

Oh, by the way, 4matic has a 48/52 power distribution.
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #62
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

SH-AWD is the most advanced of all those.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #63
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
With the right rubber I don't think any of them will under perform in the snow, but of the 'normal' road going awd systems out there I would reckon the latest quattro system will work best in snow. BTW I am leaving out LandRover's traditional system from the more expensive models as they are pretty incredible.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #64
touareg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I don't think there is any AWD system in the cars you're considering that is significantly superior in the snow. Just thrown on some good winter tires and you'll be good to go.

SH-AWD can proportion torque between the two rear wheels to some extent, but this is mainly for better handling in dry/wet roads, not so much for better traction on snow/ice.

I'd be interested to see if the Terrain Response system in the Land Rover would give better traction, given the same tires and conditions as the other cars. But the AWD system in the LR2 itself, Terrain Response aside, doesn't seem to be particularly special.

My B6 A4 had quattro with a constant 50/50 mechanical torque split, with ESP braking the individual wheels if necessary. The only two times it was ever stuck, it was due to insufficient ground clearance (got beached on icy snow), not because of anything quattro-related.
      02-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #65
karimMsalama
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 , VW MK2 16V

HAMMER H3
      02-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #66
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by touareg View Post
I don't think there is any AWD system in the cars you're considering that is significantly superior in the snow. Just thrown on some good winter tires and you'll be good to go.

SH-AWD can proportion torque between the two rear wheels to some extent, but this is mainly for better handling in dry/wet roads, not so much for better traction on snow/ice.

I'd be interested to see if the Terrain Response system in the Land Rover would give better traction, given the same tires and conditions as the other cars. But the AWD system in the LR2 itself, Terrain Response aside, doesn't seem to be particularly special.

My B6 A4 had quattro with a constant 50/50 mechanical torque split, with ESP braking the individual wheels if necessary. The only two times it was ever stuck, it was due to insufficient ground clearance (got beached on icy snow), not because of anything quattro-related.
That is exactly the opinion I had, I don't think the differences will be all that great as long as you are using the right rubber and as you mentioned the appropricate ground clearance.
Appreciate 0