BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Is an exhaust for the M3 a waste of money?

Hey all,

I've had the M3 for about 1.5 months now and have been getting the itch to modify the exhaust. I am quite happy with the stock exhaust, sound, and performance of the car. The question is if it is really worth it to get a akrapovic slip on or m performance exhaust? It does not seem to really add much to performance. Just an improved look and sound. Is this really worth $2-$3k? Would really like to hear everyone's view on this as spending this much for such minimal gain seems pointless.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
sqse90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Schwarz E90 DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
you can do the OEM mod - either bypass or ACM for around $300. EAS sells swappable units for around that price as well. sound quality is supposed to rival that of the M performance exhaust and does not drone (at least bypass method).

to change the look, you can go with EAS 80mm single wall tips or akrapovic exhaust tips. i'm sure there are many other companies with tips available as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Sure, it is mostly about the sound. Sure, the cost is excessive. And sure, most of the guys that own M-cars have enough disposable income that they don't really sweat the cost. To me, it's more fun to spend money on fun stuff like mods than it is spending on most other expenses. For car enthusiasts, this is a hobby expense, and things relating to hobbies know no limits even if they defy common sense. The main limiting factor is the spouse's acceptance of your sickness!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
It's subjective. My opinion is no muffler alone can beat the OEM exhaust mod. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqse90 View Post
you can do the OEM mod - either bypass or ACM for around $300. EAS sells swappable units for around that price as well. sound quality is supposed to rival that of the M performance exhaust and does not drone (at least bypass method).

to change the look, you can go with EAS 80mm single wall tips or akrapovic exhaust tips. i'm sure there are many other companies with tips available as well.
The oem exhaust mod sounds good, but man it brings back memories of ricing cars out. At the end of the day beats spending $3k for something similar.

I've heard the ACM mod in videos before and it sounds amazing. Is this more expensive than the bypass method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Sure, it is mostly about the sound. Sure, the cost is excessive. And sure, most of the guys that own M-cars have enough disposable income that they don't really sweat the cost. To me, it's more fun to spend money on fun stuff like mods than it is spending on most other expenses. For car enthusiasts, this is a hobby expense, and things relating to hobbies know no limits even if they defy common sense. The main limiting factor is the spouse's acceptance of your sickness!
Good point.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

yes, in a way, they are a waste of money since they don't make the car perform any better. You're better off spending the money on an x pipe if you don't care about emission testing. OEM exhaust mod is a heck of a bang for the buck really. Sounds great, as good as or even better than some of the aftermarket exhausts, for a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
ki_daniel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F80 Comp

You can get decent gains with a good exhaust but at quite the cost ($4-$6k)

but overall, it's personal preference

I've had my fun going all out on my previous cars but I wanted to keep this car mostly stock for a daily driver.

I purchased the M performance muffler when I got my car for $3k and it has bare minimal gains but imo, it sounds great with no drone. I didn't want to chop up my OEM muffler or make a heat shield for my rear bushings for an aftermarket one so the M performance was my choice.

If you want gains, get an X pipe or test pipes.

I just installed test pipes and a BPM tune and called it a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

If you're looking for performance, there's nothing in my opinion that is going generate anything wildly meaningful on the exhaust front unless you get a full exhaust with software to match.

You might get 20-30hp there, and shave 30-40 lbs in weight. And your car will get very very loud, and potentially have some emissions related issues.

If you're looking for a different sound, the MPE or Akra are both popular upgrades that a lot of people are happy with.
      04-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Good thread, my opinion is that the cost/benefit of an aftermarket exhaust is not really worth it. Too expensive for the nominal HP gains, and weight savings. Some will argue that the titanium exhaust has substantial weight savings, again for the pricepoint not worth it.

I did the OEM mod and am very happy with it. I also like the fact that my primary cats are in place which avoids me any CEL or other tuner headaches.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Three real reasons to swap exhausts (rear section)
-Sound
-Weight reduction
-Looks

Personally, a nice sounding exhaust combined with weight reduction makes the price of admission worth it.
      04-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

If you're happy with stock I wouldn't bother. The stock exhaust sounds nice albeit on the quiet side. What's cool about the stock exhaust is that you get to really hear the engine/intake noise which is a good thing.

To balance with the sound up front without overpowering it was the trick for me. Loud exhausts tend to drown/drone out the beautiful engine noise unless WOT. I've tried a few and the MPE is the best exhaust for me. Totally balanced sounding, great tone!

If I were on a budget, I'd consider slicing and dicing the OEM exhaust and go the perforated mod route. Forget any noticeable gains with just a slip on, they're a sound/aesthetic mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Get the Megan its super cheap, great quality and sounds great!!!
      04-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
kninjak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW 2012 M3

It's a personal preference I went with the perforated method then after couple weeks wanted more so went bypass still wanted more so finally installed meistershaft gt2 boy that thing is awesome for some it might be loud but to me it's music to my ears
Also n e video on you tube or n e channel does not justify the sound u can hear in person so find someone in ur local area to see what set up they got and then compare it to ur exhaust that will clear ur mind also about expense it's the M tax u will pay for n e thing
Good luck in ur exploration
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

be happy to be ok with stock exhuast. i wish i could say the same. it would save me money.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
I could not have said it any better
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I couldn't imagine having the m3 without some sort of modded/aftermarket exhaust. This car just sounds way too good to be restrained by the stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post
The oem exhaust mod sounds good, but man it brings back memories of ricing cars out. At the end of the day beats spending $3k for something similar.

I've heard the ACM mod in videos before and it sounds amazing. Is this more expensive than the bypass method?

Good point.
The OEM exhaust mod is not "ricing your car out". I mean it could be to you, but we have different tastes
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #18
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

To me, the sound of my cars is important. The M3 sounds great stock, it just needs to be "uncorked" a little. But the prices of most of these exhausts is laughable, whether one has the money or not. Way too expensive. I think the best bang for the buck, next to the stock exhaust mod, would be the mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:
Hey all,

I've had the M3 for about 1.5 months now and have been getting the itch to modify the exhaust. I am quite happy with the stock exhaust, sound, and performance of the car. The question is if it is really worth it to get a akrapovic slip on or m performance exhaust? It does not seem to really add much to performance. Just an improved look and sound. Is this really worth $2-$3k? Would really like to hear everyone's view on this as spending this much for such minimal gain seems pointless.
I also have had my m3 for just over a month. I was also happy with the stock exhaust. I just got the MPE installed about a week ago and it's awesome. For me, it was worth the money and my car sounds great without being obnoxious. Some say the MPE isn't loud enough for them but it strikes the perfect balance for me. It also has all the benefits of being an OEM part. On my car, it's a night and day difference from stock in all the right places.

I play guitar for a hobby as well. I have a large collection of guitars and amplifiers. It might be considered crazy how long I can sit around and mindlessly noodle on guitar listening to one of my hand-wired tube amps. The auditory stimulation I get from this is very similar to a drug and I get a similar satisfaction listening to a great engine sound. Don't sell yourself short on your new m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
OerdingE93
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mineral White E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis
Three real reasons to swap exhausts (rear section)
-Sound
-Weight reduction
-Looks

Personally, a nice sounding exhaust combined with weight reduction makes the price of admission worth it.
+1

|ESS VT1-550 510whp|MRF MID|AKRA REAR|CKS COILS|FORGESTAR|CSL TRUNK|GT4 Lip|3D-DESIGN
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

I personally view the MPE as an extra option that can be checked when you bought the M3 new. It was built specifically for the vehicle and made to enhance the engine noise and exhaust harmonics and no exhaust sounds like it due to the inconel material. Some people like M-drive, EDC, extended leather etc. May or may not be worth it to you, but don't do it just for power its more of an experience enhancer more than anything else (and personally worth every penny to me).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Hey all,

I spent $300 on the OEM exhaust mod and never looked back. So, yes, totally worth it. I only did it for the sound. Like others have said, is $4-6k worth it, not in my book. My primary focus of my mods were the little cosmetic stuff and the big money I spent was on track performance. Saving a few pounds with minimal performance gain wasn't worth the huge outlay of cash. My $.02.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0