BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

03-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Jabo0724
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

JL VRS lip install

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the rest of you on a lip install. My VRS lip was delivered today and I'm trying to decide on whether or not to paint it to match or leave the CF exposed? Also, it came with 9 screws for the install, no tape, I sure the body shop knows what they are doing, but I was wondering if there should be tape or glue added for extra stability? Keep in mind I will be tracking this car on the Ring once the weather gets a little warmer. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

check out the DIY someone just did it recently sorry lazy to find the link... hoping you can find it yourself helps you navigate the site a lot faster since your pretty new..

oh get a 3M tape not the white one the black and red used thescrew and the double sided tape for solid install
      03-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I just got my matte VRS style lip from JL as well and I have no idea how to install it either? It came with some screws but no screw holes. And I agree there should be some type of adhesive barrier between the two lips as well. I seen some guy used black weatherproof cauking.... I am planing on wrapping my lip in gloss black vinyl so I suppose that will give it some cushion.

If you figure it out please PM me and let me know.
      03-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Jabo0724
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

I decided to paint it to match. My local shop is installing it using the 9 screws and a small amount of adhesive on the back side under the car to make sure it holds tight. I would like a tight as fit as possible and they assured me if I want to have it removed or swapped it will not be an issue. It would be an issue if the thing comes off while doing 150+ on the autobahn, so better safe then sorry. As for how to physically install it myself, I can't help you. I do know they needed to drill the holes for the screws to mount to the front end. There should be larger holes on the bottom side, that are used as access holes, but that's were the screws should mount. Will try and post pics soon.
Appreciate 0