BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

02-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
direwolfM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

maintenance plan ending soon

So, my so my warranty and maintenance plan will be ending in a few months. I will probably extend the warranty but haven't made up my mind about the maintenance plan. In the event that I do not extend the maintenance, is there anything I should have done before the plan ends?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
direwolfM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

no one wants to give me any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
dhahlen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 318is, e90 335i, e92 m3

Sure, here are some.

1.) Search, this topic has been covered several times.
2.) Good idea on extending the warranty, they usually pay for themselves
3.) Maintenance, are you good at DIY? If no, then get it. If yes, then don't bother.

Extending the maintenance is roughly 3-4k? Let's see what it covers for an additional 2yr/50k.

Probably:

1 Set of Rotors (rears if fronts have already been replaced, might replace other set if you drive it enough) - $600 a pair? I'm guessing

Brake Pads - $100

Oil Changes, Differential and Transmission every 3rd change. That means 3 oil changes since they go by the service light, a transmission / brake fluid change, and differential. Figure $500 worth of fluids and service for those.

Wiper Blades - $30

Clutch - This is where it gets valuable, if the clutch goes, you get a new one (yay!)

o2 sensors - not cheap

spark plugs - relatively inexpensive in comparison to other big ticket items.

Here is the list from their website:

Engine oil change and filter replacement
Vehicle inspections or check (per the applicable service maintenance checklist)
Cabin dust microfilters - fresh air and recirculating3
Air filter replacement
Brake pads (front/rear)
Brake discs (front/rear - only in conjunction with a covered brake pad replacement)
Brake fluid replacement
Engine drive belts
Windshield wiper inserts (front and rear3)
Manual transmission clutch disc3
Manual transmission oil3 (only in conjunction with an applicable engine oil and filter replacement)
Spark plugs4
Oxygen sensors4
Fuel filter3 (diesel engines only)
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)3 - refill both tanks (only in conjunction with an eligible engine oil and filter replacement)
Running-in check at 1,200 miles3 (BMW M vehicles only, excluding the 1 Series M Coupe, X5 M and X6 M)
Reset the maintenance system

My $0.02. If you drive the car A LOT, get the maintenance plan if you don't want to deal with it. If you're anal like me, do multiple intervals between service (oil change at half intervals, brake fluid changes more often if you track it, spark plugs every 35k, differential every 50k, etc), then it's not really a big deal. The clutch is a nice benefit, but you have to wear it down....

Also, $50 surcharge every time you bring it in. Both my friends with extended warranty / maintenance have a $50 surcharge (may only apply to warranty items though, maintenance may be free).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Send a PM to GOLFFRR, who works at an M-certified dealership in California. He may be able to get you a deal on an extended warranty and maintenance plan:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623286
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

ok im at 60k miles and the only maintenance i did so far is

oil change... brake fluid change..( will work on this weekend ) also i will be doing the diff fluid change...

Brake pads and brake disc are still fat... front 80% and rear is like 50% so long time... before i need them change...

sparkplugs no need, was change at 30k miles
windshield wiper was change at 49k
oxygen sensor no issue
clutch still strong... since i dont abuse mine and never had seen the redline... im good to go for maybe 100k ... LOL

so in short... every 7k miles i change my oil and spend

$130 9qtz and a oil filter
$40 2 qtz brake fluid
(differential oil not sure how much) havent order one yet...

oh it helps if your the mechanic as well...

so OP if you can do all this i suggest skip the maintenance plan...
      03-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

my maintenance ends in 5/2012. I just hit 20k and my CBS stated that I will get a diff fluid change at 20k or 4/2012. But as Sean05 said, there's nothing major going on until spark plugs at 37k and the occasional brake pad change and brake fluid flush (every 2 years, or by CBS).

I say skip if you drive less than 12k a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

update.. i got a price quote from one of the best bmw dealer and a sponsor here...

just right under $310.including tax... .. pick up only though since some oil cannot be shipped...

this maintenance includes for a complete overhall

brake fluid
transmission fluid
diff fluid...

i say good price

also i called the dealer they want 1200 for all 3.... LOL... if shes a hot SA i say suck my D
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
update.. i got a price quote from one of the best bmw dealer and a sponsor here...

just right under $310.including tax... .. pick up only though since some oil cannot be shipped...

this maintenance includes for a complete overhall

brake fluid
transmission fluid
diff fluid...

i say good price

also i called the dealer they want 1200 for all 3.... LOL... if shes a hot SA i say suck my D
you mean, you bought the fluids, and will do the change yourself, or through 3rd party shop? Where'd you get it, Tischer?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Maintenance plan extension

My maintenance and warranty expire in 6 days. I don't think the maintenance plan will pencil out with my slightly under 10k mi/year . I'd be more interested in a warranty extension, but think I'll pass on that, too.

I take my car in tomorrow for a few minor things and general check over.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
My maintenance and warranty expire in 6 days. I don't think the maintenance plan will pencil out with my slightly under 10k mi/year . I'd be more interested in a warranty extension, but think I'll pass on that, too.

I take my car in tomorrow for a few minor things and general check over.
I'm likely going the same way, I average about 10k a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
you mean, you bought the fluids, and will do the change yourself, or through 3rd party shop? Where'd you get it, Tischer?
MYSELF...

its really easy to change...

contact jimmy forgot the parts department SN but hes here...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahlen View Post
2.) Good idea on extending the warranty, they usually pay for themselves
Completely false.

All factory and non-factory warranty/maintenance extension plans are DESIGNED (by professional mathematicians - Actuarials to be exact) to pay off in favor of the seller of the product. Thus on average (i.e. for most people) the total payment to the plan will exceed the total outlayed by the provider. If this was not the case the company would simply go out of business.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i only average about 6000 per year and passed on both.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
+1. IMHO the extended warranty is a suckers bet.
Even given my understanding of the likely loss, I did purchase an extended warranty plan. Our engines are pretty high tech and high strung. I really would not want to come up with $25k or so if I happened to have any major engine problems. I felt similarly about engine controls, that is probably a few grand. Even knowing I will most probably lose money I just wanted the coverage for any huge dollar issues, which of course I know are unlikely.

Anyway my point was that not that one should not buy such plane, one should just know exactly how they are priced. There certainly are exceptions to the rules and there will be many folks who have their reimbursed costs > or even >> total payments.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Completely false.
Unless you own an Audi. In that case, buy two.

: P
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Send a PM to GOLFFRR, who works at an M-certified dealership in California. He may be able to get you a deal on an extended warranty and maintenance plan:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623286
OP just shoot Checa, Ryan's assistant an email at fortiz@stevethomasbmw.com and let her know your a forum member and what your looking for (along with Vin#) and she will get you a quote on any warranty or maint plan.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Im almost up too. While the obvious things like brakes, fluids, clutch etc have been mentioned, I think some of you are forgetting the electrical system. While I like to work on my car as much as the next guy, having a problem that is setting off codes and putting your car into limp mode can become very expensive.

I went through an O2 sensor carousel that had me to the dealer 5 times in a year. I'm still convinced that they were just taking a shotgun-approach, but when it comes to the DME im not sure anyone knows any better than what the computer tells them. I had my O2 sensors replaced twice, cats replaced, DME and harness replace, plus an ignition coil or two, and a couple of other misc items im forgetting now. I totaled up all the parts on Tischer, added up the labor hours, and it came to about 9k. I havent had any problems for over a year, so I guess they fixed it. Looking back, maybe all of that work wasnt necessary, as it was just an O2 sensor, but if the car keeps going into limp mode, your forced to try other things.

So, yeah, it kind of scares me that it could happen again. Parts, sure I can tackle that myself, or use a local shop. Electrical; I dont feel as if an independent shop would do any better at trying to trouble shoot CEL codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Altos View Post
...I think some of you are forgetting the electrical system...
Absolutely, the engine computer and electrical were definitely big factors contributing to my playing the sucker bet with a warranty extension!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
burberry
Caffeine Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

how much did they quote you guys for warranty extension? I just went in for servicing today and was reminded that my warranty will end in about half a year. They've quoted me 7k for CPO, and 10-11k for full warranty including maintenance...

Oh , it's a 3 year 50k plan....

Last edited by burberry; 03-20-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ BMW plans are a huge rip off. Much better options exist through independent providers. Which providers are authorized to do business in which states does seem to vary quite widely though.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
mendez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

You are right....They are other options besides BMW extended warranties... The dealer sold me an EasyCare Extended Warranty, its around $3.5K for 24Kmiles/2yrs....You can extend the millage if you like, The only bad thing is the deductible.....But covers everything! Engine, Trans, Electrical, Rims, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
^ BMW plans are a huge rip off. Much better options exist through independent providers. Which providers are authorized to do business in which states does seem to vary quite widely though.
Appreciate 0