BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

02-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #133
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
A not so nice move to post these links. None the less it was a quite interesting read.

I'm willing to give foot the benefit of the doubt.

Best regards, south
I think it was very nice, provided some perspective.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #134
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfisher View Post
each car has different characteristics, and I think it's going to appeal to different people. I'd rather compare a RS5 to the M3.

the only edge the current Audi's will have over the M3 is the AWD. We'll see how the performance is on the RS5 when it comes out. I'm looking forward to driving one.
You are quite right, the RS5 is the M3's direct rival and is the car most people will think of when considering an alternative to purchasing an M3, but the only reason I felt the TT-RS would be a valid alternative to the M3 is the fact the when you compare the RS4 to the M3 you can feel the added response and agility of the M3 chassis that you don't get with the RS4, the same was true of the S5 so I doubt the RS5 will improve this to the point that it will feel as good as the M3 at this. Now on the other hand the TT-S is already better than the M3 at this, it feels more alive and given a bit more poke and attitude it could be an interesting car to take to the track and throw down a back road (i.e. the kind of thing one likes to do with their M3).

Clearly people's opinion here is that my suggestion that the TT could be an alternative as plain stupid, bad me. Maybe I will be the only M3 owner taking the test drive when it's released, I promise to post my opinions very quietly.

P.S.

Thanks South, your comments are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #135
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Footie,

I am curious about your reasons for purchasing an ///M3. You may have explained this in depth previously - and if so, please provide me links - but it would seem that Audi products do resonate with you (..which isn't a negative thing whatsoever). My curiousity stems from the fact that you seem to really enjoy Audi's product line, yet you chose not to purchase any of their offerings. Care to elaborate?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #136
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Footie,

I am curious about your reasons for purchasing an ///M3. You may have explained this in depth previously - and if so, please provide me links - but it would seem that Audi products do resonate with you (..which isn't a negative thing whatsoever). My curiousity stems from the fact that you seem to really enjoy Audi's product line, yet you chose not to purchase any of their offerings. Care to elaborate?
I would gladly explain the reasons for purchasing the M3, it was the only product that meet my requirements and was currently available in the UK, with the possibly exception being the C63 which I have spoke on other threads about.

I love the M3 I have spoke that from the moment I got it and continue to do so but for some reason everyone here reckon you need to accept all of their products as the best and disregard everything else as crap. I do like BMW products but they are few, anything with the last numbers reading '35d', the same for the 123d but not the car only the engine, the M5 and in fact the 5 series in general, the X5 and the X6, oh and of course the 3 series above the level of the 325i.

The real surprise to people is I have owned only one more Audi product than I have BMW which to me doesn't speak 'FANBOY' for Audi products, though I would say that at the moment there is more good Audi products on sale than BMW, I personally reckon the worst thing to happen to BMW was Bangle and now he's gone things should look up.

Like Attila I too considered the TT-S but it wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted, everything else was spot on but the performance and I am one who will never tune a car, never have and never will unless it's for competition purposes.

At the time I laid the deposit for the M3 the choices open to me were the TT-S, I already had the S5 and though the RS6 was due I would have never threw that much into a car so the logical option open to me was to sit tight or switch brands to a product that this time round I actually liked.

It's not hard to understand.

P.S.

Probably if the S5 had been offered with the Sportsdiff then I would have stuck with the car but it's handling and balance in the form I owned did not come close to matching the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #137
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I would gladly explain the reasons for purchasing the M3, it was the only product that meet my requirements and was currently available in the UK, with the possibly exception being the C63 which I have spoke on other threads about.

I love the M3 I have spoke that from the moment I got it and continue to do so but for some reason everyone here reckon you need to accept all of their products as the best and disregard everything else as crap. I do like BMW products but they are few, anything with the last numbers reading '35d', the same for the 123d but not the car only the engine, the M5 and in fact the 5 series in general, the X5 and the X6, oh and of course the 3 series above the level of the 325i.

The real surprise to people is I have owned only one more Audi product than I have BMW which to me doesn't speak 'FANBOY' for Audi products, though I would say that at the moment there is more good Audi products on sale than BMW, I personally reckon the worst thing to happen to BMW was Bangle and now he's gone things should look up.

Like Attila I too considered the TT-S but it wasn't powerful enough for what I wanted, everything else was spot on but the performance and I am one who will never tune a car, never have and never will unless it's for competition purposes.

At the time I laid the deposit for the M3 the choices open to me were the TT-S, I already had the S5 and though the RS6 was due I would have never threw that much into a car so the logical option open to me was to sit tight or switch brands to a product that this time round I actually liked.

It's not hard to understand.

P.S.

Probably if the S5 had been offered with the Sportsdiff then I would have stuck with the car but it's handling and balance in the form I owned did not come close to matching the M3.
I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #138
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Call it "the irony of Joe". One argumentative individual car loyalist (not even a brand loyalist as he bashes cars from the brand that makes the one he idolizes as supreme) whose been banned from several websites (including this one then is allowed to come back) and starts calling someone else a fanboy is quite funny and classic at the same time.

Good points Footie, but I don't particularly feel the TT-RS will be a M3 competitor. Honestly, it's more of a Z4 competitor. And until (if) BMW makes a new Z4M the TT-RS doesn't really have a direct competitor in the BMW ranks.
Personally, until Audi starts to make RWD cars, it's hard to cross shop any of the cars with BMW.
Most lovers of BMW's RWD performance cars, won't consider AWD cars.

I also agree a RS5 would be the closest "competitor" to the M3 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #139
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Call it "the irony of Joe". One argumentative individual car loyalist (not even a brand loyalist as he bashes cars from the brand that makes the one he idolizes as supreme) whose been banned from several websites (including this one then is allowed to come back) and starts calling someone else a fanboy is quite funny and classic at the same time.
I didn't know that, not that is makes any difference to me.

Quote:
Good points Footie, but I don't particularly feel the TT-RS will be a M3 competitor. Honestly, it's more of a Z4 competitor. And until (if) BMW makes a new Z4M the TT-RS doesn't really have a direct competitor in the BMW ranks.
Personally, until Audi starts to make RWD cars, it's hard to cross shop any of the cars with BMW.

I never did say it was to most logic competitor to the M3, only that it's (suggested) performance stats looked close and unless you require the rear space it could be classed as the only Audi rival until the RS5 arrives in a year or two and after driving the TT-S and knowing how much Audi improved the RS4 over the average S4 then it might just give the M3 a much harder time than anyone here can imagine, meaning the M3 won't get much peace until the RS5 arrives.

I doubt Audi will ever make a production car in rwd, for over 25 years it's doggedly stuck to Quattro and the most logical car to ever receive a rwd chassis was the R8 and even it stuck with Quattro. I myself don't view rwd as the only way to enjoy motoring, it is great fun and the M3 (when dry) really does shine and show this setup at it's best but I have had equally as much fun in quattro cars, less in the dry and more in the wet. Call it swings and roundabouts.

hkz786 usually posts the most up to date info on Audi models so maybe he knows the spec of the RS5, but if it gets a scaled down version of the RS6 (example: 4.0TT) then the only area where the M3 will stand a chance is in the corners because even the mighty C63 will be struggling to stay with such an engine on the straights.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #140
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

While Joe's style could be misconstrued or interpreted as argumentative/abrasive by some, I don't personally view it that way. He's no more (..or less) passionate than footie, southlight, ruff, Bruce or any of the other members who express polarizing viewpoints and who often disagree or engage in long-winded responses to one another. I'm the same way when a discussion centers around law enforcement for obvious reasons. I haven't personally witnessed Joe using expletives or other generally demeaning terminology, and I do feel that he has been banned prematurely at times (..RS6.com being a prime example). All of the above mentioned members (..plus some who weren't mentioned) are anchors within this community because of their knowledge and contributions to this forum. I appreciate all of them for the variety that they bring to Bimmerpost.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #141
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I thought that sticky had only come to a 'sticky' end (not pun intended) on the RS6.COM website, I was surprised that it happened on others including this one too. I agree that the RS6 mods were a bit hasty with the ban but considering how laid back this forum is I am surprised that he got banned here too. I can't imagine what he must have done.

It's great that bans here are lifted and people can reform. Myself, I enjoy sticky's debates which are very informative at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #142
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It isn't a matter of allowed to come back, as you incorrectly pointed out, banned is thrown around rather hastily in place of "timeout."

Bashing? It is called reality, some people don't deal with it well. Footie IS a huge Audi fan, period.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #143
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
It isn't a matter of allowed to come back, as you incorrectly pointed out, banned is thrown around rather hastily in place of "timeout."

Bashing? It is called reality, some people don't deal with it well. Footie IS a huge Audi fan, period.
If you want to call me an Audi fan, then fine, what ever makes you happy.

But the last time I looked there is an M3 in my driveway and that doesn't sound like FANBOY material to me. Also with the exception of my dislike for the M6 and making comments like the TT-RS could be a real rival to the M3 and the S4 appears to be a better car than the 335i, I have not being bashing too many BMWs since I joined.

I openly admit I like Audis, I bet many here feel the same but I don't see you taking swings at them too, most people are interested in the brands they have owned, especially the ones most recent and I am no different, that is why I post mostly of either the ones about the M3 and the ones relating to Audis, I seldom post on one about American cars because I know little about them.

So for fuck sake, lay off my case.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #144
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But the last time I looked there is an M3 in my driveway and that doesn't sound like FANBOY material to me. Also with the exception of my dislike for the M6 and making comments like the TT-RS could be a real rival to the M3 and the S4 appears to be a better car than the 335i, I have not being bashing too many BMWs since I joined.

I openly admit I like Audis, I bet many here feel the same but I don't see you taking swings at them too, most people are interested in the brands they have owned, especially the ones most recent and I am no different, that is why I post mostly of either the ones about the M3 and the ones relating to Audis, I seldom post on one about American cars because I know little about them.

So for fuck sake, lay off my case.
You can be a fanboy and purchase other cars. I mean, phrase it how you want.

I wouldn't expect you to bash BMW's or use the same tone you did on RS6. It is very clear it has changed as if it didn't you would be a hypocrite.

I'm not on your case Footie, just providing perspective. Others probably did not realize you spend all your time on the Audi forum and have spent a lot of time criticizing BMW in particular. The M3 stuff being the most amusing, you winding up with one after all.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #145
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Interesting...

I have always found Foot's pro Audi and anti BMW bias curiously at odds with his excessive time spent here in this forum and ultimately with his choice to buy an M3. Whether it is pro quattro, pro AWD, pro anything Audi combined with anti BMW, anti M, anti M-DCT, etc. his opinions are clear in considering the entirety of his posts. Don't get me wrong I like Audi quite well myself. I like all GOOD cars. But my preference for BMW (pretty much BMW M only) is evident as well, hence I mostly hang out here. I don't understand how one could choose to buy a car like the M3 and still spend so much time bashing it. Sure foot, you have praise for it as well but much more outright bashing than I can understand. Oh well, it takes all types...

BTW, I can not believe the incredibly low tolerance of the mods over at rs6.com. REALLY different than here.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #146
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Good to see a few of the old guard paying the obligatory visit. Their hiatus has been a bit too protracted. The forum is in need of a Naloxone injection.
      02-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #147
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
swamp,

Please highlight my posts that have been negative to the M3 or any other BMW other than the M6. Sure I am pro-awd and I openly admit that, much of this is down to the climate I happen it live in and partly down to the fact I have gotten over my interest in motorsport and no longer look for the next corner to throw the tail.

I can't believe the witch hunt that is going on here, for someone to buy an M3 and hopefully bring decent knowledge and worth while debates and get picked on because he doesn't constantly sing the praises of all things BMW. Swamp you are unconditionally pro-BMW to the point that anything said against it you are up in arms, you are not very objective.

I am getting really sick of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #148
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
swamp,

Please highlight my posts that have been negative to the M3 or any other BMW other than the M6. Sure I am pro-awd and I openly admit that, much of this is down to the climate I happen it live in and partly down to the fact I have gotten over my interest in motorsport and no longer look for the next corner to throw the tail.

I can't believe the witch hunt that is going on here, for someone to buy an M3 and hopefully bring decent knowledge and worth while debates and get picked on because he doesn't constantly sing the praises of all things BMW. Swamp you are unconditionally pro-BMW to the point that anything said against it you are up in arms, you are not very objective.

I am getting really sick of this.
Footie, I can see traveling outside the closed minded Audi board can be tough. Dealing with people who can think for themselves and not just swallow every piece of drivel as if it was gospel must be shocking.

Take a breath and enjoy yourself. I don't like seeing my best friend upset.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #149
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I don't know what these pointless arguments are about. If I wanted a C63 I'd walk into the dealer and slap the cash on the table, if I wanted a RS4 I'd walk into an Audi dealer and slap my cash on the table. So freaking what?

A friend of mine from the US just took delivery of a GTR, he was giving it stick that its faster than a M3 etc. I said to him I might sell my M3 and buy 2 lol

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #150
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I don't know what these pointless arguments are about. If I wanted a C63 I'd walk into the dealer and slap the cash on the table, if I wanted a RS4 I'd walk into an Audi dealer and slap my cash on the table. So freaking what?

A friend of mine from the US just took delivery of a GTR, he was giving it stick that its faster than a M3 etc. I said to him I might sell my M3 and buy 2 lol

Neil.
If we didn't have any of the pointless arguments this would be quite a desolate place.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #151
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Foot, you have made a mistake here by defending yourself, or even replying at all.

Sticky contributes content and color, but also for whatever reason gets mean-spirited from time to time. In this case he "accuses" you of really liking Audis.

What?

The wonder is that others bothered to even comment on this, especially since there's an M3 parked at your place.

Who in his right mind would give a flying damn?

I read some of a pointed-to thread out of curiosity, and found reasoned responses from you, though I admit I got bored and lost interest before getting through the entire session. Perhaps you went completely crazy and confessed to a sexual attraction to Quattro after I nodded off?

No matter.

My advice (which costs you nothing and can therefore be valued however you like) is that, next time Sticky gets one of his down times when he feels the need to attack, remember that silence can be a weapon.

Bruce

PS - I like Audis too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #152
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
If we didn't have any of the pointless arguments this would be quite a desolate place.

no it wouldn't it would be about helping other car owners get the most out of what they have.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #153
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Is there any Audi production car of recent years to be top of its class in road racing/AX? What's gonna be different with another nose heavy AWD?

Usually Audis just keep up with BMW's in racing,I have more respect for Porsche,Mazda,Nissan etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #154
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Footie, I can see traveling outside the closed minded Audi board can be tough. Dealing with people who can think for themselves and not just swallow every piece of drivel as if it was gospel must be shocking.
Let me see if that makes sense: You say Audi boards are closed minded as the people there only can praise their cars. Now we're bothering Footie for still finding and pointing out weak points of the M3 (we don't have to agree on these points as I wouldn't regarding the regular AWD/RWD argument myself, but also an opinion one doesn't share is valuable to me).
So all you're blaming him for is not being as closed minded as the guys over at rs6.com?
Really makes sense...

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0