BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

Thoughts on 2011 Mercedes G55 AMG

What is your guys' take on it?

Some people think it's supposed to be some 'practical' SUV in the sense of price.

What I want to know is how good it would be as a daily driver in the city and stuff. Yes, I know it's stupidly expensive but it sure looks like it has a lot of great features + upgrades.

I think I could haul stuff if I wanted to (I don't), and I can carry 4 people (Someone said it's smaller than the new cherokee, but who the hell cares that thing is too big!).

I think something like this instead of a used r8 v10 would be a better idea. (R8 v10 daily driver in Canada isn't bad at all, apparently. I'd expect Audi to deliver on a winter supercar like NISSAN.

Why not put this thing in the mix for "supervehicle"? It's got to be the best SUV out there. It's got enough size, enough capacity, good interior, a handbuild engine that is supposed to define 'man'.

All of that in a vehicle seems to be a good idea, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
One128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i (sold), 06' MX-5

Hell, if I had that kind of money, I'd get a Porsche Cayenne.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hondas View Post
Was never a fan of Gelandewagen Mercedes.. so have to agree with you on this one. I'd take Cayenne Turbo over G55 AMG anyday
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

would be a great daily driver depending on how well you put up with little noises and a not so comfortable ride. other then that, it's great. we have both a cayenne turbo and G55. both very different rides and great in their own ways. love the shocked faces of certain cars when they get beat by a big box
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
would be a great daily driver depending on how well you put up with little noises and a not so comfortable ride. other then that, it's great. we have both a cayenne turbo and G55. both very different rides and great in their own ways. love the shocked faces of certain cars when they get beat by a big box
You're exactly the kind of person I would love to ask about how it commutes.

How are the seats and stuff like that? I'm a decently tall guy (6'2) but I'm not too heavy.

I don't mind noises, as long as the sound system is good. I like hearing a bit of the car I drive. It'd be an added bonus if it has as good of a sound as some people are saying.

I'm not an offroader or hardcore "spirited driver". Is this thing a decent enough driver in the city? I am only concerned about rollover and stuff. How about handling/agility in general?

Again, I'm not looking for a tank to handle like an r8v10. I'm looking for it to handle at least a bit better than it appears though, lol. I'm not expecting Cayenne Turbo performance in any aspect. I'd be buying this car more for what it is than anything else.

It is truly a looker in my opinion. It looks like it is quite versatile too.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
You're exactly the kind of person I would love to ask about how it commutes.

How are the seats and stuff like that? I'm a decently tall guy (6'2) but I'm not too heavy.

I don't mind noises, as long as the sound system is good. I like hearing a bit of the car I drive. It'd be an added bonus if it has as good of a sound as some people are saying.

I'm not an offroader or hardcore "spirited driver". Is this thing a decent enough driver in the city? I am only concerned about rollover and stuff. How about handling/agility in general?

Again, I'm not looking for a tank to handle like an r8v10. I'm looking for it to handle at least a bit better than it appears though, lol. I'm not expecting Cayenne Turbo performance in any aspect. I'd be buying this car more for what it is than anything else.

It is truly a looker in my opinion. It looks like it is quite versatile too.
the seats are great. i'm 6'0 and couldn't ask for more. i doubt you'll be sitting in the rear much but if you do, it's actually pretty cool; you sit a little higher then the driver and passenger.

the exhaust is really really badass to be honest. it has that deep rumble and your neighbors will know you're coming home. i mean it's not obnoxiously loud at all, but it DOES have that rumble. plus the whine of the supercharger is addicting . the sound system itself is ok. great treble but not much bass.

handling is the same as any other bigger/higher SUV. you definitely feel the weight shifting around (similar to a land rover LR3 or escalade). though it does handle better then those two. but like you said, you can't really expect r8 v10 handling . the cayenne turbo is more of a turn friendly car.

overall i think it's a great daily driver. there's not too much to note that is a negative, other then the little creaks here and there. but really, that doesn't bother me at all.

i like the way it looks. there's a reason they've kept the design for 20+ years. it's a timeless look, just like the 911. some people love it, some people hate it - you can't satisfy everyone
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

I LOVE the G-wagen but the ride on the G55 is terribly stiff. G550 is more comfortable around town. The engine is switching to the new turbo unit next year. G55 is gone for 2012 and returns in 2013.

Last edited by CAPSGOD; 07-29-2011 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Would hate to see the depreciation rates on those things. Cool ass SUV but I think it's more of a purchase made with heart than logic. I second the Cayenne. Second-gen S/Turbo over any SUV imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
hate to see the depreciation rates on those things.
replace "those things" with "AMG"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

I really like the old school look it has
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #11
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

loooks like ass
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #12
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hondas View Post
The G55 is literally a box on wheels. Hideous. Cayanne Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

I have no idea how G55 drives but people don't mess with that car. Well, most of them don't. The reason being that our countries prime minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum owns it as his own beater.

Here's a pic
      07-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
McCartney
Private
Rep

Are you nuts? The car doesn't depreciate at all! There are so few that in Canada the 2010 G55 AMG i've seen cost 120! You can probably get it for cheaper than MSRP here, so you don't lose much for owning the thing for 2 years.

PLUS> If you buy a G55 AMG, are you buying it to sell or are you buying it because you want something that embodies "the modern man"? That's what this SUV is really all about. I love the look of it, and the interior is quite nice. Like I said, I'm not buying such a vehicle to be some sort of spirited driver.

This car would be my daily driver and it's down to a G55 AMG, R8 v10 (used) and I live in Canada. Yes I know driving an R8 in winter isn't what most people do, but to think the car can't handle canada's winter is ludicrous (it handles canada's winters quite well).

Are you sure the G55 AMG isn't discontinued after this year? That's what I have been reading, which makes me sort of sad.

The styling isn't for everyone. That being said: I am buying a vehicle that I feel symbolizes my personality, my drive, while also providing a ridiculous amount of amenities and performance. I am not going to start racing people with this thing, but I do want that power/sound for my own pleasure. I really love the old school look. I'm 23 and I love this thing so much. I remember seeing some guy drive it in a Hilary Duff movie when I was 16 and I loved it then too.

The "No brainer" for someone who wants a "performance SUV" is a Cayenne Turbo. But some people don't necessarily need all that performance in their SUV, and they would rather have something that is crazy versatile, looks awesome, and has some good power.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

The Cayenne turbo is just a better overall SUV in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Why don't you just get a Jeep Wrangler? Lulz
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

These Austrian made SUVs are great off-roaders. I personally wouldn't call them SUVs, but more like upscale performance off road vehicles.

They're unique in the segment. Any G Wagen is bought with emotion and not sensibility. I remember Richard Hammond saying that they are the coolest vehicle on the planet. There's definitely a lot of coolness factor. I work with film industry people and celebs and it's a popular choice for them, even if they'll never be off the road in their lives (well, maybe off the road unintentionally while weaving down the PCH after drinking at Nobu's or Moonshadows.)

Only downside is that they are a very stiff ride. And they aren't great for long distance driving. They can wear you out. But a good choice for a tank-like off roader providing you have other cars in your stable, imho. Maintenance and repair costs are way, way up there, so be prepared.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
They have a timeless look thats why i like them, kinda like H1 hummer!
      07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #19
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I agree it's a timeless design ... look at the ones from 10-20 years ago and they are not much different. I dig the look and think it's totally badass. Definitely not the most refined vehicle you can get (only so much you can do to a 1970's military vehicle).

I guess you have considered the BMW X5M/X6M? Or the ML63 AMG?
      07-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #20
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
I have no idea how G55 drives but people don't mess with that car. Well, most of them don't. The reason being that our countries prime minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum owns it as his own beater.

Here's a pic
Boy, that thing is UGLY!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
the G-class is the only Mercedes that retains its value. it is insane how well they hold their value actually. You can find G55's with 30k on them going for just under $100k
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #22
McCartney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I agree it's a timeless design ... look at the ones from 10-20 years ago and they are not much different. I dig the look and think it's totally badass. Definitely not the most refined vehicle you can get (only so much you can do to a 1970's military vehicle).

I guess you have considered the BMW X5M/X6M? Or the ML63 AMG?
I'm not after a performance SUV, per se. I think the Cayenne Turbo, X*M and ML63 AMG SUVs are nice for people who want a "luxury performance SUV". I don't care that the G loses in slaloms to those SUVS. Those SUVs are too chachi for me, sorry. h

The G caught my eye for the very reason people mention: It looks great, it is decently FAST (fast != performs great), good interior, 4x4, and it really holds its value.

Regarding the long distance driving, I don't do much long distance driving. If I bought this bad boy I definitely wouldn't be afraid to drive long distance. What is deemed uncomfortable for long rides? I'm not super fussy when it comes to comfort in a vehicle because I sit in a ghetto chair of some form for some hours of my day.

Regarding built with emotion: Exactly. It's built by a man who is hoping it ends up in the hands of another man. I want a vehicle that was built with "man love"; a passion for our gender that most men in today's world fail to understand.

To me, the G class doesn't need an exterior overhaul because it's built for the man who understand what it is like to be a man. If a man understands how to be one (that's not true at all in today's world), then he can appreciate what this vehicle symbolizes. It's about how even the best of men can still be rough around the edges, but have the ability to handle a lot of what comes their way. Sometimes it may not be the smoothest ride, but he'll get it done. Just like the G will.

To me, it's rare to evoke such an emotional reaction about a vehicle. But when I look at it, I simply ask myself one question: If you are a proud male who hopes to one day provide for his family the best way he knows how, and you want people to know that you're confident that "your way" can succeed, how does this vehicle not embody that?

That's why I love the G class. It's for a certain kind of guy: Proud, persistent, confident, intelligent, refined. Kind of like a male lion.
Appreciate 0