BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

09-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
RickE46M3
SHWSTPR
United_States
Rep
Drives: Accord, SRT-4

What do you guys know about Saab Viggens?

Alright well I am in search for something with decent power and capable handling. I want a car that looks nice and is built with nice materials inside and out. A car that I can play with, maybe modify and when I am done being tearing up on ramps, down off ramps, taking my turns hard and shifting alot... I can take a late night trip back to my house after being out and not be annoyed with boy racer crap like my SRT-4s stiff suspension set up, insanely loud exhaust and cheap feel. Am I asking for too much or can a Saab Viggen do just that for me? I LOVE that blue color they offer the car in. I am also deeply concerned with reliability, it is important to me... this will be my daily driver and I need something that can take my style of driving, not be tempermental and finicky... a nice car that I can count on as well as play with. These SEEM to be the all around package, and Saab before GM is always better if buying one at all. Whatta ya think? Heres a picture of one I found... I think they look pretty sharp, and with some aftermarket touch... even better. My budget is $13000 max

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

lol always thought the saab viggens are jet fighters?
      09-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
IS2000
Private First Class
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i/ 2003 EVO8

A lot of torque steer. The built quality was also not that very good.
      09-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

I was always interested in buying one new...the common complaint amongst all reviewers was the torque steer...too much torque feeding through the front wheels without a capable AWD setup or differential.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I've always wanted a Viggen too.

Not sure on the Viggen reliablility, but my dad's had two Saabs (both 9.5s, one pre GM, one post GM) and never had an issue with either.
      09-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Huge torque steer issue makes the car basically undriveable at WOT.

They also no longer bring them over to NA (I'm not even sure if they make them anymore).

The 2008 9-3 with the V6 makes more Hp than the Viggens used to (265 now). Initial reviews say torque steer is low - I am suspicious of any such claims when so much Hp goes to the front wheels only-the only way to do this is to have the anti-skid cut in constantly or have a lazy steering on center (takes the feeling of the torque away from the driver)-none of which are acceptable compromises to me personally.

Build quality is not very good for SAABs, lots of electrical problems, interior cabin quality is up to GM standards (speaks for itself...).
Appreciate 0