BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #661
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

I'm late to the party, but I drove in a 600hp GTR and was bored out of my mind.

Absolutely zero emotion to it. A 600hp E92 which I've also driven in gave me a wood quicker than you can say wheelspin at 80mph

I'd consider a GTR if I was constantly pulling other cars on the highway and did not value driving enjoyment. Performance != driving enjoyment
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #662
Lucrecio84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: TTE92 m3/ F10 CP M5

I was going through the same dilemma and from what I've been hearing is that the GTR isn't that fun to drive and gets boring. No manual = no fun. Sure its stupid fast but even a 12 year old little boy can get behind the wheel of a GTR and drive it. Not a manual.... Hence why I orders a 13' LSB m3 in MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #663
WRXXX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG M3 (SOLD), '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm late to the party, but I drove in a 600hp GTR and was bored out of my mind.

Absolutely zero emotion to it. A 600hp E92 which I've also driven in gave me a wood quicker than you can say wheelspin at 80mph

I'd consider a GTR if I was constantly pulling other cars on the highway and did not value driving enjoyment. Performance != driving enjoyment
Driving an '02 330Ci bored me out of my mind. Obviously you did not really drove a GT-R properly. Because if you did, its quite exhilarating. The robotic feel obviously comes from people who drive it leisurely on the public road. Once you open it up on a closed circuit, that's a whole different story.

Sorry to be picking on you twice but you seem to know crap yet shoot your mouth off for no reason. Same for your RS5 comment.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #664
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

just spent a weekend up at tail of the dragon with my GTR

anyone who says they dont enjoy driving them didnt push it hard enough

8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #665
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

no fun to drive they say. i lol at that comment

8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #666
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
Girl: what do you drive?
You: BMW
Girl: wow, nice car. Btw, can we hang out tonight?

After you trade your car in and buy a GTR
Girl: what do you drive?
You: Nissan
Girl: oh, my mom drives Nissan too. Oh I'm in hurry, see you next time.
Girls will be surprised when they are expecting 350z/370z but then they see a gtr. Will be more excited then they know you drive a BMW and see you got an m3.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #667
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBomber View Post
no fun to drive they say. i lol at that comment

no doubt a $150k GT-R must be fun to drive, but a I'm sure a $150k anything is also!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #668
BYOB
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i RWD MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t
Guys... please, I'm begging you all... somehow talk me out of a GT-R ... ever since I sat in a friend's GTR a month ago, I've gone crazy.. I keep having GT-R dreams and keep thinking of selling my M3 to get the new 2012 GTR...

From the logical point of view -

its the stupidest thing I could do .. I just bought my M3 less than a year ago. I've put in a few mods into it already. Pure cash-wise, I can sell the M3 and get a GT-R.. but I would be taking a obvious hit... I also know the GTR is more expensive to maintain (but not much more... several maint. myth's are floating around the net).. and it would be more expensive to run on the track...

Emotionally -

I'm in love ... Every few days I get the GTR fever and then make plans to stop driving the M3 and then sell it ... then I start to reason logically and somehow get out of the emotional state.... the GTR is a beast... the acceleration .. BRUTAL! .. the looks .. AGGRESSIVE!... damn!! .. I keep thinking .. I can get one now.. its almost within reach...

sob!

also one word of advice - do not drive/or sit in a GTR! .. until you're ready to buy one..
Damn....should've read this before I sat in one while the seller was ripping it.... :'(
      06-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #669
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

This thread is an EPIC SAGA! It has it all! Love, loss, conflict, bitterness, anger, regret, and redemption! Lol

Congrats to OP on the existential journey.

I went from EvoX to modded EvoX to GTR to modded GTR to stock 996 C2 to stock E92M for very different reasons than the OP, but share many of the conclusions of some of the posters here.

For me what drove me away, and has kept me away, from the GTR was a combination of the horrifically bad dealer experience and the fact that the car just never quite clicked with me enough to justify having that kind of cash sitting in it. Hence I sold it, got the M, and put money back in the bank for a change

The dealer thing is big for me... I really got tired of it with my Vette, the NSXs I've owned and the Mitsubishi.

Not interested in being convinced I'm wrong, should be using indy's or doing my own wrenching either. Everyone values different things and being able to bring the car in to a nicely set up shop with nice customer spaces and always get a clean loaner without having to call Nissan NA and prove I'm owed one (yes, that happened, lol) is a big deal to me.

Rolling into the average Nissan dealer wearing the equivalent of a sign that screams "I have too much $$$" and then hanging in the DMV level waiting room with people driving 100k mi Sentras glaring at you gets old too... Lol

Regular marques that produce these weird quasi exotic outliers *always* fuck it up and mishandle the entire experience imo. And yes I am sure there are people who LOVE their Nissan and Chevy dealers and despise BMW dealers. Different strokes

For me the times I've owned BMW (5 of those and a Mini), Benz (1 of those) and porsche (2 of those) the ownership experience has been a great one from the first sales call straight through to the end. With Nissan it took me MONTHS to be allowed to even sit in one (I had a dealer run a CREDIT check to OPEN the car... No joke) and when I finally bought it was at a PORSCHE dealer who tossed me the keys on a recent trade. Says a lot IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #670
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
Regular marques that produce these weird quasi exotic outliers *always* fuck it up and mishandle the entire experience imo. And yes I am sure there are people who LOVE their Nissan and Chevy dealers and despise BMW dealers. Different strokes
Interestingly enough, I think at the time they brought the GTR to America, there was a strong sentiment to sell it as an Infiniti, but I think Carlos Ghosn insisted it be sold as a Nissan here, in an attempt to make it a halo for the brand. In the earlier days, the gap to the next Nissan wasn't quite as bad, but now that they've pushed up the starting price to ~$100k, it's pretty bad when the next most expensive Nissan starts at around ~$42k. I think part of the problem is the independent dealer network in the US, which gives the manufacturers much less quality control over the dealerships.
      06-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #671
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
The dealer thing is big for me... I really got tired of it with my Vette, the NSXs I've owned and the Mitsubishi.

Rolling into the average Nissan dealer wearing the equivalent of a sign that screams "I have too much $$$" and then hanging in the DMV level waiting room with people driving 100k mi Sentras glaring at you gets old too... Lol
Having owned 2 Evos, I can relate to the dealership experience .. or lack of.

The dealers are simply not set up to work on the level of cars that the manufacturer is selling. The dealers are set up to sell inexpensive cars that require basic service - not the high tech turbocharged, torque-vectoring AWD cars that they are selling. There are lots of misdiagnosed problems, technician errors and issues that the dealer is incapable to resolve.

The only solution is going to a good independent shop that specializes in Evos. If there is one near you, then you are in luck. Otherwise, good luck finding a shop which can fix your car if you have an issue. The good thing about my Evos is that it never had any problems so I never needed to go to the dealer but I can see if you had to go, you would run into some serious walls.

And yes, you do miss the luxury car service that you get at a luxury car brand service center. Loaners are definitely not available as is the coffee and nice waiting areas new BMW owners take for granted.
      06-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #672
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I looked at getting a new GTR before I bought the M3. The car's performance speaks for itself. Its design is polarizing, I like it, but it is not the most beautiful car out there. The price does seem to keep creeping up. Also, when I went to the dealership in Manassas they were not interested in getting me the color that I wanted, and they were not interested in dealing on anything regarding the price. That, coupled with being told that the only loaner I would get would be an Altima or a car from Enterprise, and the sales manager wearing a referee shirt (March Madness) all cinched it for me. At least when I buy a Porsche, Audi, Lexus, MB, Volvo, Acura, or BMW they don't treat me like total trash (some still better than others and actually Pohanka Acura and Lexus were the only two that were terrible). I don't want to repeat a poor customer service experience over and over again when I have to get the car serviced.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #673
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Get a Gtr and post ashit load of vids on here. I'll be your number one fan
      06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #674
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
Get a Gtr and post ashit load of vids on here. I'll be your number one fan
178mph standing half mile pull

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #675
Mo0pie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Gray F82

Listen man.. If you've got the money for it and you like the car, do it. For the price and power it can't be beat. But just keep in mind it is a very numb car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #676
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0pie View Post
Listen man.. If you've got the money for it and you like the car, do it. For the price and power it can't be beat. But just keep in mind it is a very numb car.
the thread that refuses to die! lol! OP here and I've bought a GTR, tracked the shit out of my GTR, sold my GTR and back to a M3 which now I am proceeding to whip on the track .. but let me tell you .. the GTR is not numb.. On the track... it is a sledgehammer... it scares you shitless .. not numb ..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #677
Mo0pie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
the thread that refuses to die! lol! OP here and I've bought a GTR, tracked the shit out of my GTR, sold my GTR and back to a M3 which now I am proceeding to whip on the track .. but let me tell you .. the GTR is not numb.. On the track... it is a sledgehammer... it scares you shitless .. not numb ..
yet... you're back in the M
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #678
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
I think he means it's numb unless you push it and I have to agree on the track it's fun. Everyday driving your driving the ugliest interior you can buy for a 100k. I just don't like how Nissan doesn't stand behind thier product. I know one of the guys they tried to screw on the whole tranny issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #679
Mo0pie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I think he means it's numb unless you push it and I have to agree on the track it's fun. Everyday driving your driving the ugliest interior you can buy for a 100k. I just don't like how Nissan doesn't stand behind thier product. I know one of the guys they tried to screw on the whole tranny issue.
^^ couldn't have said it any better
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #680
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
The whole transmission thing has been completely overblown.

Of those documented tranny failures, a good number of them were replaced by warranty on cars that had modifications (including tune).

I have had zero tranny problems in my car and even when my car fell out of warranty and something broke with the stupid Smartkey ignition system, an $800 part, Nissan still picked up the bill.
I'm telling you it has not. I know someone that was effected by it. Also yes it was fixed like many others after a class action lawsuit. I'm happy yours never broke as Nissan might've have tried the same thing for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #681
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

For the most part the tranny issues have been dealt with fairly. If a known problem occurs that results in failure, Nissan will warranty, as they did when my tranny failed. I went to the dealer with plenty of mods and yet didn't hesitate.
Appreciate 0