BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #23
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Start the car and free rev it might shoot out?

Back on topic, I did the same thing with my previous E53 X5 (I6 engine, so the engine is a lot roomier and not as full), couldn't find it at all so I removed the cover piece underneath the engine and it dropped right out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

That sucks...did you try taking out the entire air filter box to see better?

I changed mine to a Macht Schnell performance air filter the other day and had to take out the entire air filter box to put in the filter adapter...you may be able to see it if you remove it...maybe...I hope!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #25
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It actually ended up falling all the way through and was caught on the cat. All is well with the world now
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #26
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

There you go. Awesome!

I'm sure we've all done this at some point. I know I have. It's good that you found it and got it out of there.

At least we don't have the E46 M3 valve adjustment "Oops, I dropped something in the engine" worries
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #27
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
One of the best $20.00 spends you'll ever make:

Search on eBay for: endoscope usb cam lighted

Plug it in to a notebook PC, stick the snake-light/cam down wherever, and press the light switch. You'll be able to find anything that can be retrieved.

And if you can't see it, then you probably won't be able to retrieve it without removing components anyhow.

- V

How do I know this?

About a year ago, I stopped to buy oil for the M3, at a Dallas BMW dealership. My Dad, ever helpful, wanted to assist, despite my numerous "No, I got it." He unscrewed the oil cap and dropped it immediately. It completely disappeared. Two of the nice people from the Service Dept. came out -- but they couldn't find it. So they had it towed from the parking lot into the service bay, where they looked for it using a snake-light similar to this. They couldn't find it. Then they propped it up on a lift and found it.

Total time to pour in a 1/2 Qt of oil: 45 minutes. LOL

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #28
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Congrats on getting it out. Going forward, I would recommend a crow's foot for situations like this. That thing has saved me many a time when a magnet wouldn't have.

Also, no joke: Get your wife or girlfriend to help you if you ever drop something in the engine bay. My wife is an ace at pulling things out of the engine bay on the couple of occasions I dropped something in there. Usually, I'm so frustrated I'm not thinking clearly and she is able to go at it rationally. She's my dedicated closer who I call whenever I drop something in the bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
tinman831
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post

Plug it in to a notebook PC, stick the snake-light/cam down wherever, and press the light switch. You'll be able to find anything that can be retrieved.

And if you can't see it, then you probably won't be able to retrieve it without removing components anyhow.

- V

How do I know this?

About a year ago, I stopped to buy oil for the M3, at a Dallas BMW dealership. My Dad, ever helpful, wanted to assist, despite my numerous "No, I got it." He unscrewed the oil cap and dropped it immediately. It completely disappeared. Two of the nice people from the Service Dept. came out -- but they couldn't find it. So they had it towed from the parking lot into the service bay, where they looked for it using a snake-light similar to this. They couldn't find it. Then they propped it up on a lift and found it.

I had this happen once and it got wedged in between the headers. Took me FOREVER to find it because I thought it had bounced down to the bottom of the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #30
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post

Also, no joke: Get your wife or girlfriend to help you if you ever drop something in the engine bay. My wife is an ace at pulling things out of the engine bay on the couple of occasions I dropped something in there. Usually, I'm so frustrated I'm not thinking clearly and she is able to go at it rationally. She's my dedicated closer who I call whenever I drop something in the bay.
Now there is a foundation for a long and mutually supportive relationship, well done!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post

- V

How do I know this?

My dad is the same. We were replacing the air box in my old M3 and he dropped 2 screws. Made a 30 minute job into a two hour one -____-

Dad's... Gotta love em. One day, I hope to torture my son in a similar manner.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0