BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #45
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Not really sure what the point of this thread is either. It's a free country, and you can do whatever you want, but I sure as heck wouldn't go around advertising it. For every post of I drove on summer tires in the winter and survived, there seem to be a equal number of I tried and it didn't go so well. All it takes it one little spot of black ice or unexpected snow and it's probably game over. See the last few posts of "handles great in snow" in the main forum for an example of this.
x2, I drove in a blizzard from Chicago to Austin in PSS, 5-10mph max and the car was still all over the place. Was a disaster, never ever again. Had no choice at the time, had to get back to work and no one could get me snows in time. Hell, PSS don't even work properly when there is no snow out, just cold, they flat out suck in winter climates
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #46
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Last night on a wet road at 3C I still easily set off the hazard warning lights as part of the Brake Force display system. Gotta love those PSSs even when its cold and wet.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #47
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
With all due respect disagree about cold temperature performance. If road gets damp/wet in cold temps you are in trouble. Unexpected weather changes happen. But hey feel free to risk it seems silly to me given the $$$ investment you are driving. What is that cliche "penny wise and pound foolish".
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Have you run the PSS in the cold/wet?...I'm guessing no as its hard to imagine that anyone who had used these tyres wouldn't be seriously impressed just how much grip they give at low temps. Of course you have to drive to the road conditions - but luckily the car also does well at communicating the amount of grip there is.
I do get your point and I wouldn't want to encourage drivers to use the wrong tyres for their climatic conditions - I would suggest though that if your weather is borderline for winter tyres then a switch to the PSS is worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
im going to disagree here as well. ive driven both ad08s and nt01s at the track in semi damp and 30s temps. both of them have a lower relative grip than at warmer temps(to themselves) but still substantially more than the winter tire would. I actually prefer nt01s in this situation because even though there is less grip relative to its best dry performance they still outperform the ad08s in overall grip level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Last night on a wet road at 3C I still easily set off the hazard warning lights as part of the Brake Force display system. Gotta love those PSSs even when its cold and wet.
I want to point out something that may be missed on some of us viewing this thread. Those that are arguing that the PSS is "good in the cold" are talking about temperatures that really aren't that cold. SenorFunkyPants is quoting temperatures of 3C which is 37F; 1MOREMOD is talking about temperatures in "the 30's" on a track where tires can heat up after a few laps. Honestly that's not that cold.... The OP lives in Wisconsin where it gets as cold as -30F, yes that's negative 30F. I think our definitions of cold may vary on this thread. I would consider living without snows (or running all-seasons in the winter) if I lived in a climate that never got below 30F as long as I could park the car when/if it snowed. The OP's climate is far more harsh which is a different situation....
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #48
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Agreed. I wouldn't drive my ad08s in temps much below freezing. But op james is very budget minded, cheap, and likes to test his boundarys more than your average owner. I Do have conti dws on my x5 here even though snow is only couple weeks of the year usually.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-17-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #49
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
As I've said, mine are new. They are OK irregardless of temps down to -5. Even if the road is damp. You can survive light snow with no accumulation or just dusting on the street.

Better have a bus ticket or a tow truck if you try to drive in any kind of snow accumulation.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I drove a set of dunlop sportmax tires almost corded 60 miles each way in the snow for work for a week without incident. Except one.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #51
Justin Case
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-Performance

Got caught out coming back from holiday with PSS's. Unknown sat nav road which climbed altitude until 2inchs of snow on road. Back was squirming up the cambered inclines but the traction control was remarkable, keeping the back straight with very little effort on my behalf. Pulled over and what do I see coming towards me? An Aston Martin Rapide with a rather worried looking man behind the wheel lol.

Managed a 3 point turn to my surprise to safety. Cold weather, don't be an ass and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #52
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Lol I live in Kenosha.. PSS suck in the winter... I've had them on my 335i and m3. Both were bad

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0