BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #45
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveManM3 View Post
No kidding, a bunch of holier than thous screaming from their soap boxes.
You're right. That's exactly what's going on. Its a bunch of "holier than thous" screaming from a soap box. It has nothing to do with the reality that you could have seriously injured someone + yourself. I can say I will NEVER drive tail of the dragon or mulholland just for the fact that people do this. I mean, even driving like a regular person on this road is dangerous, because someone who wanted to get an AWESOME racing line (on a public road for christ sake) could come barreling into the side of your car.

I mean, my lord, have some respect for other people who drive the road to actually get somewhere. I cant express in words how stupid it is. If you saw me driving calmly on a road wearing a firesuit and a full racing helmet, you'd think I was an idiot. It's the same thing with pretending you're on the nurburgring when you're actually on a road that people regularly drive on
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #46
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
You're right. That's exactly what's going on. Its a bunch of "holier than thous" screaming from a soap box. It has nothing to do with the reality that you could have seriously injured someone + yourself. I can say I will NEVER drive tail of the dragon or mulholland just for the fact that people do this. I mean, even driving like a regular person on this road is dangerous, because someone who wanted to get an AWESOME racing line (on a public road for christ sake) could come barreling into the side of your car.

I mean, my lord, have some respect for other people who drive the road to actually get somewhere. I cant express in words how stupid it is. If you saw me driving calmly on a road wearing a firesuit and a full racing helmet, you'd think I was an idiot. It's the same thing with pretending you're on the nurburgring when you're actually on a road that people regularly drive on
What you're saying is not unreasonable, but perhaps in light of the fact that you have never (and will never) drive this road, you should give OP the benefit of the doubt when he says that the double yellow was not crossed without clear forward visibility.

Having just driven the Tail of the Dragon last spring, I can tell you that the road (unexpectedly) affords very clear forward visibility in many spots, and that forward visibility just does not come thru on video (I filmed my run as well). Some turns more resemble kinks, where putting a couple wheels over when there is no oncoming traffic presents very little risk. There are an equal number of blind corners where strict lane discipline should be followed, and to my eyes OP stayed put through these.

It's always a risk moving into the oncoming lane -- whether that's a legal pass on a country highway, or 2 wheels over on the Tail of the Dragon. But I know of legal passing zones that provide less forward visibility than some sections of the Tail of the Dragon. The road is a constant double yellow for obvious reasons -- passing there would likely be a disaster. But I think that it's a mistake to presume that because it's a double yellow means that crossing over at any point is reckless and creates imminent danger. For your consideration..

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #47
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

LM3's post above is the most balanced on this thread so far. I'm willing to give OP the benefit of the doubt because there are indeed stretches on the road where forward visibility is pretty good. but the regulars on this road move so fast that I can't tell you how many times I've taken my eyes of the mirror or checked my peripherals and in a split second, suddenly there's a motorcycle ahead or beind me. you might think it's safe but you could be wrong

some of the criticism of the OP is hysterically aggressive, but there is a good reason behind the don't cross the double yellow rule. I've spent a bit of time talking to the regulars and the people at the Deals Gap lodge and there's definitely a "code" of behavior on the tail - don't cross the yellow, always check your mirrors, pull aside immediately if you see faster traffic - - it's just prudent things to keep everyone safe. plus if a fatality occurs on the tail the cops will shut it all down fast and that one idiot ruins it for everyone.

just food for thought. I too have put two wheels over on occasion, and it is tempting to cut a 'racing' apex through the many kinks, because you can ideed see a decent stretch past them.

I just don't know if I would know the right thing to do if a 40-50 mph motorcycle suddenly appeared mid-apex. even if you both had some time to react, it might unsettle him so much that he goes off his bike and then he's probably just as dead.

final thought - I have always found the argument "like you've never gone fast before" the most idiotic comeback on car forums. just because many people have done the same stupid thing as you doesn't mean what you did is any less stupid. again, this is not directed at the OP
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

Nice video, good job!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #49
davmanm5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5 Stroker, 08 E92 M3

Garage List
I have had several PMs regarding the exhaust set up. So here it is. Very simple and possibly the most cost effective for a full cat(primary) back setup

X-Pipe 2ndary Catbypass Pipe with Resonators. The first one I ordered came in with a slight dent preventing a clean connection with the primary cats....they replaced and shipped overnight then followed up with a call to verify that all was good with the new part. Awesome service there at Fabspeed. I also have had there full exhaust setup on my 996 turbo which was simply ridiculous!
http://www.fabspeed.com/BMW.html

Blue Titanium tip Axle Back Exhaust(This thing weighs next to nothing) Extremely impressed by the quality of the welds etc on this.
http://www.meganracingexhaust.com/ax...-ABE-BE92M3-BT

Intake is a Macht Schnell
http://www.machtschnell.com/product/...rge-kit-e9x-m3

Next in line are some custom primary cat delete "test" pipes with exhaust cutouts for those occasions when I want it to make some real noise

A little less than $2K for the whole setup including installation and some welding on two of the exhaust couplings.l I am all about getting the best bang and performance for the buck, I could care less about who manufactures it names etc, that's all vanity shit! Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #50
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

How did you get the exhaust sound without wind noise?

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #51
davmanm5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5 Stroker, 08 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How did you get the exhaust sound without wind noise?

I Used a directional Mic on the rear of the car. If you have a GoPro you need to drill a hole into the housing where the Mic input is and just get a 10-15ft 1.5mm stereo extension cable to attach the Mic to the GoPro. Run the cable through the trunk to the mic and place the camera wherever you want.

I'll put up some detailed pics in the morning. Its certainly not high tech by any means
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #52
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveManM3 View Post
I Used a directional Mic on the rear of the car. If you have a GoPro you need to drill a hole into the housing where the Mic input is and just get a 10-15ft 1.5mm stereo extension cable to attach the Mic to the GoPro. Run the cable through the trunk to the mic and place the camera wherever you want.

I'll put up some detailed pics in the morning. Its certainly not high tech by any means
Thanks. Looking forward to it.
Could you also mention the mic used? It sounds totally clean.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #53
M6cabrio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White M6

OP, nice video! I am going to bring up an almost dead thread to throw my video of the dragon in here

I grew up in this area, and have driven these roads thousands of times. The dragon quite often as well. The locals...even in trucks, vans, suv's will cross the double when there is clear line of sight. Everyone does it, everyone knows we do it. What the "locals" don't want is people who are unfamiliar with mountain driving to cross the yellow. That is why they say not to do it. You would be amazed at the people who have never driven mountain roads before and then come to the dragon and try to go 100% all out. I think there can always be exceptions to the rule, and for the OP, he obviously knows the road well (like me) and can cross the double at certain times with no problems or danger to any person at all. I can also tell you that no one will drive this road unless they really want to. 80% of the time traffic is heavy and very slow so you can't drive spirited, there are no homes off the road, and it is the long way around to anywhere. So "normal" traffic doesn't frequent the dragon much unless they are lost or just wanted to see the area for some reason.

Anyway, with that said, here is my vid...and if anyone comes this way send me a PM and I will meet up with you and do a few runs if I am around the area.

11-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #54
mazspeed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 M3, 13' S1000RR

Nice! Went down there with my Miata for the Miatas at the Gap meet. Was a very fun and relaxing weekend. Would love to take the M3 down. Do they have some kind of BMW meets down there?
71' cl175 Scrambler
14' Honda Grom
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #55
M6cabrio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
Nice! Went down there with my Miata for the Miatas at the Gap meet. Was a very fun and relaxing weekend. Would love to take the M3 down. Do they have some kind of BMW meets down there?
M club of Atlanta goes a couple times a year. In the past other exotic car meets or bmw meets have happened but it is a hit or miss.
      11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #56
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I miss driving these roads. Living in North Carolina was a great experience. Thanks for the vid, man. The M3's V8 sounds awesome.
      11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #57
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
exhaust sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0