BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-29-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Top Gear review and Evo COTY review

Two new reviews, with contrasting opinions. No access to a scanner today so I hope the digital photos of the articles are clear enough.

Top Gear magazine suggests the M3 could be better but mentions 'superb job' and 'deeply impressive' -at odds with this they opt for sensational headlines -'Has BMW Blown It?' and 'The Reality Check'. Two short articles pitch it against the C63 and Cayman S - and the opposition gets the nod each time

By contrast, Evo's Car of the Year test is probably the most positive I've read. I've posted only a couple of small sections which are most relevant - the whole article covers 45 pages!!! I've also posted long term update on their long trem M3 which is in the same issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Interesting reads. Thanks for posting them up. The Evo was very supportive and was the latter in a bad news good news situation.

The Top Gear test surprised me a little because of their previous article reviewing the car mentioning that the engine was something Ferrari would be proud of. But their points also made sense, the V8 is AMG territory since they have been dropping them in many many AMG cars. I would be interested to see if Top Gear does yet another follow up review of the M3 a few months later on.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Interesting reads. Thanks for posting them up. The Evo was very supportive and was the latter in a bad news good news situation.

The Top Gear test surprised me a little because of their previous article reviewing the car mentioning that the engine was something Ferrari would be proud of. But their points also made sense, the V8 is AMG territory since they have been dropping them in many many AMG cars. I would be interested to see if Top Gear does yet another follow up review of the M3 a few months later on.

I wonder when it's going to be reviewed on the Top Gear program itself???
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

Top Gear magazine suggests the M3 could be better but mentions 'superb job' and 'deeply impressive' -at odds with this they opt for sensational headlines -'Has BMW Blown It?' and 'The Reality Check'.
Typical. Trying to sell mags by these sensational headlines.

Just hilarious how one mag rags on the gear change so hard and the other absolutely loves it. Know what that tells you.....nothing. Find out how you like it.

Last edited by Epacy; 11-29-2007 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
top gear is biased against BMW. do you guys remember the review of the M5? They dont praise any BMW as far as I know.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Typical. Trying to sell mags by these sensational headlines.

Just hilarious how one mag rags on the gear change so hard and the other absolutely loves it. Know what that tells you.....nothing. Find out how you like it.

Agree, like anything really. At one stage, I was thinking there are issues with steering, brakes, steering wheel, exhaust, transmission, uneventful interior, poor ride on the 19s, over active traction control, crappy idrive software, bad sound from ice... oh no, what a calamity - how could I buy such a car, I'm doomed, I'll be laughed at... blah blah blah...

And now that I have it, none of the above apply - none of it. These journos don't live with the car, they have it a short while. They also have to sell as many magazines as they possibly can. The ONLY issue I had was seat height, which I finally got sorted last night. MPG, well what do you expect, but it has actually got much much better.

JB!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
ChrisW
Enlisted Member
Rep

Top Gear plainly set out to have a go at the M3. Lots in the text actually heaps praise and is not consistent with the headlines or conclusions. We can't knock them for giving their opinion on which is the better car (and maybe they are right) but a more balanced analysis would have been welcome.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
Agree, like anything really. At one stage, I was thinking there are issues with steering, brakes, steering wheel, exhaust, transmission, uneventful interior, poor ride on the 19s, over active traction control, crappy idrive software, bad sound from ice... oh no, what a calamity - how could I buy such a car, I'm doomed, I'll be laughed at... blah blah blah...

And now that I have it, none of the above apply - none of it. These journos don't live with the car, they have it a short while. They also have to sell as many magazines as they possibly can. The ONLY issue I had was seat height, which I finally got sorted last night. MPG, well what do you expect, but it has actually got much much better.

JB!

How did you get the seat issue sorted?

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The Cayman beating the M3 I can live with, it is without a doubt a better sportscar, above even the 997 as well, but for the C63 to win is something I can not agree with. How thay can put a car with an automatic box ahead of a manual car and call it a better driver's car is beyond my understanding. Sure if you want brute force the C63 is the animal to go for but not the rest of the package.

As for Mr Clarkson, well there is no doubt he was mighty impressed with the RS4 but has he actual tested the car? Personally I reckon he will like the new M3 a lot more than any of the previous versions.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Top Gear has always been bias against BMW's and German cars in general, IMO. Especially Clarkson himself. I remember the episode when he tested the CGT and he said that it did'nt have soul, i just turned off the TV after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
How did you get the seat issue sorted?

-Adam

I take it you are asking how I adjusted the seat and steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Some points on the TG review:

Do they really say that the Cayman is faster in straight line?
Do they really say M3's backseats is only suitable for kids?
Do they really say the Cayman is better due to its higher status for the badge buyers?

This was a really entertaining read! Maybe the meal wasn't tasty enough at the last BMW event!?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Caught that one as well. What an absolute joke. There is not a single straight line speed contest in which the Cayman S will outperform the M3. Sure it may be a bit faster in corners and may "feel" better for some in them, but I can't find a track in which that advantage gets it ahead of the M3. Maybe in a sports arena parking lot auto cross event...

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Some points on the TG review:

Do they really say M3's backseats is only suitable for kids?
Do they really say the Cayman is better due to its higher status for the badge buyers?

This was a really entertaining read! Maybe the meal wasn't tasty enough at the last BMW event!?

Best regards, south
Check also what someone else wrote about this report on the other Forum...
Incredible South, what some people is able to write......
ciao
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
Check also what someone else wrote about this report on the other Forum...
Incredible South, what some people is able to write......
ciao
Just read that, it's always the same guy...not the only "weak point" of that forum though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Caught that one as well. What an absolute joke. There is not a single straight line speed contest in which the Cayman S will outperform the M3. Sure it may be a bit faster in corners and may "feel" better for some in them, but I can't find a track in which that advantage gets it ahead of the M3. Maybe in a sports arena parking lot auto cross event...
Yeah, let's talk about TG's credibility then...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

So, obviously it seems we are all in agreement that the TG mag review was bogus. Some things to note though:

-Jeremy Clarkson didn't write that review.

-When JC did review the M5 on the tv show he hated it absolutely.. until he pushed that little 'M' button of hell on earth. Then he absolutely adored the M5. His biggest gripe about the car in general was just having to set up all the idrive electronics before setting out on a drive, which was a hassle for someone reviewing but someone buying the car to own it for years on end would only have to do that once, ever. So sometimes there is much to be read between the lines on Top Gear.

-As for TG in general being biased against BMW I can't outright dispute that. They rarely give a normal BMW AG car a great review because of their immense popularity as business luxury sedans, which is justified in saying they can be boring and very suit&tie. However, their last review on the M3 was pretty good if memory serves. They played a joke on how it looks just like a normal 3-series and how he almost couldn't find it in a parking lot. Which spoke to me more as them having fun with it than actually critiquing the car on a problematic area. I think TG likes M they just don't have the time to set up the idrive for every review. JC also loved the M3 CSL, and the M5/M6 when he took them to the Isle of Man.

So we can safely say that that article's purpose was just to sell magazine copies.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
Top Gear has always been bias against BMW's and German cars in general, IMO. Especially Clarkson himself. I remember the episode when he tested the CGT and he said that it did'nt have soul, i just turned off the TV after that.
Why are they so biased? Does it have to do with a previous world war?
      11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Thank you so much for posting the articles!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Why are they so biased? Does it have to do with a previous world war?
LOL, that would make them biased against MB, Porsche, Audi, and VW as well. Which clearly they aren't. They consider the S-class to be the supreme luxury sedan of every generation. They think the R8 is the greatest thing since the wheel was invented. And Richard Hammond loves Porsche.

Not to mention that they hate American cars, which totally debunks anything relating to World War history.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
LOL, that would make them biased against MB, Porsche, Audi, and VW as well. Which clearly they aren't. They consider the S-class to be the supreme luxury sedan of every generation. They think the R8 is the greatest thing since the wheel was invented. And Richard Hammond loves Porsche.

Not to mention that they hate American cars, which totally debunks anything relating to World War history.
lol good point
      11-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #21
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:

The funny thing is Richard Hammond owns a classic muscle car and Clarkson owns a Ford GT.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 11:42 PM   #22
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

uh oh... m3post dismissing a negative review?

I think I can already hear ruff typing...
Appreciate 0