BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

WTF!? is causing the vibrations!!

So I and a few others have posted some stuff about vibrations, brake groun, etc.

My issue is I've had a steering wheel wobble at about 80mph or higher and when braking, It's magnafied in the steering wheel.

This issue started when I installed 12mm spacers all around with my stock 18" wheels to clear my APracing BBk I had installed.

Before then, it was smooth as a jet liner way past 80mph or higher.

I had slight brake groun coming from the Front/Left brake at only 1~2 mph before coming to s stop, very light vibration.

Now I've installed new ARC-8 wheels, no spacers. Dealer did all the road force balancing, alignment and some undercarriage work that need to be done. Brake groun somehow now is gone and they didn't do anything to the brakes.

I got up to speed about 80mph and I still have the vibration and it's amplified when braking just like before.

The PS2's are only about 4,000 miles old and I have this problem with the original tires/wheels as well as new tires.

I do not feel a puls feedback in the brake pedal but that could be because of it's design might not allow feedback to the pedal like on old cars with a warped disc.

Tonight i removed the wheels, rotated the front disc's by hand and i don't feel the groun or the brake pads grapping at certain area's of the disc like I did before. The disc's seem to rotate very smoothly through out full rotations.

So, what the hell can this be???!!! The only other options are to have th front wheels road force balanced again and get new front disc's which are very expensive and my BBK has had NO track time and only have about 6,000 miles on them with proper bed-in.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Do you have hub centric rings installed? If so, they must be exactly the right size, or the wheel won't center on the hub which will give you the vibration you describe. Also, check to make sure no wheel weights have fallen off.

Good luck

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post

This issue started when I installed 12mm spacers all around with my stock 18" wheels to clear my APracing BBk I had installed.
Then I assume the BBK was an addition at the same time? If so, it seems you have eliminated everything as the cause except the brake rotors.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

The spacers where installed the same day as the AP BBK in order for the OEM 18" wheels to clear the Calipers and therefore the vibration started that day. The spacers where obviously hub-centric to fit the hub & stock wheels.

Now like I mentioned, I have ARC-8 wheels which are ALSO Hub-centric and DO NOT require any centering rings or spacers. It's wheel directly attached to the disc hat.

So it's got to be two things I guess as you guys indicated. Either the wheels need further balancing or it's the discs. If it's the discs (which I think so at this point) then I doubt AP or Stilen is going to replac them.

I wonder, can these strap-drive type front disc's be resurfaced?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

any possiblity of a bent rim?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I doubt it, OEM rims never hit anything and the ARC-8 are band new. Installed last week.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
If it's the discs (which I think so at this point) then I doubt AP or Stilen is going to replac them.
Why not, you paid for true rotors? The alignment shop can verify the amount of runout in them. And since they are two piece rotors, a problem could be in the hat, not the rotor disc itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
Why not, you paid for true rotors? The alignment shop can verify the amount of runout in them. And since they are two piece rotors, a problem could be in the hat, not the rotor disc itself.

Well I hope you're right. Rotors are a wear item so I figure no one is going to warrenty them or replace them just because of this issue. I'll try to contact the shop I purchased the BBK from, then Stilen. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I just had these same experiences and it was because of a bent front rim... Just letting you know i would def have the wheels looked at!