BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #45
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Thanks for the review - helpful. I've done Watkins for the past 2 years at CCA HPDEs. My most recent visit was on stock pads w/ high temp fluid and Michelin PSS tires. I got bumped from the Intermediate to the Advanced run group. I was keeping pace with the bulk of the group by running consistently in the low to mid 2.20's.

While not an expert by any means, I have about 25 days on track with some good formal education (Skip Barber Advanced Car Control and 2 Day Advanced Racing School plus a few M schools and a Bondurant 3 Day Racing Program). This year, my 5th putting the e92 on track, I'd like to swap into a more aggressive tire (thinking Toyo Rs) and upgrade pads on OE rotors.

I'm torn between a dedicated track pad (Pagid RS 19s) vs. something better than stock like the StopTech street performance. I've been making OE work, so I just wonder how much more I need if I only plan to run 6 track days next year?

What is your feedback on the StopTech pads at Watkins?
They were fine for me but everyone's driving style is different. I made that post a while ago and have switched to PFC08. I never faded the STs but I wanted to try something different and I like the PFCs better. The pedal feels firmer and I have more confidence in them. The STs are cheaper though. I do like them, but I think the pedal feel is a little vague at higher temps compared to the PFCs.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #46
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
ST street pads can do ok on the track with cooling. Otherwise they overheat and glaze over...rendering them useless.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #47
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
ST street pads can do ok on the track with cooling. Otherwise they overheat and glaze over...rendering them useless.
That wasn't my experience with them and I was running decent times. I didn't have cooling.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #48
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you're going to track your car, get race pads. This car is freaking heavy and you will pump a ton of heat into the pads. ST street pads/BBK pads aren't meant for this type of abuse. I mean maybe on a lighter platform. Remember 0.5mv^2. It's a fast and heavy car. The energy has to go somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #49
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
This works with the ladies too...
Lol!
      01-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #50
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
That wasn't my experience with them and I was running decent times. I didn't have cooling.
Cooling will make a huge difference with these pads. They are not high temp pads so keeping heat in check will is important. They, like any other street compound, will not respond well to being overheated and basically turn to bricks and glaze over.

With track pads, you normally will not get any obvious signs that you are overheating them because most will retain a good amount of bite even when operating beyond the designed temp range. But you'll find out in the paddock when you're scratching your head saying, "where did my brake pad go?"
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #51
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Bump up for my take on the Stoptech SP pads. I was able to go with the bare essentials in track upgrades this year but knew I would have to wait for a BBK until next year. After dumping money into wheels, tires, and camber plates, I was looking for a budget pad that would be better than stock. I also preferred to not be changing pads as the stock calipers are a bit of a pain to work with. Heat management is obviously my primary concern and per emails with Stoptech, their Street Performance pad has a MOT up to about 1300F which is good.

I flushed with ATE super blue and put Stoptech pads on front and rear back in April and ran 3 days in the spring and 3 in the summer. I didn't push them to their limits until the last day (yesterday) but feel that I was safely at their full abilities. At Pacific Raceways there are 10 turns and turn 2 ends a long straight where our cars can see 150mph. Braking before turns 2 and 3a are the hardest braking points and besides these points, the track is not hard on brakes.

For turn 2 I was consistently somewhere between 140-150 for multiple laps (no traffic), braking down to about 60-70 for turn-in, accelerating to 100-110 then braking downhill to about 35 at 3A. Bite began to suffer some after 1-2 laps and pedal became softer after 3 laps but power was always there. I did have to brake harder due to some fade, but I never felt like there were any concerning control issues. Release is pretty gentle as these pads don't bite hard and pad wear is as expected, some loss but not major. Rotor wear has been minimal and dusting is moderate. I'm running NT05s square 275s this year and air temps for yesterdays session started at about 65F then up to 80F.

All in all these pads work very well as a budget option for my location and I would definitely recommend them for here in the Seattle area where temps aren't extreme and our tracks aren't brutal on brakes. On the street they have less initial bite than OEM but otherwise are about the same. Next year I'll be going with an ST60 front kit, SS lines all around, and likely try running the same pads.
So since I live in Seattle as well I would like your opinion on these vs the Ferodo DS2500's? I have seen your car a few times at Group2 I think (I work right by there at Measurement Tech if you have happened to see a Space Grey M3 parked outside. Anyhow, Chris at G2 is swaying me towards the 2500's, I wondered if you had any insight to that?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:57 AM   #52
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
So since I live in Seattle as well I would like your opinion on these vs the Ferodo DS2500's? I have seen your car a few times at Group2 I think (I work right by there at Measurement Tech if you have happened to see a Space Grey M3 parked outside. Anyhow, Chris at G2 is swaying me towards the 2500's, I wondered if you had any insight to that?
What does Chris sell? That's what he'll sway you towards. He seems honest and probably knows his stuff but I'd ask if he has personal track experience with them.
I don't have experience with the DS2500's but I hear they're supposed to be pretty similar to the Stoptechs. Alas, I sold my car and gave up the track days until later in life when I can actually afford it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #53
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
What does Chris sell? That's what he'll sway you towards. He seems honest and probably knows his stuff but I'd ask if he has personal track experience with them.
I don't have experience with the DS2500's but I hear they're supposed to be pretty similar to the Stoptechs. Alas, I sold my car and gave up the track days until later in life when I can actually afford it.
Thats too bad to hear about selling the car, I fear that may be catching up to me in the next year or two. Going to try and enjoy it now while I don't have kids.

He does sell the Ferodo's, but I've read quite a bit about them and the Stoptechs. I will dig a bit deeper but from I hear they are both pretty similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #54
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
HAHAHA

anyway I just picked up the ST streets after I cooked the OEM pads after 2 track days. I should be able to get one more track day in this season it seems so I am anxious to see how they perform. I just put them on this weekend but they feel pretty good so far. I agree with OP they have a more "natural feel" I was used to the initial bite of the stock pads so much that I initially felt like the ST werent working correctly, but so far it feels like they are stopping just fine
i just changed from stock pad to ST streets performance, that's exactly my impression as well, I too thought was the pads / brake lines not working properly! the stock's pad has a lot of initial bite while the ST SP pads seems to be more linear.
Appreciate 0