BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
1.) if you think the 09 is gonna have any less problems than the 08, then get ready for a dose of reality!
+1
For proof just checkout the Fluttering/Buffeting Noise problem in the 2007 335i E93, that still exists in the 2008 MY E93 units: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218612

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ohhh ASAP, this sounds pretty dangerous!

i m going to take delivery friday or at the upcoming week ( i started to hate my dealer for this, tomorrow he ll give me a call if he manages to get my baby ready till friday... lazzy ass...i saw it allready finished and ready )

As mentioned above, give bmw a call on this, it sounds like a really serious problem and i think, if itīs "just" a software-fault it might be repaired and fixed on all m3s (i guess they all ve the same software, dont they?) pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #25
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
Hans, I respect you that you made your own decision to go with C63AMG. But, Why come to this threads and say stuff like that?

I know that most MB owners are old and they don't know what internet is. So you get bored and come to E92 websites to praise C63AMG everytime huh?

If you don't have anything to add to this, don't just come and say ' that's why I bought a C63 AMG'
Actually the C63 does seem to have much fewer problems but that's because the engine and tranny in the C63 are not brand new like the M3. They've been used in the other AMG cars like the E63 and CLS63 for a few years now so they've had a lot of time to iron out the problems. Problems are to be expected on a new platform no matter what manufacturer you're talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
BMW should prioritizing this issue as others have noted similar problems with the DCT. The last this BMW needs considering the value of the dollar vs the Euro and declining sales is a class action law suit.
Actually, BMW has increased their overall sales despite the economy. The only declining sales have been in the motorcycle division. Long live the 3!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #27
bahnstormer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 550I, 6spd.07 MCS 09 m3 DCT

I know this maybe off the topic a little but back in 2001 I brought a MB CLK55 and I only owned it for 7 months because of all the problems it had. It was in the shop more time then it was parked in my yard. The A - whole that was in charged of the region that I live in would buy back my car. Ever since then I said to myself self I will never ever buy a MB again. I do think that the C63 looks like a great car but beware they also do have many problems. I know this is not much but they are having problem high speed balancing there tires when they go in for service thats just one. Sorry for the long post but when people start bashing 2 different brands its just dumb. We should be bless that we are able to afford such fine cars....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
3100 flawless DCT miles here. Including 4 LC starts.
      07-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #29
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
ooooo good gossip!

Jason

AHHHHhhhh yes, I thought everyone knew about that... don't you guys read the "M3 vs" forum? You mean you're not interested in other cars? You mean I'm NOT the center of the M3post universe?
I had a bad cam position sensor but the car was fine.... except for the check engine light!! Major buzzkill at 60 miles. Dealer swapped it for a new sensor while I drove around pimpin' in an E350.

I truly believe my C63 will be more reliable than the comparably equipped '08 M3 DCT Sedan I ordered (which should arrive any day now!) I am well aware of the fact MB had serious quality issues about 5 years ago. Their ratings slipped and MB learned from that. The new C was engineered and tested with this in mind. (or is that the marketing talking? LOL. I don't think so, comparing the limited owner experiences I'm reading on both boards)

I originally thought and accepted the fact that as an '08 M3 buyer, with DCT, I'd be in for a few glitches. On further examination I realized that 1) I hate going to the dealer because I just don't trust them and 2) Whether or not I actually HAVE an issue, if I just READ about it, it worries me and the worrying detracts from my ownership experience. In April and early May I was already reading enough stuff on this board to sway me away from the M3. Solution? Don't read the board. But my board addiction is almost as bad as my car addiction.

They ARE both great cars; I cannot believe how good they are. Driving my econocar-based Evo most days makes me appreciate German refinement soo much more. We are all very fortunate. I won't troll anymore, PROMISE!
      07-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Now where's that troll spray I used... ah here it is.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #31
Tut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe (Sold), 2016 M3

Cool Happened Once

This same problem happened to me immediately after taking delivery of the car 2 months ago. It only happened once though. It really took me by surprise and I was just beginning to get used to the car. So, my guess is that the car was in the D mode not S, since I was not very familiar with car yet. It happened while turning at a very low speed in a strip mall, the car died but luckily I didn't have any cars behind me and I immediately pushed the Start button and it never happened since in either mode. My break-in period is almost over (100 miles to go),
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #32
Rennteam
Rep
Drives: M3 Cab DKG

Thanks for your numerous replies, guys. I really appreciate it.
I'll be in direct contact to BMW this morning, apparently my dealer is worried about this incident too. We still think it is some sort of a software bug but my dealer is going to run some diagnostics on it and we'll see.
The fact that it seems that it happened to other people before(YES, it happens VERY seldom, only in a certain defined situation) because the engine cannot stall with DCT in auto mode(at least it shouldn't), indicates a software problem.
Yes, the idle rev is very low on my car and sometimes it drops down to 500 rpm or slightly lower when I hit the brakes before I come to a complete or almost complete stop at a very low speed. I don't know if this is normal.

The engine stops and DCT enters N mode, this is for sure, I don't know the reason and it shouldn't happen.
Regarding "S5": I always press the button slightly below the DCT "shift" knob until I get all five LCD bars lightning up. This is only needed with auto mode, in manual mode I always have five LCD bars since I also have the POWER button active and set to Sport mode. I hope this clarifies the confusion.

The main problem is that my dealer has no clue what the problem could be since DCT is very new(note: I live near Munich and my dealer has close ties to BMW) and the M3 Cab they sold is the first DCT car they ever sold.

Btw: a little information for M3 Cab owners. BMW offers the M Driver's Package(the one which raises the Vmax from 250 kph to 280 kph) for the M3 Cab too, I get the unlock code as soon as I hit 2000 km(first service).
This also includes a driving school package but it is NOT mandatory as wrongly stated by other sources. I don't know if this package is available to US owners too, just wanted to mention that the M3 Cab is ready for it, no changes/mods are necessary. I talked to somebody at M and he told me that the car hits TRUE 290 kph with this package, the speedo will be showing up to 308 kph depending on tire type and pressure. Sounds great to me.

Another hint: my M3 Cab had no HiFi package/etc. installed, just the Navi Pro system with standard speakers, what a shame. BMW apparently offers now an ALPINE retrofit system which includes an amplifier and two speakers for their standard system. With this retrofit, the sound is much better, so if your car came with the standard speaker system, you may be able to retrofit something better and something which doesn't mess with your car's electronics/wiring. It is apparently just a plug'n play job.

I'll keep you updated with the DCT engine stalling issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #33
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
Now where's that troll spray I used... ah here it is.
Going to have to side with the majority here Hans....

It was great seeing and driving your car, but you have had problems with your car (as you got called out on) and your post above that started this small backlash was defintiely fairly high on the troll-o-meter...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #34
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
you have had problems with your car..
Just one problem, singular. Not a major failure and an easy fix.

My point is.... why can't BMW get this stuff RIGHT, right out of the gate? I think the car's great, the technology is great, and I was extremely impressed with your demonstration of M-DCT. It is a pretty awesome unit. My issue is that BMW didn't get it quite right, right off the bat. People are having some troubles. I had a problem with that, and that's part of why I didn't buy the car. BMW should do better. They lost one sale, big deal I guess.
      07-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #35
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Just one problem, singular. Not a major failure and an easy fix.

My point is.... why can't BMW get this stuff RIGHT, right out of the gate? I think the car's great, the technology is great, and I was extremely impressed with your demonstration of M-DCT. It is a pretty awesome unit. My issue is that BMW didn't get it quite right, right off the bat. People are having some troubles. I had a problem with that, and that's part of why I didn't buy the car. BMW should do better. They lost one sale, big deal I guess.
You are seriously delusional if you think any car was ever released in its first year without problems. I said the reason the C63 has fewer problems is because they used and engine and transmission that has been in use for a few years so they've had that much time to sort out the problems. If you look back at when the E63 and CLS63 was first released, you'll see there was a ton of problems that needed to be resolved too. This is common for all manufacturers when a car is in it's first year release.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #36
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

I sold my 08 DCT recently due to tranny problems and the major iDrive upgrade on the way. If you have or get a DCT tranny check power delivery while in a low speed medium fast u-turn....hit the gas as you straighten up and see what response you get from the engine. Mine stumbled so often it was disheartening. That combined with the fluid fiasco did me in. I will look at getting an 09 but still weighing options. I seem to have a bad habit of buying model year Bimmers that are one MY short of some major upgrade...ie my 06 330i with the "all new" power plant which was dumped after one year for the current twin turbo. Then I get an 08 M3 and being an iDrive enthusiast, of course iDrive undergoes a MAJOR revision for 09...shit gets old. I will be much more cautious next time around. About the DCT, I will say it was pure adrenaline and exhilaration about 90% of the time, the other 10% eroded my confidence in the overall driving experience. My 2 cents.
      07-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #37
Rennteam
Rep
Drives: M3 Cab DKG

Update: BMW apparently IS aware of the DCT stalling engine issue, they're already working on a fix. It is very likely software related.
They told my dealer to return the car to me and to let me drive it again.
I'm supposed not to use the auto mode anymore until the fix is available.
My wife isn't too happy about it, she wants to drive the car even like it is(she drives auto only) but I'm really worried that something could happen if the engine stalls for example when she wants to exit a street into another high/fast traffic street.

Anyway: I just hope the fix is coming FAST, this isn't really a good beginning.

MY car is actually a Porsche 997 Turbo, it has almost 30000 km on the speedo and NO problem at all so far.
Regarding "Hans": I had one of the first Mercedes E55 AMG(the supercharged version) and I can't even remember how often I had to go to the dealership for fixes(mostly electronics issues). I sold it after 6 months, got a Porsche Cayenne Turbo for the family instead and never looked back.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #38
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm not delusional.

Quote:
Assembly Plant Awards
The Mercedes-Benz assembly plant in Sindelfingen, Germany, receives the Platinum Plant Quality Award for producing vehicles yielding the fewest defects and malfunctions. Averaging just 33 PP100, the plant produces the Mercedes-Benz CL-Class, CLS-Class, E-Class Sedan, E-Class Wagon and S-Class. Plant awards are based solely on defect and malfunction counts.
MB has dramatically improved its quality.

I am not as forgiving when it comes to first year glitches. When I give $70K of my money to a car company, no matter what company it is, I expect them to deliver a quality product. That's what I paid for. I am an end user, not another step in the test process.

In the end, all that matters is that we are each happy with our cars.
      07-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
When I give $70K of my money to a car company, no matter what company it is, I expect them to deliver a quality product.
It appears that for a $35k car you are less picky though, yes? You own an EVO if I am remembering properly? Or was it an STi? Either are lacking in the quality department according to your chart.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #40
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
My engine/tranny is fast and flawless too, im sure there are cases of C63 problems just like the new M.
Mine too. Fast and flawless at 1700 miles.
Appreciate 0