BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
IHB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3 le mans blue

Oem - akraevo - oem performance

Well I bought my LMB 2011 e90 m3 in November of 2010. No mods, no comp package...nothing.
I started reading this post in January of \'11.
Since then I\'ve installed dinan software, dinan air intake, dinan peddles, oem cf splitters, oem cf side mirrors, oem cf spoiler, oem black grill, ind reflector deletes and the silver 359 19\' wheels. But the big plunge I took after reading this post for a few months was installing the akrapovic evo exhaust system.
I had my dealer install it for me and before I picked up my car he wrote me in an email how the techs were loving it and what a sweet mod it was going to be. I couldn\'t wait.
Well I got it and I have to say I was a little startled. It was quite a bit louder than I thought it was going to be, the tips are huge and at least on an e90 they stick way out. I tried to tell myself and everybody else I liked it. Another thing I hadn\'t bargained for was the amount of raw exhaust smoke that pumps out of it. I thought that maybe this exhaust was an acquired taste and someday I would love it.
I go to the track once a year but my car is a daily driver and I think the constant vibration is what really drove me to admit to myself that this exhaust wasn\'t for me. Our house rattled like a train was going by whenever I started it and whenever I was sitting somewhere waiting for someone or whatever I always turned the car off because of the vibration.

My car is now at the dealer having the akrapovic removed and is being replaced by the oem performance exhaust. I know it\'s not a favorite exhaust on this post and I loose all the added torque and hp that akrapovic gave me but I\'m starting to realize that oem is why I bought this car and getting back to oem is what I\'m the most comfortable with.

If anyone is curious what my car looks like with the performance exhaust let me know and I\'ll post some pics when I get it back.
If you wanna see what my car looks like with the akrapovic just look up my past postings.

Thanks and be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I betcha most guys with the M Performance exhaust will tell you it's their favorite exhaust. You'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't mind the evo so much myself, but part of the car's appeal for me is it's duality. And a relatively incognito exhaust that can scream when called upon helps achieve that. Enjoy the oem perf exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Yep, I am on my second performance exhaust and would buy a third if I got another car.

Good choice OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I betcha most guys with the M Performance exhaust will tell you it's their favorite exhaust. You'll love it.
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Cold star delete, problem solved.

I would consider the perf exhaust if it sounded good with an xpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
IHB
Private First Class
Rep

Picked up my car today. I think I'll like the oem performance exhaust much more. I don't love the giant cans but I do like the smaller tips, the more reserved sound and less exhaust coming out. I'm holding on to my akra though....you can never be too sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Did you consider just changing out the X-pipe to stock, and keeping the slip on?

I agree with the smell. It's pretty damn strong, even when the cats are hot. I wish they had another set of 100cpi cat at the stock location or 200cpi cats at the secondary cat location. Evolve found little difference between these cats vs. race pipes.

The vibration can be tuned out with most tunes. It's annoying for sure. When you get an EVO you should just expect to have to spend another $1,000+ for a tune.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Weird, I didn't notice much smell at all with my Akrapovic Evolution. My turner test pipes don't stink either.

I like the construction of the Akrapovic, but I didn't like the sound that much. It sounds ok, passable, but my neighbor's Innotech sounds a lot nicer. I'm probably going to get a Corsa for the E92.

I didn't like the BMW Performance exhaust at all. Might as well stay stock.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Weird, I didn't notice much smell at all with my Akrapovic Evolution. My turner test pipes don't stink either.

I like the construction of the Akrapovic, but I didn't like the sound that much. It sounds ok, passable, but my neighbor's Innotech sounds a lot nicer. I'm probably going to get a Corsa for the E92.

Did I read this correctly Kit??? You're heading back to an E9x M3?!??!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Did I read this correctly Kit??? You're heading back to an E9x M3?!??!

Yeah. Pics and an (re) intro soon, gotta get rid of the 997.2

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

OP, you do know the tips are adjustable and you can push them in so they don't stick out so much right? And a simple flash will get rid of the really loud cold start.

01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHB View Post
Well I bought my LMB 2011 e90 m3 in November of 2010. No mods, no comp package...nothing.
Since then I\'ve installed dinan software, dinan air intake, dinan peddles, oem cf splitters, oem cf side mirrors, oem cf spoiler, oem black grill, ind reflector deletes and the silver 359 19\' wheels. But the big plunge I took after reading this post for a few months was installing the akrapovic evo exhaust system.
I had my dealer install it for me and before I picked up my car he wrote me in an email how the techs were loving it and what a sweet mod it was going to be. I couldn\'t wait.
Well I got it and I have to say I was a little startled. It was quite a bit louder than I thought it was going to be, the tips are huge and at least on an e90 they stick way out. I tried to tell myself and everybody else I liked it. Another thing I hadn\'t bargained for was the amount of raw exhaust smoke that pumps out of it. I thought that maybe this exhaust was an acquired taste and someday I would love it.
I go to the track once a year but my car is a daily driver and I think the constant vibration is what really drove me to admit to myself that this exhaust wasn\'t for me. Our house rattled like a train was going by whenever I started it and whenever I was sitting somewhere waiting for someone or whatever I always turned the car off because of the vibration.

My car is now at the dealer having the akrapovic removed and is being replaced by the oem performance exhaust. I know it\'s not a favorite exhaust on this post and I loose all the added torque and hp that akrapovic gave me but I\'m starting to realize that oem is why I bought this car and getting back to oem is what I\'m the most comfortable with.

If anyone is curious what my car looks like with the performance exhaust let me know and I\'ll post some pics when I get it back.
If you wanna see what my car looks like with the akrapovic just look up my past postings.

Thanks and be nice.
So the dealer installed the Akra EVO? No Check engine light or emissions issues? What about warranty? Just curious
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
IHB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3
OP, you do know the tips are adjustable and you can push them in so they don't stick out so much right? And a simple flash will get rid of the really loud cold start.

I pushed my tips in as far as I could. Is that an e92 or e90 because I've read that the tips stick out further on an e90, I think rear diffusers help too but I don't really want one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

They make two different versions. If you got an E92 version and put it on an E90, it'll stick out too far.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah. Pics and an (re) intro soon, gotta get rid of the 997.2
Looking forward to this + the rationale of dumping the 997.2
      01-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

That's on a e92. Even if I didn't have the rear diffuser, it would still look ok. I can even push them in more. I wanted them to be flushed with the diffuser which is how I have them now.
      01-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
IHB
Private First Class
Rep

I got my oem performance exhaust a couple of days ago, I like it. I think it'll be better fit for me all the way around, looks and sound. Don't love the cans though.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
IHB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3

I know I can get the cold start delete but I live in Minnesota and drive year round so it seems like I might need the cold start.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
IHB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45
Quote:

Thanks and be nice.
So the dealer installed the Akra EVO? No Check engine light or emissions issues? What about warranty? Just curious
They won't warranty the exhaust but I'm on my third car with these guys and have a good relationship with the rep. He said all other warranty stuff would be fine but Ive heard it varies from dealer to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
redline9001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5, G14 F150

Quote:
I know I can get the cold start delete but I live in Minnesota and drive year round so it seems like I might need the cold start.
All the cold start does is heat up the primary cats faster for emissions reasons. I live in Canada and drive year around and don't have the cold start anymore and it does effect the car in anyway in winter driving.

As others have said if you have tips sticking out too far you more then like have an e92 model.

I am sure that you have lots of buyers on the forum for your evo.

Good luck
      01-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I am picking up Akra slip-on and I am weighing my options for the x-pipe. I see you mentioned turner test pipes. Can I run turner test pipes with akra slip-on. Any difference in sound between this setup and full evo? I am just starting to research this since I love Akra sound, but I want performance gains too, but cant drop another 2k on xpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #22
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
I am picking up Akra slip-on and I am weighing my options for the x-pipe. I see you mentioned turner test pipes. Can I run turner test pipes with akra slip-on. Any difference in sound between this setup and full evo? I am just starting to research this since I love Akra sound, but I want performance gains too, but cant drop another 2k on xpipe.

Yes, you can run them with the slip on. the full evo is louder and a bit tinnier sounding due to the ultra light front pipes.

Appreciate 0