BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

02-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post

Hamilton MIL-W-46374D Type 1

or

Hamilton GG-W-113

I'd be as amused with either as I would any watch mentioned so far, for a fraction of the cost. Then again, I have a thing for watches that are cheap and interesting.
Hammys are hard to beat for the money. I just wish the vintage "field" watches were larger than the typical ~38mm. This is of course the correct historical mil-spec size (and frankly oversized by the standard of the time), but its just too small for my taste. Lots of companies (including Hamilton) make 42-44mm reproductions of this type of watch, but they aren't exactly what I'd call bulletproof, or disposible based on the price of entry.

On a similar vintage note, I've personally always dug the "canteen" versions of these old military watches. But they are $$$$

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #24
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Anyone have any ideas for where to source / replace the watch strap? Recently got a CW and the main disappointment is the strap...looking for leather or rubber
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I didn't say U-Boats are played, I said that the style is played. If you can get a Nixon or TSOVET (that guy actually used to work for Nixon) for a fraction of the price and the average consumer can't tell the difference, then why would you? You are obviously in it for the attention it brings, so all I'm saying is that it's just a bad investment. Just get a Nixon if you like the style.

Daytona, unique? Hardly. The sales people at Tourneau know exactly what they are doing and paying compliments to you and your "distinct taste" only serves them since flattery often leads to more sales. This happens in all stores.. from Torneau all the way down to places like the GAP.

Nope, not interested in Nixon. If I were, then I'd get one. I like U-Boats and I get what I like, not what others like. I am not looking at this as an "investment." I already made that when I purchased my Daytona. I wore my Submariner Date for 10 years and made a $600 profit when I sold it.

Daytona not unique? Try to find a SS Daytona in ANY Rolex retailer. They don't exist. As for the attention of the Daytona, yes, I agree when you walk into any watch store, they're going to pay attention.

I don't buy any of my watches for the attention. I buy what I like and that's it.

This thread is WAY off subject. All I asked was for a connection and I got one.
Later.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Anyone have any ideas for where to source / replace the watch strap? Recently got a CW and the main disappointment is the strap...looking for leather or rubber
Good service and pretty inexpensive stuff from Panatime.com... Though, I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for so that might not be it. But they have leathers/rubber/NATO styles, etc.

As far as leather, custom is always an option, but I'm not sure how much you wanna spend. LMK if you want some custom recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #27
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
This thread is WAY off subject. All I asked was for a connection and I got one.
Later.
Cool man... enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
If you're looking for something custom, a lot of people seem to like Rob Montana's work:

http://www.thestrapsmith.com/The_Str...h/Welcome.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
Hammys are hard to beat for the money. I just wish the vintage "field" watches were larger than the typical ~38mm. This is of course the correct historical mil-spec size (and frankly oversized by the standard of the time), but its just too small for my taste. Lots of companies (including Hamilton) make 42-44mm reproductions of this type of watch, but they aren't exactly what I'd call bulletproof, or disposible based on the price of entry.
True dat. Especially since you can get a trusty Val 7750 and sapphire crystal in them. Some of Hamilton's watches have crept into an unrealistic price category (IMO), though. For the price of some of their models, you can get something w/ more "street cred" (if you're into that). I do like some of their new designs, though....like the railroad chronograph.
      02-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #29
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

i love uboat watches so much
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
If you're looking for something custom, a lot of people seem to like Rob Montana's work:

http://www.thestrapsmith.com/The_Str...h/Welcome.html
That's a cool link...price point is a little high for a $400 watch...anything closer to $100?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #31
Feyd
Major
Rep

http://www.panatime.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
your youtube account wouldn't happen to be feydfeydfeyd, would it?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thank you...you ever buy from them?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #34
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
your youtube account wouldn't happen to be feydfeydfeyd, would it?
Nope.

Wow, you'd have to be crazy sci-fi fan to name your kid Feyd. I guess it suits him since he's a power lifter.

Quote:

Thank you...you ever buy from them?
Yes, all the time. Quick shipping and great customer service... He ships via USPS and is out in NY, so if you order before his last mail pickup he'll usually get them in the mail same day and here to Chicago in a couple days.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #35
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yes, all the time. Quick shipping and great customer service... He ships via USPS and is out in NY, so if you order before his last mail pickup he'll usually get them in the mail same day and here to Chicago in a couple days.

Awesome...this is the face and the straps I'm considering...thoughts? I am trying to keep with the "sport" nature of the style

(the stitching is yellow, which doesn't really match, and inside of the holes are red)

#1 20mm Perforated Leather Design “Dots”Strap With white Stitch

#2 20mm Black Gator Strap 115/75 20/18 Red Stitch/Red Backing

#3 20mm Black Gator Strap 115/75 20/18 Yellow Stitch/Yellow Backing

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #36
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Pff, dry cleaner? I drove to the supermarket, parked the ferrari on the sidewalk in front of the automatic doors so that they kept opening and closing, walked over to the cashier, grabbed the mic and proceeded to scold anyone who thought about getting too close to the ferrari, then asked every person in the detergent aisle if they have seen any ferrari detergent, then lamented to the people about how it should exist, and finally end up walking down the aisle towards the door as my cum filled/stained ferrari condom shoes squeaked like brand new sneakers.
shit bro
you need a more boss supermarket.. you need to go to the ferrari market

Marine furniture cleaner.. it refers to seamen (cum). and that shit is Ferrari. It doesn't just get it clean ,it gets it FERRARI CLEAN. Everyone will know you're not fucking around when you are Ferrari clean.
      02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #37
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Awesome...this is the face and the straps I'm considering...thoughts? I am trying to keep with the "sport" nature of the stye

#2 20mm Black Gator Strap 115/75 20/18 Red Stitch/Red Backing

#3 20mm Black Gator Strap 115/75 20/18 Yellow Stitch/Yellow Backing

I'd probobly go for either the yellow or the red contrast stitching. If I were you I'd check out this variety though (availabile in both red/yellow contrast).

I've actually gotten one of these and they are pretty comfy right out of the gate because they aren't as stiff. In my experience Crocodile (real and simulated) can be very stiff durring break-in and and even downright uncomfortable, especially on heavier watches. I've immediatly taken them off of my Panerai watches because of that fact. They look great, but really need to be worn in. If you are up for that, I'd say go for it.. if you aren't, I'd hit up one of these woven look ones.

If memory serves you aren't a huge hulking guy who needs XL straps... but regardless you should measure your current strap to make sure you are getting the right size with the new one, or check out the chart.

http://www.panatime.com/sizechart.html

And if you don't have one, I think he sells springbar tools too... just a good thing to have handy.

And not to further muddy the waters, but if you like this style I'd shift focus over and get one from from this guy... They are fantastic.

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm#ELITE

Site is kind of archaine, but the straps are legit.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #38
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea I measured the 20mm are fine and don't need XL...I already have another watch with some CF type details so I'm gonna stay away from that strap. I'll probably end up buying both and changing them up...the watch is pretty light (which is actually another disappointment with it but trying to make the best of it)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #39
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Site is kind of arcane, but the straps are legit.
+1 broadarrow is good
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #40
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Never had a composite style strap like that...maybe worth a shot. How is the break in for those? In my head I'm imagining the strap could be "rough"
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Never had a composite style strap like that...maybe worth a shot. How is the break in for those? In my head I'm imagining the strap could be "rough"
The ones from broadarrow are molded rubber. Looks woven, but it's really not... so it's super comfortable immediatly.

The ones from Panatime will take a bit of breaking in.. because I believe they are in fact a woven product.
Appreciate 0